Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 01:22 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Muzzle loading can be a lot of fun! I have never owned one but I have shot one many times. The amount of smoke they put out when fired takes some getting used to. That and the only way to unload it is to shoot it. We hear more shots around here during muzzle loading season than during the regular rifle season! I want to get one someday though I prefer the traditional Springfield type of rifle from the 1860's than the newer bolt breach types that have become popular in the last 15 years or so. Keep your powder dry!
Our eldest son was playing with my flintlock rifle today, while I did the funeral. It was a rifle that I made in 1980. He got one round stuck and it refused to fire. I showed him how to use the bullet extractor, but it seemed to be a dangerous thing to do, so I showed him that the breach plug does un-screw.

If a blackpowder rifle was made after 1890 the breach should unscrew, though you may need to put it in a bench vise to get it to unscrew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 06:30 PM

444 posts, read 928,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Oooh!

Oooh!

Oooh!

Is it a modern 'inline'?
Or the old style?

I have a few of the old style [flintlock and percussion cap] but have been drooling over the new inlines.

Oooh and what calibre is it?
My husband plans on using this tomorrow:

CVA® Wolf™ .50 Caliber Break-Action Inline Muzzleloader Rifle

Old 12-01-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post

ooooooooh

Old 12-01-2008, 10:02 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post

Hope he gets one! Good luck!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:06 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Muzzle loading can be a lot of fun! I have never owned one but I have shot one many times. The amount of smoke they put out when fired takes some getting used to. That and the only way to unload it is to shoot it. We hear more shots around here during muzzle loading season than during the regular rifle season! I want to get one someday though I prefer the traditional Springfield type of rifle from the 1860's than the newer bolt breach types that have become popular in the last 15 years or so. Keep your powder dry!
The smoke does take a little getting used to, as does the delay if you're using a flintlock. I used to do the Revolutionary War re-enactments not long after getting out of the army, and it was quite a change going from modern assault weapons to the flintlock.

Old 12-02-2008, 07:29 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
MW, does it have to be specifically a "muzzle-loader" or do they use the term "primitive weapons? If it's the latter, I have an old Mauser from the 1800s I could loan you- it fires black-powder cartridges.
Zymer, I've been debating with myself over your offer. It sounds great on one hand and scary on the other - what if I broke it? Thank you VERY MUCH for your very generous offer.

Quote:
Oooh!

Oooh!

Oooh!

Is it a modern 'inline'?
Or the old style?
I learned to use the muzzle loader today. It's waaaaaay cool. It's a lot like shooting a shotgun. It sounds like a shotgun instead of the sharp crack of a rifle. It has little noticeable kick and the smoke is nothing like I expected. I didn't think I was going to be able to see through the smoke. The powder is easy (pellets) but I have a hard time with the bullet. When I finally get it started it slides a little easier. It is inline. The cap pops in last then it's ready to go. I'm used to loading in four or five seconds. This takes me three minutes. It doesn't fire without the cap so I can put the powder and bullet in before I leave the house and be legal walking on our paved road or driving to another spot. There is no quick second shot.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I learned to use the muzzle loader today. It's waaaaaay cool. It's a lot like shooting a shotgun. It sounds like a shotgun instead of the sharp crack of a rifle. It has little noticeable kick and the smoke is nothing like I expected. I didn't think I was going to be able to see through the smoke. The powder is easy (pellets) but I have a hard time with the bullet. When I finally get it started it slides a little easier. It is inline. The cap pops in last then it's ready to go. I'm used to loading in four or five seconds. This takes me three minutes. It doesn't fire without the cap so I can put the powder and bullet in before I leave the house and be legal walking on our paved road or driving to another spot. There is no quick second shot.
I have never used a blackpowder that was pellets. I have FFG, FFFG, and FFFFG black powder and Pyrodex here.

The smoke is a straight line. Leading from your rifle muzzle to the target. Right after you fire, if you immediately duck down, you can see the target. Before the smoke drifts and obscures the view.

With practice the old style muzzle loaders can be reloaded and fired four times a minute.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:48 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,540,190 times
Quote:
With practice the old style muzzle loaders can be reloaded and fired four times a minute.

If I need four shots please take the gun away from me! I

Old 12-02-2008, 09:08 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Four shots of what?? If you have four shots before hunting we WILL take the gun away from you!
Maybe night hunting would be something to try?? Hardly anyone hunts at night and the deer stand still in the spotlight for a long time.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:26 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,567 times
Quote:
i had four shots last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine