U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 07:18 PM

3,231 posts, read 6,991,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Some 401k's allow you to invest in non volatile muncipal bonds and other safe low risk investments. These have been OK for the most part. The aggressive investments have been hit hard.
Sure, agreed. However that's not the norm, especially after I looked at his other posts in other forums.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-09-2008, 07:19 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,343 times
i wish you post this sooner, you could have save me a lot of money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
But I also don't have a clue how his 401 wasn't tied to the stock market. It would only have been protected if it had been moved into cd's or bonds.

Old 12-09-2008, 08:32 PM

21,347 posts, read 7,935,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boonskyler View Post
i wish you post this sooner, you could have save me a lot of money.
Sorry!!!! But hang tight, it will come back.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 PM

33,251 posts, read 54,567,432 times
Quote:
Sorry!!!! But hang tight, it will come back.
I attended a meeting this evening, one of the topics was the group's Janus fund. The fund has lost over half of it's value, and the group is concerned.

A few of the older guys pointed out that last time it took FDR 16 years to get the stock market back 'up' again.

So assuming that these particular corporations stay in business [likely a 25% chance they will], then perhaps within 20 years they may be back up to the values they had 2 years ago.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I attended a meeting this evening, one of the topics was the group's Janus fund. The fund has lost over half of it's value, and the group is concerned.

A few of the older guys pointed out that last time it took FDR 16 years to get the stock market back 'up' again.

So assuming that these particular corporations stay in business [likely a 25% chance they will], then perhaps within 20 years they may be back up to the values they had 2 years ago.

Well, times have changed and that didn't happen after the crash of 87. I don't think it will be as bad as the GD unless everyone keeps talking themselves into it.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:57 AM

502 posts, read 845,134 times
Quote:

I Agree!!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 12:10 PM

33,251 posts, read 54,567,432 times
Quote:
Well, times have changed and that didn't happen after the crash of 87. I don't think it will be as bad as the GD unless everyone keeps talking themselves into it.
1887?

In 1987, I was a third of the way through my career. Making money, investing and doing fine. I do not recall any 'crash', perhaps a minor statistical hiccup.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:05 PM

23 posts, read 136,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
But in order to realize that "quality of life" you must understand what it is and what it is not; what you gain and what you give up to be here. And you will give up a LOT compared to the more populous and wealthy areas of this country have to offer.......
........My daughter lives in southern Virginia. She would much prefer to live in Maine, and I would much prefer that she live here and that my two granddaughters were close by. But they are getting a better education and a better life experience living where they are now, than would be possible in Maine unless my daughter was able to move here at a salary increase. Since her job is not duplicatable in Maine, I have urged her to stay where she is.
Thank you AL. For being honest & being as direct as possible. I have actually been lurking here, and have gleamed quite a bit of info over these past 2yrs. But your exact words are what I have slowly concluded about Maine.... and am thus so hesitant about a move involving a family of 4 w/ a husband who's "rah-rah-rah-ing" for Maine.

My job is transferable, as is his. But my only fear is the educational factors that is at play in the state of Maine. Like your dgt, we have also lived in Va (central as compared to her S.Va.) and was surprisingly amazed at how progressive & positive the school environment & curriculum was. Right now, we are in CA and while the educational system is not perfect here, I can't help but compare it to some of the schools/school districts that some of the "promising" properties are in. And my heart & hopes drop when I see those stats where some of these schools aren't even coming close to the state averages.

And if previous threads about poor internet connection/high fees are fact, then cyber-schooling is no longer an option as well.

Well this kinda turned into a rant - though not meant to be.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
1887?

In 1987, I was a third of the way through my career. Making money, investing and doing fine. I do not recall any 'crash', perhaps a minor statistical hiccup.

Well, you were in a recession proof career with the military. Google it Forest. It was a rather strong recession. The stock market crashed.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:25 PM

NationMaster - Encyclopedia: Late 1980s recession
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine