Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 08:31 PM

4 posts, read 7,395 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

Let me introduce myself, as I am brand new to these forums. My name is Chris and I will be graduating pharmacy school this up coming spring. I am planning on moving to Maine (originally from Rhode Island) and working for Rite Aid. I have only been to Maine a handful of times all of which have been during the summer. I have visited places like Rangely and Calais and absolutely loved them. That being said, I would like some suggestions as where you all think is the best place to live. I'll list a few elements I am looking for as well as a list of the cities/towns that Rite Aid is looking for me to move to. ** I admit that I haven't taken the time to search the forum yet, but my question is very specific so I figured I would post first then begin searching on my own**

Rite Aid would like me to work in the following towns: (keep in mind I don't necessarily have to live in the town that I work in and my options aren't limited to these locations)... The recruiter said "the Bangor surrounding area"

-Calais (been here, loved it, kind of far away from home, seems like it gets really cold)
-Machais
-Lincoln
-Blue Hill
-Ellsworth
-Dover-foxcroft
-Houlton
-Bucksport

Some of the things that we are looking for: (kind of in order of importance)
-Low cost of living (Home, land, taxes... etc)
-Approximately within a 30 min commute
-More or less costal or near lake (trying to stay away from really extreme winter conditions)
-Close to (but not on top of... maybe) places to shop, eat, drink, and play
-Close to a place where the fiance (young business woman) can find a decent job (even a good waitressing gig)
-Schools are not important
-Ideally within a 10-12 hour drive to RI (Portland is a solid 3 hours away from home)

Well thats about all I can think of for now. I really appreciate you taking time to read through all of that! Any suggestions are welcome, even just a good real estate website.

Thanks So much!

Maybe I'll see you in the pharmacy one day

-Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 08:35 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,360,450 times
Cross Lincoln, Houlton and Dover-Foxcroft off your list. They are not coastal and they have harsher winters than the other towns.

Old 11-18-2008, 09:08 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
Lincoln does have 13 lakes and the cost of housing is reasonable.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:34 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Chris, Blue Hill is getting my vote. I didn't even know there was one there! But I'm thinking the surrounding towns might be less expensive to live in, but working in the town would be fun.

Just my 2 cents!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:38 AM

1,297 posts, read 3,516,970 times
Any reason you did not pick Belfast?

Its coastal, the Mrs may be able to get in at Athena Health or Bank of America (or one of a million restaurants) and Ride Aid is building a mega-store there this year. The housing issue is probably no better, no worse then the towns you listed and gets better the farther away you go.

When I asked my neurologist how he liked being in Belfast versus that of Machias, he gave a surprising answer. He said he loved it, but not because of the place, but because of the people. Its a hog-podge of "interesting" people.

Old 11-19-2008, 03:41 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
I love Belfast, too!

Old 11-19-2008, 05:04 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Think of Blue Hill, Bucksport and Ellsworth as a sort of triangle. There are Rite Aids in each of them, and each one is a corner of the triangle. You could live in between any of them and commute to any of them. This is the best of the bunch that you mention. Portland is about three hours from Ellsworth, and a bit more from Blue Hill, a bit less from Belfast. Both the Blue Hill and Ellsworth stores are very new, and of the two, I would chose to work in Blue Hill given the option of the three.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:25 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,874,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Think of Blue Hill, Bucksport and Ellsworth as a sort of triangle. There are Rite Aids in each of them, and each one is a corner of the triangle. You could live in between any of them and commute to any of them. This is the best of the bunch that you mention. Portland is about three hours from Ellsworth, and a bit more from Blue Hill, a bit less from Belfast. Both the Blue Hill and Ellsworth stores are very new, and of the two, I would chose to work in Blue Hill given the option of the three.

Ditto!

If budget allowed, we'd relocate to Blue Hill in a heartbeat.

Old 11-19-2008, 05:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Don't give up on the Lincoln area. We are 45 minutes from tidal water, have 13 lakes and there is a great web site here:

Welcome to Lincoln, Maine! The opening photo is directly across the street from the Rite Aid. They just switched to a winter photo. No, it wasn't taken today. ;-)

Old 11-20-2008, 04:19 AM

263 posts, read 616,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Triangle! Great idea.
I lived in Westerly, RI and it is a 6 hour drive to Belfast. So for Bucksport it is 6 1/2 hours. Belfast is a 2 hour drive from Portland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine