Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 12:09 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
Don't think the men take too kindly to women going to deer camp with them.
I met a guy deer hunting a few years ago, he was alone and so was I, we ended up putting our stuff togeather as one camp and for the last 3 years our wives are now part of our fall deer hunt. They love it. No kids no phone, campfires and good food. They can't handle elk season though. starts to get to cold. They can only handle a week in the woods. Not two to three like the guys. Something about too much of a good thing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 04:00 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
Stayed at camp one weekend with my husband, my FIL,my BIL. and his son, who was probably 15 at the time. My FIL made hash that was one big glop of unidentifiaible foodstuffs. there was an assortment of laxatives in the cupboards, I guess to make up for the lack of vegetables.
I got a little too comfy hanging with the guys in our long johns when I realized how sheer the top was in the woodstove light. Seems I gave them all a free show!
But their behavior wasn't nearly as bad as all the stories I've heard about, so I imagine they figured "being good" was worth it. Never found out what anybody thought, they never said a word , even after all these years.
Maybe next time they'll let me cook.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:11 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
I met a guy deer hunting a few years ago, he was alone and so was I, we ended up putting our stuff togeather as one camp and for the last 3 years our wives are now part of our fall deer hunt. They love it. No kids no phone, campfires and good food. They can't handle elk season though. starts to get to cold. They can only handle a week in the woods. Not two to three like the guys. Something about too much of a good thing
Women in deer camp??? Never happen around here!
I tried to take my wife on a moose hunt in 1986 and the other men in the camp gave her (and me)such a hard time she never went again!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:18 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Women in deer camp??? Never happen around here!
I tried to take my wife on a moose hunt in 1986 and the other men in the camp gave her (and me)such a hard time she never went again!
My point, exactly. By the way, most of us are happy to let you guys go do your own thing. It's a mutual thing. You're happy to go, we're happy to get rid of ya!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
My point, exactly. By the way, most of us are happy to let you guys go do your own thing. It's a mutual thing. You're happy to go, we're happy to get rid of ya!
Ain't that the truth! Half the house was rearranged when I got home from bird hunting.
Wifey went out every night with friends and had as good a time as we did!

Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Two small bucks crossed the road near the house at 4:30 am. They crossed to the side of the road I'm planning to hunt this morning. As soon as I get my hair pulled up I'm out the door.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Two small bucks crossed the road near the house at 4:30 am. They crossed to the side of the road I'm planning to hunt this morning. As soon as I get my hair pulled up I'm out the door.
Good luck! Slay em'! Report back later!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:26 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Good luck! Slay em'! Report back later!
<sigh> I did better this morning than the first two mornings. I sat still for two hours. I heard something moving in the woods upstream but couldn't see it. I saw three mice. As for deer, nothing. I HAVE to get a deer. Steve's put so much effort into this for me it's unreal. He set up his tree stand for me. Then he set up a little spot for me in another place. I sat down and he cleared the brush out of the way so that I can see all the way around me. Then he pulled in a couple of small, dead balsam to make me less obvious to the deer. Then he cut down a couple of small, live balsam to help a little more. Sweet huh? But then, on the way home he said, "I hope you get a deer. I've never done this much prep work." Noooooooo pressure here!

There are tracks from three deer in the garden this morning. Oh ya...Steve rototilled part of the garden Sunday so that I can tell which tracks are new easier. There are tracks from the doe and fawn and one set of larger tracks. I can't tell if they're rounder or pointed so I'm not sure if it's a buck or a large doe.

I need to get some work done then I'm going out again.

Hey Ranger! Where are you??

Old 11-04-2008, 07:34 AM

Well, you could have shot the mice! At least it wouldn't have been a total wash.

With a tree stand and Steve clearing for you, you're bound to get one. THIS is your year, I feel it!

We haven't seen Ranger in days! I wonder.... hope all is okay.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:43 AM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
[quote=Maine Writer;5997784]<sigh> I did better this morning than the first two mornings. I sat still for two hours. I heard something moving in the woods upstream but couldn't see it. I saw three mice. As for deer, nothing. I HAVE to get a deer. Steve's put so much effort into this for me it's unreal. He set up his tree stand for me. Then he set up a little spot for me in another place. I sat down and he cleared the brush out of the way so that I can see all the way around me. Then he pulled in a couple of small, dead balsam to make me less obvious to the deer. Then he cut down a couple of small, live balsam to help a little more. Sweet huh? But then, on the way home he said, "I hope you get a deer. I've never done this much prep work." Noooooooo pressure here!

I'm cheering for you. My husband prepped me for 7 years now before I got a deer. He and most of the other accomplished hunters I know don't get one every year. Most times the better odds are with those who can afford the most time in the woods.
I'll be headed back to the tree stand shortly. good Luck!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine