Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 04:03 PM

603 posts, read 1,947,487 times

Advertisements

Hey all,how do you think the economy in Maine will be in a year or so??I want to go now!!But i can't.In your honest opinions,where is the best "city" up there with the strongest economy,but still with a small town feel?I've posted on here before.I want to be able to have some privacy and not have neighbors too close,but not be one hour from work.Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 04:16 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,079,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogcrazy View Post
Hey all,how do you think the economy in Maine will be in a year or so??I want to go now!!But i can't.In your honest opinions,where is the best "city" up there with the strongest economy,but still with a small town feel?I've posted on here before.I want to be able to have some privacy and not have neighbors too close,but not be one hour from work.Thanks in advance!
You can definitely find that here. I have 20+ acres only 30 min out of Bangor.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:45 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
Quote:
Lack of jobs in my field are among the things that made me shelve plans to relocate to Maine. It's one thing to have a nice little rural property, and quite another to easily afford it and weather the financial mess we're in, were I to lose my job. For me, the numbers just didn't work.

I think the 'economy' in Maine is going to be hit hard, very hard, as will just about every place in the country. From an outsider perspective, what is Maine known for in terms of industry? Fishing & tourism are all that I can think of...how are they faring these days?

In my case, the dream of 'Maine living' was rapidly overshadowed by economic reality. Don't let your emotions get ahead of what is practical and realistic in light of everything happening right now. For me, it's time to stay put and hope for the best! Someday, things will line up again.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:59 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
I think the 'economy' in Maine is going to be hit hard, very hard, as will just about every place in the country. From an outsider perspective, what is Maine known for in terms of industry? Fishing & tourism are all that I can think of...how are they faring these days?
Agriculture (we will always have to eat) and forestry are two more large industries. There are smaller industries too.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:06 AM

1,664 posts, read 4,365,480 times
So Tourism and Agriculture (incl. fishing, forestry, etc) are bellwether indicators to keep an eye on...at least that's what I'd be paying attention to as far as the 'health' of Maine goes.

Last I'd heard, the lobster market was in trouble...any resolution to all that inventory that was sitting around, not moving?

Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Fishing and forestry are not part of the agriculture industry. Scallopers are taking the next hit in the fishing industry.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:44 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Fishing and forestry are not part of the agriculture industry. Scallopers are taking the next hit in the fishing industry.
For sure, those allotted days for the scalloper's are now limited to very few.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:43 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
IMHO, The economy everywhere will continue to drop.

Our nation seeks greater debt to prop up failing corporations, this new debt will need to be paid at some time. So we have a failing economy, and it will continue to fail until we decide to stop paying more and more interest on a debt load.

Where is a 'city' that feels like a 'town'? We all have our own different tastes and desires. One person could read that and think of a town of 500,000 population, while another person could think of a city with 5,000 population.

I am not aware of any area that today has a 'strong' economy.

Maine provides 'privacy' with forest growth barriers. Anywhere that your home is surrounded by forest, makes it 'feel' like it has privacy.

If you are dependant on a job, then really to say within a 1 hour drive from your job, makes your search begin with a job. After you have found where you wish to work, then look for homes in that area.

Limestone may be hiring.

Good luck

Old 11-20-2008, 11:48 AM

216 posts, read 682,175 times
Just my two cents, but I am trying to be optimistic about the economic prospects in rural areas of the country, including Maine. I think technology is changing everything, there are more and more oportunities for people in previously isolated rural areas, if they are talented and ambitious. You may not be able to get rich, but there are ways to leverage your knowledge and abilities. For instance, when I was looking for a Christening dress for my daughter, I found beautiful, handmade dresses being sold on E-bay, for a decent amount, by a woman in a rural town in the midwest. She couldn't make them fast enough, and had multiple bidders. She had a talent that, 20 years ago, would have probably been unmarketable, or very limited, selling to others in her own small town. Now she can create a small income from her talent by selling to folks all over the country.

Many people are now able to telecommute, making it easier to move to more rural areas. The growing green movement has made a lot of rural homesteading practices more common.....look at all the folks selling fertile eggs for their poutry stock on e-bay and egg-bid. I read recently that when the economy tanks, booksellers see a huge increase in the number of people buyinmg books on raising chickens! People who develop websites with resources and information on green living and homesteading can often monetize their sites through google adsense, etc. Atists and crafters can sell their creations on etsey, authors can self publish and sell their books on-line, young people can design their own products and sell them on cafepress. I think the rural Maine economy will look very different in the years to come..maybe an investment in companies who specialize in green technology would help creat jobs and business opportunities? But I think there are more opportunities to create income today than ever before.

Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Agriculture (we will always have to eat) and forestry are two more large industries. There are smaller industries too.
I agree.

My father has farmed all of his life and he has never been able to make a farming income able to support himself.

I see many small farmers who are supporting themselves and growing. But often it requires an outside job.

The Forestry of Maine seems stagnant right now. Mills closing, and nobody re-plants so it has always been a laid-back slow kind of an industry. Un-like other forestry areas where each lot is expected to be sustainably re-timbered every 20 years without end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine