Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2008, 03:54 PM

346 posts, read 786,584 times

Advertisements

While speaking with a friend from Pennsylvania about modular / manufactured homes, he mentioned that in PA you cannot get home insurance on these type of homes if they have wood stoves or fire places.

Can anyone inform me about these regulations in Maine?

When I put up my house next year, I'd be lost if I didn't have a wood stove in it.

As always, thanks in advance~!

CS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 03:59 PM

722 posts, read 1,512,122 times
As far as I Know if it is L&I inspected and passes there should not be a problem, but call your local Insurance broker to make sure. Hope this helps.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:09 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,935,658 times
Some insurance companies will not insure modular or manufactured homes PERIOD. Some will not insure them if they have woodstoves. It varies from insurance company to insurance company.

A true "modular" home...one that is made in components in a factory but assembled entirely on site, usually are insurable in the "standard" market at standard rates. The rub seems to be if the entire home is made in one or two sections and than transported to the site and errected by crane.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:09 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,187 times
certain stoves are noted to be approved for mobile homes and I have been told they have to have air intake from outside and be secured to the floor to be legal here. Dunno about insurance.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:18 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
As far as I know, the only difficulties with insurance are for trailers, which have wheels and could be driven away. Modulars sitting on a foundation are a different story. They are a house that just happens to be manufactured elsewhere, transported in pieces and erected.

When I insured my house, there were no questions as to whether it was a modular or not, and no one asked if I had a woodstove (I have two).

Old 12-04-2008, 07:18 PM

566 posts, read 1,418,295 times
My son and daughter in law have a modular on a full foundation. They have a wood stove and I know they have insurance. They had no problems. As someone above said..call an agent and check first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine