Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 12:16 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,495 times

Advertisements

Halloween is tomorrow and we all know a few good ghost stories around our own neck of the woods.

My favorite Maine ghost story is about the ghost of the Gooseport bridge, in Gooseport, which is now Rockport. William Richardson was a party guy, after the treaty of paris was signed in 1873 and the Americans had won the war, William threw a party, the whole town was downing some ale and enjoying the momement. Making sure everyone had enough ale, William walked around with pitchers of ale makeing sure everyone's mug was full and havig a good time, as he headed towards the bridge he ran into three horsemen, who were offered a pitcher of ale by William, they my or may not have accepted the offer, what the did do is strike him with the butt of a rifle, rode over him and left him to die , as they were Torries, British Sympathizers. The bridge has been replaced but William is said to still roam the area and offer a pither of ale to those walking across or around the the new bridge in the dark. The bridge is on Pascals Ave.
So keep an eye out, and the next time some one offers you an ale it might be William
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 12:28 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,382,450 times
Ghosts | Coastal Maine (http://www.hollowhill.com/me/yh-me1.htm - broken link) http://bestsmileys.com/halloween1/5.gif (broken link)

Old 10-30-2008, 12:38 PM

180 posts, read 555,814 times
I just got here so I don't have any stories yet but I've found this website to be pretty interesting.

Shadowlands Haunted Places Index - Maine

Old 10-30-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamorra2 View Post
I just got here so I don't have any stories yet but I've found this website to be pretty interesting.

Shadowlands Haunted Places Index - Maine

great link. Halloween has to be big in Maine Com'on the Godfather of Scare Mr King, I want to go trick or treat at his house.

Old 10-30-2008, 01:52 PM

180 posts, read 555,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
great link. Halloween has to be big in Maine Com'on the Godfather of Scare Mr King, I want to go trick or treat at his house.
Are you kidding? Trick or treating at Stephen King's house would scare the crap out of me! Why do I think he'd have something freaky planned for people at his door?

Old 10-30-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamorra2 View Post
Are you kidding? Trick or treating at Stephen King's house would scare the crap out of me! Why do I think he'd have something freaky planned for people at his door?
That is the great thing about Halloween, being so scared you have to change your pants when you get home, take your pulse to see if it has slowed down and then say I want to do that again.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:41 PM

467 posts, read 1,125,011 times
True Story!
DH and I had a personal experience once while showing a house about 30 min. west of Bangor. The house was an old victorian that was completely vacant. We had just finished looking at the 3 bedrooms on the top floor and DH was leading the way downstairs with the buyers behind him. I was the last one to start down the stairs and happened to glance over at one of the bedrooms when something caught my eye. There was something sitting on the floor right in the middle of the bedroom's entry. I called out for DH and buyers to come back up to see this. It turned out to be a man's old workboot laying on it's side. We realized there would have been no way to have missed this before, as we had each walked right into that bedroom. We just all kind of looked at each other and decided to be on our way real fast. By the way, the house was on "Cemetary" St. and had been on the market for over 3 years. But the really fun part of this experience was what the buyers did the next day. They left a old workboot at our door when we weren't there, and when we came back and found it, we immediately knew who had done it as we stood there unable to talk because we were both laughing so hard!

Old 10-30-2008, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtofindME View Post
True Story!
DH and I had a personal experience once while showing a house about 30 min. west of Bangor. The house was an old victorian that was completely vacant. We had just finished looking at the 3 bedrooms on the top floor and DH was leading the way downstairs with the buyers behind him. I was the last one to start down the stairs and happened to glance over at one of the bedrooms when something caught my eye. There was something sitting on the floor right in the middle of the bedroom's entry. I called out for DH and buyers to come back up to see this. It turned out to be a man's old workboot laying on it's side. We realized there would have been no way to have missed this before, as we had each walked right into that bedroom. We just all kind of looked at each other and decided to be on our way real fast. By the way, the house was on "Cemetary" St. and had been on the market for over 3 years. But the really fun part of this experience was what the buyers did the next day. They left a old workboot at our door when we weren't there, and when we came back and found it, we immediately knew who had done it as we stood there unable to talk because we were both laughing so hard!
That is a fine ghost story BoundtofindME, just the kinda stuff we need around Halloween. But did they still buy the place? If so any thing else happen?

Old 10-30-2008, 04:00 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
I've yet to see the "lady in black" who is said to haunt Witchtrot Rd. in So. Berwick. She was supposedly one of the many innocents executed in Salem, MA during the witch trials. The story goes that a strange and especially violent storm followed her wagon ride south.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,956 times
I'm very curious why she's displaced....if she died in Salem, why the heck did her spirit head north? And was her wagon ride south before or after her death?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine