Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:54 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,429,032 times

Advertisements

I received a pound of bacon as a Christmas gift from a friend in Searsport last year which she bought from a smokehouse in Monroe. I drove to it this summer, but it was shut down. The folks in the general store across the street said they had moved the operation to a larger place. I called the number on their sign in the window and left a message, but no one ever called back.

So, my question is, does anyone know anything about the business I'm talking about? Is it still in existence? Is it open now?

If not, do any of you know of another smokehouse in Maine and would you recommend its products?

TIA!

Gale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2008, 12:10 PM

6,621 posts, read 13,488,476 times
I was all ready to zip off the url to you - but it's gone. It's THE best smoke house we've ever used. I don't mind driving three hours to drop off our hams and bacon. I'll ask around. I plan to raise two or three pigs next year and wanted to them to do our curing again.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:46 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,510,321 times
They have good food, but have a VERY shady business reputation. They have had NUMEROUS fires that are often listed as "undetermined" or questionable. They also seem to move a lot, either right before, or right after a fire. They stay in the area, (my area) but while proving something may be hard, the local population has strong opinions about what has happened in the past. Since you say they moved again, if history repeats itself I hope the fire trucks are fueled up and ready to go.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:49 PM

Oh my.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:19 PM

19,963 posts, read 30,084,266 times
thiers a meat market in topsham called bisson's, they smoke thier own bacon,
the owner recently gave me a tour, they have a huge farm, make thier own sausage, and make thier own sausage, and raise thier own beef (arthur bisson)

thiers also a place in guilford (next to dover) called herring brothers, they have a meat market near the road,,but also have a big meat processing plant,,,and they smoke thier own bacon,,,,you can give, tom or frank a call

ballards...in manchester (outside of augusta about 5 minutes, they are a meat market,,,they smoke thier own hams,,,and also i believe they smoke bacon (you can call bret or ken)

has anyone here ever tried some beef bacon??
a butcher way up north told me,,years ago they use to sell it, and sold quite a bit,,, i've got a special order out, (from a beef brisket)

Old 11-30-2008, 05:24 PM

I typed in .com instead of .net. Smith's Smokehouse.

Old 11-30-2008, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
thiers also a place in guilford (next to dover) called herring brothers, they have a meat market near the road,,but also have a big meat processing plant,,,and they smoke thier own bacon,,,,you can give, tom or frank a call
I like Herring Brothers. They process the beef, lamb and pork we buy/barter. They've worked with the farmer to create excellent sausage recipes.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:06 PM

Wow! Thanks MBM!!! I will check them all out! Robin, the link didn't work... but I had googled the biz and gotten the web hours ago. Once you said the link didn't work, I wondered wth was going on... guess we'll have to be a bit leary after the info from Tap. I'd not heard that about them... i.e., their being um... unpredictable... but who knows. I'll have to ask around Searsport next time I speak with my friends up that way.

Old 11-30-2008, 06:20 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,388,318 times
Now, I hold no hope for getting really good Mexican food in Maine. I'm resigned to that. But I imagine there is some awesome BBQ there! I'm going to email Guy and see if he can visit Maine for some "off the hook" dives!

Old 11-30-2008, 06:43 PM

Not really a whiz bang BBQ locale either El. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine