U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 12-17-2008, 04:06 PM
 
8,767 posts, read 17,348,637 times
Reputation: 3510

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
sigh.

One location within a town in Maine will NOT have a different mil rate, from any other location within that town.

I have no idea how many times this must be said.

Mil rate does not change according to your soil type, or location.

If your in an organized town, then that town sets the mil rate. One mil rate for that entire town.

If you in a UT, then the county has one common mil rate.

Land could be ocean frontage, or hills, or forest, or potato fields; it will all have the same mil rate.
Within that town but not from one town to the next.
Rate this post positively

 
Old 12-17-2008, 04:08 PM
 
Location: In a van, down by the river.... LOL
21,347 posts, read 7,931,214 times
Reputation: 33323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
coastal, i have a house ten miles south of augusta (capitol)
it's worth around 200k i can throw a rock off my deck and hit waterfront,,,,my taxes are less than 900 a yr.

if i were in the next town over,,,my taxes would be much more..

ALL depends what town you are in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MBM... what you just said is exactly my point. My house is worth far more than 200k. You can hit pond or lake water, okay. You live where many would consider it, God's country, ergo, not much there, but lots of natural beauty and good honest folk. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want. I like good honest folk, with more amenities and more people, but still relatively quiet. I do not want as much snow as you have to deal with.

You can't put your house anywhere on the sea coast and toss a rock in the water with $900 in taxes!

I was SO close to getting the house I wanted, right on Searsport harbor for 500-550k. You couldn't have TOUCHED that property on Cape Cod for under 15 million!!!!!!!!

My 1/3 acre lot is valued by the town at $200k!!!! The RE market values it far higher, even in THIS market! There's No relativity between the two.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 04:08 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
33,237 posts, read 54,506,568 times
Reputation: 23732
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
... Take the tinfoil off your head and put on your thinking cap!
My profession is such that I was taught repeatedly the need for a tin-foil hat.

I prefer to keep my hat 'on'.

Thank you

Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 04:10 PM
 
Location: In a van, down by the river.... LOL
21,347 posts, read 7,931,214 times
Reputation: 33323
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
My profession is such that I was taught repeatedly the need for a tin-foil hat.

I prefer to keep my hat 'on'.

Thank you

Well, you're not in a submarine anymore. It's really safe where you live!!! roflmao And besides, didn't I just read a post from you yesterday or the day before where you waxed poetically on the stupidity of those above you in rank? Yes, yes I did... so WHY would you choose to listen to that ringing refrain in your head now that you're retired?????
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 04:13 PM
 
19,442 posts, read 26,742,712 times
Reputation: 37853
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
MBM... what you just said is exactly my point. My house is worth far more than 200k. You can hit pond or lake water, okay. You live where many would consider it, God's country, ergo, not much there, but lots of natural beauty and good honest folk. Nothing wrong with that, if that's what you want. I like good honest folk, with more amenities and more people, but still relatively quiet. I do not want as much snow as you have to deal with.

You can't put your house anywhere on the sea coast and toss a rock in the water with $900 in taxes!

I was SO close to getting the house I wanted, right on Searsport harbor for 500-550k. You couldn't have TOUCHED that property on Cape Cod for under 15 million!!!!!!!!

My 1/3 acre lot is valued by the town at $200k!!!! The RE market values it far higher, even in THIS market! There's No relativity between the two.

not comparing the two properties,,,im a living example that taxes are cheap in maine,,,just depends on what town you are in,, that was my point.

i just get a bit defensive when folks use a broad brush........
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM
 
Location: In a van, down by the river.... LOL
21,347 posts, read 7,931,214 times
Reputation: 33323
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
not comparing the two properties,,,im a living example that taxes are cheap in maine,,,just depends on what town you are in,, that was my point.

i just get a bit defensive when folks use a broad brush........
Give me your example where the taxes are cheap in the areas we're discussing, which for me anyway, is down much closer to your coastline, where a good many of the people who inquire on the forum about Maine would like to be.

What I'm saying is, you can't compare your cheap taxes in a pristine country area to a property along the more populate salt coast areas. No can do kimosabe... or if you can, don't tell a soul... just DM me so I can go view the property - if it's for sale!!! rofl
Rate this post positively
 
Old 12-17-2008, 04:22 PM
 
2,584 posts, read 5,894,768 times
Reputation: 4413
The forum has been nasty as of late. This will not be tolerated. Please take the time to read the Terms of Service. Any questions DM myself or Corner
guy.
Thanks,
7th
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top