Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:11 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Anybody shoot or heard of a .348? It was made by Winchester (Model 71) until they quit production and then sold the design rightd to Browning. Ammo is a bugger to find and only comes in 200 grain. Great brush gun (lever action, tubular magazine). Our season starts this Saturday. Rut is just starting here but I expect it to peak with the full moon. My main gun for years was a Remington pump 270. I sold it (like a dummy) to get a 30.06 bolt action Savage. That is what I use most of the time now. I also have a 7mm mag, one of those Savage Model 99 in .308, and a couple of 30-30's. I love me some deer hunting.
Can't say that I've heard of a .348 BobTex. Sounds like a pretty large bullet at 200 grains. We've all sold guns we wish we had kept over the years. Good luck with the hunt this year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 01:14 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,659,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
This is about favorite calibers........... but the arrow wounding comment is just as valid when applied to brush busting with over gunned calibers. Especially when "getting" a deer is primary to collecting edible venison.

The term "Kentucky windage" was coined to describe the taking of "out of range" shots with a rifle.

Irresponsible hunters are independant of their choice of weapon or caliber.
Very True!

Old 10-30-2008, 03:12 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
I have two Winchesters- a 94 in 30-30 and a 1910 in .401...but I'm not much into hunting.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:07 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,627,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
This is about favorite calibers........... but the arrow wounding comment is just as valid when applied to brush busting with over gunned calibers. Especially when "getting" a deer is primary to collecting edible venison.

The term "Kentucky windage" was coined to describe the taking of "out of range" shots with a rifle.

Irresponsible hunters are independant of their choice of weapon or caliber.
Some people are just not taught the right ways to hunt and don't have enough common sense to figure it out. It is a shame. I've killed over 40 deer and never lost one. I am very careful to get a lethal shot or I don't shoot.

How 'bout states like Alabama where the bag limit is one a day and the season is about 4 months long? Large deer herd too.

Old 10-30-2008, 07:08 PM

489 posts, read 1,210,347 times
I went deer hunting only one time, and proud to say, it was in Maine. Lubec to be exact. (while stationed at Quoddy Head) I went with two local fellows. I had no rifle so they loaned me a .303. I think it was a British rifle. Anyway, we all spread out a little bit walking thru woods and I heard something slowly crashing/crunching/walking/ -you get the idea - thru the brush. It must have been heavy by the noise it was making. I couldn't see it, the brush was so thick, so of course didn't fire. Never did know what it was. I'm thinking maybe a moose. I remember us driving to the site early in the morning. The song "The Lion Sleeps Tonight" was playing on the radio, so you know how long ago that was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: