Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:10 PM

444 posts, read 928,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james417 View Post
sorry guys...just reading all the post....first of all im female....second of all...i dont think anyone is an idiot...im serious...I havent lost any money from investing in retirement....i do have a lot of co workers who did and have lost almost 40% of their savings...only because they invested in stocks...but from what ive been hearing...that could change.....its advisable to leave everything the way it is

i didnt invest in stock because i could never decide which to invest in
Luckily, I have also had my 401K money in a money-market fund for over a year. Lack of planning sort of paid off this time.

Old 12-14-2008, 02:08 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,012 times
Everybody told us to keep our money where it was, but DH got worried and took it all out and put it in the safe fund. But whoever was giving him advice was right. Those who stayed in made up the loses. Can we get back to talking about relocating now?

Old 12-14-2008, 03:13 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
Everybody told us to keep our money where it was, but DH got worried and took it all out and put it in the safe fund. But whoever was giving him advice was right. Those who stayed in made up the loses. Can we get back to talking about relocating now?

:cool :

Old 12-15-2008, 04:55 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Some 401k's allow you to invest in non volatile muncipal bonds and other safe low risk investments. These have been OK for the most part. The aggressive investments have been hit hard.
Agreed mine has been relatively fine, but then again I'm not planning on touching mine until 59 and 1/2 because I don't want the tax hit(I'm far too cheap... umm...er...I mean frugal).

Old 12-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,341,012 times
SPEAKING OF RELOCATION, I hear people have been asking about DH. (You know who you are) Those friends you called in Texas are also his friends. Here's the deal. Do your job and you'll get along great with him. His friends, his team, and his partner are all upset that he's leaving, and his chief has realized she screwed up when she took him for granted, and now he's leaving for more appreciative pastures. His former teams aren't happy either because they were hoping to get him back. As for that other problem you were having, it is exactly that, a problem you WERE having. You know how to reach him. Feel free. He will honestly be happy to talk to you.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:48 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
SPEAKING OF RELOCATION, I hear people have been asking about DH. (You know who you are) Those friends you called in Texas are also his friends. Here's the deal. Do your job and you'll get along great with him. His friends, his team, and his partner are all upset that he's leaving, and his chief has realized she screwed up when she took him for granted, and now he's leaving for more appreciative pastures. His former teams aren't happy either because they were hoping to get him back. As for that other problem you were having, it is exactly that, a problem you WERE having. You know how to reach him. Feel free. He will honestly be happy to talk to you.

Casper, please explain to us all why you would think that anybody from this forum would go as far as to make a phone call to your DH's "friends" in TX.

Most of us are quite confused by this accusation.

As well as your previous call out to another member, incorrectly I might add.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:42 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
One inquiring mind wonders why the open forum would be an appropriate place to discuss personal matters. Let's take it to DM, please.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james417 View Post
sorry guys...just reading all the post....first of all im female....second of all...i dont think anyone is an idiot...im serious...I havent lost any money from investing in retirement....i do have a lot of co workers who did and have lost almost 40% of their savings...only because they invested in stocks...but from what ive been hearing...that could change.....its advisable to leave everything the way it is

i didnt invest in stock because i could never decide which to invest in
If your a RN you may find it easier to find a job in Maine. There is a shortage of experienced RN's. I work in the health care field in Portland. Here are a few links that can help you in your search.

Maine Hospitals (ME) (List of Maine Hospitals)

Maine Medical Center - Portland (states largest hospital)
http://www.mmc.org (MMC Website)
Maine Medical Center - Portland Maine (ME) (Hospital Info)
Unique Medical School Partnership Established By Maine Medical Center/Tufts University School Of Medicine (MMC & Tufts)
Tufts teaming with Maine hospital to train doctors - White Coat Notes - Boston.com

Southern Maine Medical Center - Biddeford
SMMC | Southern Maine Medical Center, Biddeford, Maine
Southern Maine Medical Center - Biddeford Maine (ME)

MaineHealth
MaineHealth

As for the cost of living change. Using this site shows you will need to increase your income by almost 20% to keep the same standard of living in Maine that you currently enjoy.
Cost of Living comparison calculator

Maine has the highest state and local taxes in the country. It is the reason that industry has completely died here in Maine. Maine's economy is based almost entirely on tourism and retirement communities. So the health care industry is the only growth industry in the state. But, the few available jobs with a huge demand for those jobs (those applying for those few jobs) has strongly depressed the available pay. Maine Medical takes about two months to fill positions because of the huge amount of people applying for those jobs. The one exception is nursing. The current batch of idiots the citizens in Maine have just elected are working to increase their taxes even more as we speak.

I like the scenery of Maine. This state has a lot to offer if the idiot citizens of Maine would ever wake up and realize they need to completely reform their state government. One party has run this state for decades and has driven this state into bankruptcy. Mainers are just starting to suffer the effects of their dumb choices. Maine is in a death spiral. Financial destruction is just around the corner. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. One example. A small ice storm just came through the area and many in this state are still without power five days later. These storms happen almost ever year. But, instead of working to make their electrical power grid hardened against this sort of event they are working to spend money on "more important" things. Here is a local newspaper article that gives you an idea.
Maine's Budget Crises - Ten Years in the Making (http://wiscassetnewspaper.maine.com/2008-03-27/maine_s_budget_crises.html - broken link)

My advice, seriously, unless you feel that God is directing to Maine I would suggest that you look elsewhere. I apologize for being so negative. But I refuse to deceive you. You need an honest opinion.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:25 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBuckeye View Post
Maine has the highest state and local taxes in the country.
This is a very common myth about Maine.

No individual tax in Maine is the highest in the nation.

No collection of taxes in Maine is the highest of the nation.

All of the taxes paid in Maine combined still do not equal a higher amount than paid in any other state.

However in the face of factual reality this myth continues.

Maine does not have the highest income taxes, nor the highest tax bracket.

Maine does not have the highest property tax mil rates.

At one time [not any longer] Maine was thought to have the highest 'Tax Burden'. Alas that is history.

Many people move to Maine and find much lower taxes, than their previous homes had.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:36 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
This is a very common myth about Maine.

No individual tax in Maine is the highest in the nation.

No collection of taxes in Maine is the highest of the nation.

All of the taxes paid in Maine combined still do not equal a higher amount than paid in any other state.

However in the face of factual reality this myth continues.

Maine does not have the highest income taxes, nor the highest tax bracket.

Maine does not have the highest property tax mil rates.

At one time [not any longer] Maine was thought to have the highest 'Tax Burden'. Alas that is history.

Many people move to Maine and find much lower taxes, than their previous homes had.
Not again forest!!! Tell us about your high dry land ???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine