Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 08:07 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,895 times

Advertisements

i agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Post and beam homes are becoming very popular. They are rustic and about 1/4 the cost of a log home.

Distinctive Timber Building Kits Inc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 06:20 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Post and beam homes are becoming very popular. They are rustic and about 1/4 the cost of a log home.

Distinctive Timber Building Kits Inc.
Stupid question time. So if I chose a particular style from their photo gallery then the size determines the cost regardless of design.

Basically, I've only bought one home ever and it was an exisitng structure. Though I'm fairly handy with repairs, building from the ground up is more DH's forte.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:18 AM

My is a rectangle Cape style 32' x 40' cost $13500 deliver to building site. cost to erect the structure, concrete slap, roof, and roof insulation another $30000. when my is up, stop by and take look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Stupid question time. So if I chose a particular style from their photo gallery then the size determines the cost regardless of design.

Basically, I've only bought one home ever and it was an exisitng structure. Though I'm fairly handy with repairs, building from the ground up is more DH's forte.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
My is a rectangle Cape style 32' x 40' cost $13500 deliver to building site. cost to erect the structure, concrete slap, roof, and roof insulation another $30000. when my is up, stop by and take look.
So all wiring, heating, plumbing will be dyi or extra $$$? Oh and I definitely will swing by. Thanks for the offer. Their homes look gorgeous.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:40 AM

129 posts, read 246,713 times
In Eastport there have been so few new homes built in town. I think the stats on City-Data say 2 a year for the last 2 years. There's been a number of public works projects in the area, water-pipes, sidewalks, Calais sewer, rt 1, but the amount of old house re-construction, painting, roofing, insulating, etc is pretty huge. You can not walk a block in Eastport without seeing a house that has had major work done in the last few years.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:43 AM

all those are extra and doors, windows, skylights and etc... when is up i will DM you the address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
So all wiring, heating, plumbing will be dyi or extra $$$? Oh and I definitely will swing by. Thanks for the offer. Their homes look gorgeous.

Old 10-26-2008, 03:16 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
While new construction hasn't been booming for the last couple of years around the areas I was in, the number of remodels never slowed down at all. And like Mollysmiles mentioned, if you do good work and are honest, you pick and chose which jobs you want because there is more on your plate than you can possibly do in a year. If you work for somebody else though, don't expect anything even close to what skilled carpenters or tradesmen make elsewhere in the country. Figure about half to 2/3's, then knock off the benefits and you will be in the ball park. Just like anyplace else there are great builders, good builders, not-so-good builders and the guys I wouldn't have build an outhouse for me. Ask around an area and you will soon know who falls into what category. Maine is too small population wise to hide poor work/service for too long. Good Luck in your decision.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:53 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
I only know one General Contractor in Maine. He is busy.

The site-work contractor that I used, is also a concrete manufacturer and has a series of gravel pits in the area. It does not appear that he has slowed down yet.

The last that I heard the Foundation Contractor that I used, is booked solid with work, pouring one foundation per day on average through the winter, three per day throgh the summer.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
While new construction hasn't been booming for the last couple of years around the areas I was in, the number of remodels never slowed down at all. And like Mollysmiles mentioned, if you do good work and are honest, you pick and chose which jobs you want because there is more on your plate than you can possibly do in a year. If you work for somebody else though, don't expect anything even close to what skilled carpenters or tradesmen make elsewhere in the country. Figure about half to 2/3's, then knock off the benefits and you will be in the ball park. Just like anyplace else there are great builders, good builders, not-so-good builders and the guys I wouldn't have build an outhouse for me. Ask around an area and you will soon know who falls into what category. Maine is too small population wise to hide poor work/service for too long. Good Luck in your decision.
I love that word travels fast.. nobody need shoddy workmanship and if DH decides to be a handyman up there, it will work in our favor.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 3,125 times
Thank you for your responses and your honesty. I found them very useful. It sounds like Me is in the same boat as a lot of other places right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine