Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 12:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I just saw headless ME shrimp at Hannaford's for $4.29/lb.
Do you know if they were fresh?? Sometimes they freeze them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 12:50 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
I think they were fresh ones by the look of them. I ended up giving in to a craving and buying a few "fresh" scallops. I hope they are O.K.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrackly View Post
I think they were fresh ones by the look of them. I ended up giving in to a craving and buying a few "fresh" scallops. I hope they are O.K.
Hannaford has pretty good seafood. I do ask to smell the haddock filets before I buy them as i have purchased some bad ones before. They make it right though.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:07 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
Unfortunately my DH has bad memories of seafood truck loading from his youth. To him "fresh" means i day out of the net or off the hook. If it's been frozen at sea maybe. He always reminds me of how long the boat is out...3-6 days at sea, 2 days at the exchange, 1-3 days on the retail display. I 'll catch hell for these scallops for sure.

Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 PM

96 posts, read 201,384 times
I'm loving the abundance of cheap seafood right now. I am pregnant and my cravings are for nothing but seafood! Well, just shellfish mostly, but oh, the haddock chowder!!! We actually made a main course of shrimp cocktail last night, such good winter weather food.

Old 12-09-2008, 02:50 PM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
I bought a pound of maine shrimp tonight at Hannaford's they arent as small as I thought they would be. The fishmonger said the season is going to be 6 months this year.....last year it was a very short season because of scarity of shrimp.....but he said there are tons of them this year....;He did say as the season goes on ..... the shrimp have a shorter time they stay fresh....so this is the ideal time to get them. He also said, I would never taste shrimp as sweet and flavorful.

I plan to saute them in garlic butter (quick as a flash) and serve them in the rough on the thin linguini.....with perhaps some steamed spinach.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:26 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,450,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadling81 View Post
I'm loving the abundance of cheap seafood right now. I am pregnant and my cravings are for nothing but seafood! Well, just shellfish mostly, but oh, the haddock chowder!!! We actually made a main course of shrimp cocktail last night, such good winter weather food.
Toady,

Congratulations on your pregnancy! When is your due date? Is this your first baby?

I do not want to alarm you, only caution you. Please be aware of seafood safe ingestion while you're pregnant. Do some research and check with your doctor for your baby's safety, okay? You probably already know this, but since I'm a grammy, I tend to fret about such things!

Here's one link:

Pregnant?* Congratulations!* Now what to eat and what to avoid - (http://deliciousorganics.com/PregnantNursing/pregnant.htm#avoid - broken link) eating <---shoot, the link keeps cutting off the -eating part... so when you get to the page, scroll down to 'What you shouldn't eat'

Old 11-04-2010, 05:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,692 times
Come on folks,cookie cuuter scallops? clam mussels for bay scallops? I have worked with seafood for many years and still do and I have never heard of that bing true.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish man Ed View Post
Come on folks,cookie cuuter scallops? clam mussels for bay scallops? I have worked with seafood for many years and still do and I have never heard of that bing true.
As a kid in Yarmouth I saw people make "scallops" out of skate with a cookie cutter myself. Some elderly people who could not afford to buy real scallops made them. They skates were very cheap or even free if you knew a fisherman who was dragging scallops. From what I have heard from those who ate them regularly they are very close in texture and taste to a regular scallop. I have also seen people take what we called the sweet meat from large surf clams, essentially the shell muscles, bread them and fry them just like little bay scallops. They were a favorite of a friend of mine who was a big surf clam guy.(he still is). He fried them up and put them in hotdog rolls with mayo and lettuce and called them "scallop" rolls. I have eaten this sweet meat myself a number of times and they DO resemble a bay scallop. They are a little tougher when cooked but they taste very much like a bay scallop. There were no Bay scallops around here when were kids just the big ones. In fact bay scallops were slow to catch on because people thought they were just the sweet meat from a big clam!!
This stuff wasn't normally for sale in fish markets but rumor has it the cookie cutter scallops were sighted once in a while.
We ate a lot of fish cooked a thousand different ways back then. We were Catholic and did not eat meat on Fridays. So Friday was fish night for literally everyone we knew. There were some strange recipes and cooking methods back then and a fair number of people who, despite not being well off, found a way to eat some sort of fish on Friday.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:26 AM

48,129 posts, read 22,002,483 times
My Dad swore the skate were used to cut mock scallops.....and he said sometimes you would find the skate wing....with the little cookie cutter holes cut in it. My Dad never misled me....so I trust it was done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine