U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 14,840 times

Advertisements

I'll be moving to down east Maine towards the end of March for a new job. The office I will be working at is actually located in Surry, but I'm considering actually living in either Ellsworth, Bar Harbor or Blue Hill (or any nearby towns). I haven't been able to find much online about year-round renting opportunities, although I've found plenty of information on vacation rentals.

I will have a modest salary of 30,000, so I'm hoping to pay between 600-800 for rent. I'm expecting to pay high costs for utilities, mainly heating, based on what I've heard; however I really have no idea about what type of heating bills to expect during the winter. So any input on average costs of utilities would be greatly appreciated. Also, considering heating costs, would it be more wise to concentrate on finding an apartment for rent versus a townhouse, small house or cottage, etc.?

I'm a recent college grad that will be moving to Maine alone- far, far away from friends and family, so ANY advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 06:39 PM

19,606 posts, read 27,552,596 times
hi lotus, , let me be the first to say, welcome to maine!

there are many small towns surrounding the towns you mentioned, where im sure you can find a decent house, with that payment range, keep looking at realtor.com, to see whats new or existing on the market.
or, you can call a local real estate agent, tell them what you are looking for, and they will email you whats on the market, and it wont cost you a dime. if you have your mind set on renting,for a while, that falls into property management, which some brokers do, tho most dont, again, if you talk to a local real estate broker,,,he/she can also refer you to whats on the rental market or to a property management agency, for renting a townhouse/house for a while. although the broker usually wont receive any comission, from a rental, they will be helpful...hoping they'd be the first contact when/if you decide to buy a house.
good luck, and again, welcome to maine

Old 02-24-2007, 08:45 PM

4,972 posts, read 11,222,956 times
I would try craigslist and also google "Maine for rent". Good luck!

Old 02-24-2007, 09:18 PM

59 posts, read 253,541 times
Default welcome to maine

Hi and welcome. Check the Ellsworth American Newspaper ,the classified section had some rentals in your range . http://ellsworthmaine.com/site/
Good luck.
Also try The Republican Journal.

Old 02-25-2007, 11:38 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,854,272 times
I second the Ellsworth American recommendation. Do not plan on finding anything in Bar Harbor -- or Mount Desert Island as a whole, for that matter -- in your price range for a year-round rental. But there are plenty of other options in mainland towns around Surry.

Old 02-25-2007, 06:46 PM

5,054 posts, read 11,834,164 times
I actually looked at that paper earlier, and there are numerous rentals in your price range (and mine!) I was pleasantly surprised at the number of houses in the Bar Harbor area that are extremely reasonable. They do specify, as well, when they are seasonal rentals. Good luck in your search!

Old 02-26-2007, 02:57 PM

548 posts, read 2,545,278 times
We used to live in Blue Hill, and chose it b/c of the good schools. Not being from Maine (which I would say is an important factor in choosing where to live...). We loved Blue Hill overall but still struggled with living in such a small town. . Ellsworth, imo, is not as nice as Blue Hill, but it does have more open year-round than Blue Hill, and has a great year-round tennis club (with a bubble) if you play (went a LOT during the long winters!). Being single, those things might be worth living in Ellsworth. Surry is between Blue Hill and Ellsworth, and I don't think I'd like to live there as a single person. Bar Harbor is way too touristy for me. Tons of tourist-oriented shops and totally overrun by them in summer. I would not enjoy living there, and it's also quite a distance from Surry (particularly in bad weather). If you're willing to drive, I'd pick Bangor over Bar Harbor (actually I'd pick them over all other places if you're single and not used to being really rural). Quite a lot (relatively....) going on there.

I think Blue Hill and Ellsworth would both be good options for you...just depends really on whether you'd be ok with a really small town (Blue Hill) or would prefer something a bit bigger like Ellsworth or even Bangor.

Old 02-26-2007, 03:54 PM

85 posts, read 389,656 times
I hate saying a discouraging word about Maine.I lived there in the 1960's.
It was quite costly in all respects. Groceries and heating oil especially.
Maine is at the 'end of the line', so-everything costs more.
Good luck!

Old 02-26-2007, 05:44 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,736,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duff30329 View Post
I hate saying a discouraging word about Maine.I lived there in the 1960's.
It was quite costly in all respects. Groceries and heating oil especially.
Maine is at the 'end of the line', so-everything costs more.
Good luck!

And yet another knowledgeable comment based on 40 year old information.
Shuffleboard a little slow today?

Old 03-01-2007, 04:33 PM

26 posts, read 107,722 times
I grew up in Ellsworth; live in Southern Maine now. Anyway I have an average sized house and I burn about 700 gallons of oil a year, which isn't too bad. Coastal Maine around Ellsworth is pretty much the same thing. It all depends on how well-insulated the structure is. Older structures with poor insulation can cost a lot more to heat. So your heating costs will vary greatly. I would certainly inquire about heating costs for any prospective rental. But in reality, coastal Maine is not that bad for heating compared to more inland parts of the state. It is a lot colder up in the northern part of the state and in the mountains of the western part of the state, and that might be why you've heard so much about heating costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>