Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2008, 08:29 PM

467 posts, read 1,866,384 times

Advertisements

You may recall me posting this past summer about how I am dying to move to Maine and how I was going to this coming summer, but then I said I had to put the dream off to compromise with my boyfriend, so he could keep his job in Manhattan. Well, the dream is back on again!

I am graduating with my BA in June/July, and after that, it is DBF's turn to finish college (he is older than I, but has not yet completed his degree). At this point, for colleges, we are considering USM and UNH.

- I have family near Andover, MA, which is THE major draw to moving back to New England. While the Portsmouth area is just 45 minutes, the Portland area is 90 minutes, and seeing them would be a regular thing.

- I plan to go into either retail ownership (a homewares/interiors boutique), photography (portraiture, weddings?), or interior re-design (not ASID), and by the time I move, I will have a better idea which way I want to go, but all eventually involve business ownership. But first I need experience in the field. I know in Portland there are a lot of really cute shops that I could potentially work for to learn how to run a store, etc, it's a matter of whether such shops are hiring often enough for me to get in. I assume the same goes for the Portsmouth area. But bottom line, work is most important, especially since I'll be mostly supporting the two of us (also, I do have family support and a trust of sorts, so it's not like we would become homeless or in debt were I not to make enough money). And yes, I do plan to try to get a job BEFORE we move, yes I know this.

- Cost of living in those metro areas. Portland [and when I say Portland and/or Portsmouth, I mean the metro areas, not just the cities themselves, because we can live anywhere within a 15-20 mile radius, plus UNH is in Durham, not Portsmouth anyway] is just a bit cheaper, especially for rentals (and there is a greater variety for rentals in that area, which is very important). There is a good chance that within a year or two of moving, I will buy a house, if I foresee us staying in the area. So property taxes and basic homeownership costs are a factor as well.

- I love the idea that in Maine, you can drive one hour south to the Portsmouth area, two hours to Boston, AND you can drive east to somewhere like Rockland in 90 minutes, Bar Harbor in 3 hours, whereas with Portsmouth, which I think some will argue is so Boston-centric and congested, you are closer to Boston, you have access to the seacoast, but not as pretty and more crowded than mid-coast Maine, you have the mountains, closer to VT, etc... but I LOVE the ocean, most of all.

- And of course, which university, UNH or USM, is going to be better for DBF, also with cost, they vary only by about $1,000 per semester. USM seems to cater well towards the 'adult learner' (they have a thing in admissions where if you have graduated from HS more than three years ago, you can submit a personal essay with your resume in addition to everything else to show your experience, don't know if UNH has that, but he will need to look as good as he can to get into either of these schools.) It may become more apparent which school is better when he figures out what he would like to major in, but he is thinking something cognitive science related, or just plain English, or perhaps Biology.

- DBF is a dog trainer, so he will be trying to make a part-time living doing training on the side, self-employed. Also we have 3 dogs, want to get a 4th, so we are going to need a very nice landlord as well as a house/duplex. And I would ultimately like to rent for less than $1100/mo, under $1000 would be best.

I'm sorry for writing such a long post! I was wondering who can weigh in on these issues. We plan to visit both areas in January and again in April before the move, but I am extremely torn on which one to be more interested in. Can anyone help me either way by asking me more questions or giving me their opinions on quality of life, schools and the job market. I feel like I am a bit different than most looking to relocate to the area because I am a future small business owner, NOT looking to work for a corporation at all, I just need to gain experience in the workforce before I can get out on my own, and I know that Maine is rather entrepreneur-friendly. Last, I really would love to settle long term in one of these two locations, so I want to get it right the first time, so I can begin to network, etc.

Thanks so much, sorry again for length! I hope some of you can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2008, 08:36 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
It takes longer than 3 hours to get from Portland to Bar Harbor.

You will find it rather hard to find anything decent that will allow 4 dogs.

Old 11-09-2008, 08:45 PM

Well, some landlords may not care. If they have hardwood, and we prove that we are responsible, then, why not. Its just finding the right person, I am not too incredibly worried about that, really...

Old 11-09-2008, 09:37 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
Well, some landlords may not care. If they have hardwood, and we prove that we are responsible, then, why not. Its just finding the right person, I am not too incredibly worried about that, really...
True, but they may not have anything you'd want to rent....ie, a rundown dump.
Good Luck, as this has been discussed before and the person wanting to rent had one dog.

Old 11-09-2008, 10:32 PM

I believe that person was looking in Portland only, if I'm not mistaken? Maybe not. Can't remember. Honestly in the past I have found many dog friendly rentals.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:04 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
I will vote for Portsmouth.

Old 11-10-2008, 04:42 PM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
^I'll second that vote considering what it seems you're looking for in your post.

Portland is quieter, and prettier, but the job opportunities for you AND your boyfriend (after getting his degree of course) will be much better in Portsmouth given its proximity to the Boston area and other cities (Manchester, Lowell, Haverhill, Lawrence, Nashua, Newburyport, etc).

As long as the money is similar, UNH is the far better school. I'm a USM grad and I can attest. Of course, you get what you put in and your boyfriend can make the best of both, but the value of a UNH degree is a bit higher than the USM degree.

If you weren't concerned about work and school, I'd tell you Portland. However, it's NOT an easy place to get started even as an small business owner. Just a personal feeling, but I'd say Portsmouth is better for someone in your shoes.

Old 11-10-2008, 05:23 PM

34 posts, read 70,788 times
I second what AustinB and Irfox say. Southern NH has risen economically in the last 20-30 years. People have better jobs, more $ to spend on their dogs, etc. Prices are higher there because people have more $. UNH looks like a plain old rural state U but is a cut above most others. Great ice cream too! I love Portland though.
As you said, you could live on the outskirts too. Kittery is surprisingly nice once you get away from the outlets. There is a town beach where people have a dog play time off season in the mornings. Berwick ME, Newington NH, Somersworth NH, Rochester, there must be some place that would suit you.
It is a 3 1/4 hour drive from Portland to Bar Harbor with no stopping, no bad traffic, no rush hours. Add 1 1/2 hours to that from Portsmouth, maybe longer holiday weekends, Friday afternoons in summer.
Good luck! You're choosing between two wonderful places.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:31 PM

Thanks for the advice, everyone! I would love to live in Portland, I think, but maybe only someday because just logistically Portsmouth sounds a lot better, especially with the no state & sales tax bits. I also agree that UNH is a better value, though in turn it may be more selective, which is tough, but I think he'll be fine.
Anyway we're going up to the area next month to look around. I mean, Portland looks so much more beautiful than I ever knew that area of NH to be, nevermind more upstate... *sigh*
But thanks for the advice, keep it coming if anyone else has opinions.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:05 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canyontothesky View Post
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I would love to live in Portland, I think, but maybe only someday because just logistically Portsmouth sounds a lot better, especially with the no state & sales tax bits. I also agree that UNH is a better value, though in turn it may be more selective, which is tough, but I think he'll be fine.
Anyway we're going up to the area next month to look around. I mean, Portland looks so much more beautiful than I ever knew that area of NH to be, nevermind more upstate... *sigh*
But thanks for the advice, keep it coming if anyone else has opinions.
I second CowHampshire.

Doesn't mean you can't come up to visit us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine