Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 01:58 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Yup same thing....we call them hackmatacks as BrokenTap stated. There are zillions of them in Aroostook county.
Do Mainers use this as firewood at all, here in Eastern Washington it get a pretty penny for a cord. $250 to $350 a cord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2008, 02:31 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,242,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
Do Mainers use this as firewood at all, here in Eastern Washington it get a pretty penny for a cord. $250 to $350 a cord.

You could use it as firewood, but it makes for a fast, hot fire. Like the poplar, it could be used for biscuit wood.

Old 11-27-2008, 03:09 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankratt View Post
I don't think anyone would pay for it here. It burns up pretty quick when it's dry, a little slower when it's green but still too fast. You'd be kept pretty busy chunking them in the stove if you were relying on it for heat. I'm burning one now but only because the wind knocked it down a couple of weeks ago, I throw a couple of pieces in and then put my hrdwood on top of it.

Old 11-27-2008, 04:06 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,684,164 times
Tamarack and poplar, locally called popple, are very different woods. Poplar is light in weight and light in color. It burns well, does not snap, crackle or throw sparks and makes a slow fire with moderate heat. Tamarack is heavy wood. It was used as floors in stables and as decking in covered bridges. It is quite hard and warp resistant. It makes a good fire in a firplace. However, in a wood stove it burns very hot and gasses off quickly. If you try to choke off the air or dampen down the stove the gasses will create creosote in a chimney. I would mix it with other woods to prevent that.

Our fire department wants to reduce the number of chimney fires. We don't want to be on a steep snowy roof at 2 AM. We accomplish this by giving away material to put into your wood stove or fireplace twice a month. Just bring your own dry half gallon milk carton and you get enough of this stuff to last all winter. It's a whole lot cheaper and safer than fighting chimney fires.

Been there. Done that and had the singed eyebrows to prove it.

Old 11-27-2008, 05:46 PM

Quote:

Poplar is light in weight and light in color. It burns well, does not snap, crackle or throw sparks and makes a slow fire with moderate heat.
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with this completely. I've been burning poplar for several weeks now and it burns hot, fast, and spits and sparks worse than anything else I've burned.

Old 11-27-2008, 07:55 PM

489 posts, read 1,211,129 times
So poplar must be the same as popple?? Here in Wis they are referred to as popple also. I think Aspen is also in the same family. I had a few popple blown down in storm in spring and am burning them now. I got a full cord out of them. It is a light wood, burns relatively fast. Mine doesn't seem to spit and spark though. I googled "popple" and it doesn't come up with anything.

Old 11-27-2008, 09:07 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Tamarack and poplar, locally called popple, are very different woods. Poplar is light in weight and light in color. It burns well, does not snap, crackle or throw sparks and makes a slow fire with moderate heat. Tamarack is heavy wood. It was used as floors in stables and as decking in covered bridges. It is quite hard and warp resistant. It makes a good fire in a firplace. However, in a wood stove it burns very hot and gasses off quickly. If you try to choke off the air or dampen down the stove the gasses will create creosote in a chimney. I would mix it with other woods to prevent that.
Good info NMLM I did not know that about the creosote, My wood this year is mostly Red Fir, With a little tamarack and lodgr pole pine, and a couple aspens that got in the way, not a lot hard wood out here, you can get it, I had about a cord of maple last year, but thats it. My maple tended to leave alot of ash but burned long and warm.

Old 11-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
So poplar must be the same as popple?? Here in Wis they are referred to as popple also. I think Aspen is also in the same family. I had a few popple blown down in storm in spring and am burning them now. I got a full cord out of them. It is a light wood, burns relatively fast. Mine doesn't seem to spit and spark though. I googled "popple" and it doesn't come up with anything.
I looked it up a few weeks ago, it *is* one of the Aspens, Populus Grandidentata- Bigtooth Aspen.

Last edited by Zymer; 11-28-2008 at 01:36 PM..

Old 11-28-2008, 03:50 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,014,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportFury59 View Post
Around here poplar is also known as one of the "widowmakers". the trees grow tall and spindly and have a tendency to develop rot high up the trunk where they split off. I was deer hunting in a small stand of poplars today and Iwas surrounded by large fallen limbs and trees snapped short. Creepy!

Old 11-29-2008, 08:39 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,425,582 times
The largest tamarack in the US is in Wells at 92' tall.
American Forests: National Register of Big Trees
Has anyone seen it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine