U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 07:39 PM

566 posts, read 1,335,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineBuckeye View Post
If your a RN you may find it easier to find a job in Maine. There is a shortage of experienced RN's. I work in the health care field in Portland. Here are a few links that can help you in your search.

Maine Hospitals (ME) (List of Maine Hospitals)

Maine Medical Center - Portland (states largest hospital)
http://www.mmc.org (MMC Website)
Maine Medical Center - Portland Maine (ME) (Hospital Info)
Unique Medical School Partnership Established By Maine Medical Center/Tufts University School Of Medicine (MMC & Tufts)
Tufts teaming with Maine hospital to train doctors - White Coat Notes - Boston.com

Southern Maine Medical Center - Biddeford
SMMC | Southern Maine Medical Center, Biddeford, Maine
Southern Maine Medical Center - Biddeford Maine (ME)

MaineHealth
MaineHealth

As for the cost of living change. Using this site shows you will need to increase your income by almost 20% to keep the same standard of living in Maine that you currently enjoy.
Cost of Living comparison calculator

Maine has the highest state and local taxes in the country. It is the reason that industry has completely died here in Maine. Maine's economy is based almost entirely on tourism and retirement communities. So the health care industry is the only growth industry in the state. But, the few available jobs with a huge demand for those jobs (those applying for those few jobs) has strongly depressed the available pay. Maine Medical takes about two months to fill positions because of the huge amount of people applying for those jobs. The one exception is nursing. The current batch of idiots the citizens in Maine have just elected are working to increase their taxes even more as we speak.

I like the scenery of Maine. This state has a lot to offer if the idiot citizens of Maine would ever wake up and realize they need to completely reform their state government. One party has run this state for decades and has driven this state into bankruptcy. Mainers are just starting to suffer the effects of their dumb choices. Maine is in a death spiral. Financial destruction is just around the corner. Things are going to get a lot worse before they get better. One example. A small ice storm just came through the area and many in this state are still without power five days later. These storms happen almost ever year. But, instead of working to make their electrical power grid hardened against this sort of event they are working to spend money on "more important" things. Here is a local newspaper article that gives you an idea.
Maine's Budget Crises - Ten Years in the Making (http://wiscassetnewspaper.maine.com/2008-03-27/maine_s_budget_crises.html - broken link)

My advice, seriously, unless you feel that God is directing to Maine I would suggest that you look elsewhere. I apologize for being so negative. But I refuse to deceive you. You need an honest opinion.
Idiot citizens of Maine? You may not agree with the current Government and you may wish the results of elections had been different and maybe they should have been. To refer to the citizens of Maine as idiots is ignorant.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 PM

33,340 posts, read 54,735,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Not again forest!!! Tell us about your high dry land ???
I did not say that my land was dry.

A poster is making claims which are false.

We have discussed this many times, as it is a common myth. I heard it in Virginia, I heard it in California, I heard it in Washington.

Everyone WANTS to believe that their cost-of-living is the highest, and their taxes are the highest.

I do understand that many times human desires are irrational.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:38 PM

21,347 posts, read 7,947,956 times
Baaaaaahhhhhhh

Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 PM

467 posts, read 1,050,932 times
Quote:
Maine has the highest state and local taxes in the country.
Not true according to an 8/21/08 article in the Ellsworth American:
"Overnight, it seems, Maine has lost the dubious distinction of being one of the highest taxed states in the country, thanks to a recently released report by the national Tax Foundation. One of the primary sources of comparative data on taxes across the nation, the foundation has revised the way it calculates tax burden as a percentage of income. It has decided that property taxes paid by out-of-state residents will now be assigned to the home states of those second-home owners. That has dropped Maine from up near the top of the tax burden list to number 15 for 2008."

Quote:
This state has a lot to offer if the idiot citizens of Maine would ever wake up and realize they need to completely reform their state government.
That's just really not a nice thing to say dear MaineBuckeye.

Old 12-16-2008, 09:38 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,391,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoundtofindME View Post
Not true according to an 8/21/08 article in the Ellsworth American:
"Overnight, it seems, Maine has lost the dubious distinction of being one of the highest taxed states in the country, thanks to a recently released report by the national Tax Foundation. One of the primary sources of comparative data on taxes across the nation, the foundation has revised the way it calculates tax burden as a percentage of income. It has decided that property taxes paid by out-of-state residents will now be assigned to the home states of those second-home owners. That has dropped Maine from up near the top of the tax burden list to number 15 for 2008."

That's just really not a nice thing to say dear MaineBuckeye.
Not nice though very true!

Old 12-16-2008, 09:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 26,868,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I did not say that my land was dry.

A poster is making claims which are false.

We have discussed this many times, as it is a common myth. I heard it in Virginia, I heard it in California, I heard it in Washington.

Everyone WANTS to believe that their cost-of-living is the highest, and their taxes are the highest.

I do understand that many times human desires are irrational.

if ignorance is left uncorrected, then many folks may think its the truth

keep on correcting, forest

Old 12-16-2008, 11:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 17,391,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
if ignorance is left uncorrected, then many folks may think its the truth

keep on correcting, forest
Taxes paid on undesirable land will always be lower than taxes paid for high, dry, tillable, build able land. Location also has much to do with the value of the land and hence the assessment and taxes assigned to that land.
MBM for you to cheer on forest beekeeper in his attempt to mislead, yet again, the unsuspecting visitor to the Maine forum looking for answers to tax rates, land prices, building costs etc. is to abandon the premise of your own vocation.
While I commend forest’s attempt to make the best of the land he lives on, the fact is it is undesirable land by most anyone’s standards. The fact that you pay very little for tax on that land reflects its' location and the fact it is mostly swamp land.
. High dry, tillable land in the part of Maine where we live sells for at least $50,000 an acre. Land in the swamps of Argyle sells for $300-$500 an acre. Why?? Because the land is nearly unusable! It is too wet to garden, suffers from at least annual flooding, is a breeding ground for mosquitoes and black flies, and is far from any established town.
By telling potential visitors and land buyers that there is great land available for $300-$500 in Maine and your taxes will be dirt cheap is VERY misleading and not the intent of this forum.
If you need to tell people your taxes are only $50.00 a year , far lower than anywhere you have ever lived previously, to feel good about your purchase at least post a disclaimer that you own atypical land in a swamp which is assessed far below what good, high dry, tillable land costs in the rest of the state. To do otherwise is to be very dishonest. Your standards and comfort threshold are not necessarily the standards and comfort threshold of the rest of the people of the State. We pay a proportionally higher tax for our higher standards and have no desire to lower them in order to claim we have beat the system.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:55 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,003,003 times
Quote:
Taxes paid on undesirable land will always be lower than taxes paid for high, dry, tillable, build able land. Location also has much to do with the value of the land and hence the assessment and taxes assigned to that land.
MBM for you to cheer on forest beekeeper in his attempt to mislead, yet again, the unsuspecting visitor to the Maine forum looking for answers to tax rates, land prices, building costs etc. is to abandon the premise of your own vocation.
While I commend forest’s attempt to make the best of the land he lives on, the fact is it is undesirable land by most anyone’s standards. The fact that you pay very little for tax on that land reflects its' location and the fact it is mostly swamp land.
. High dry, tillable land in the part of Maine where we live sells for at least $50,000 an acre. Land in the swamps of Argyle sells for $300-$500 an acre. Why?? Because the land is nearly unusable! It is too wet to garden, suffers from at least annual flooding, is a breeding ground for mosquitoes and black flies, and is far from any established town.
By telling potential visitors and land buyers that there is great land available for $300-$500 in Maine and your taxes will be dirt cheap is VERY misleading and not the intent of this forum.
If you need to tell people your taxes are only $50.00 a year , far lower than anywhere you have ever lived previously, to feel good about your purchase at least post a disclaimer that you own atypical land in a swamp which is assessed far below what good, high dry, tillable land costs in the rest of the state. To do otherwise is to be very dishonest. Your standards and comfort threshold are not necessarily the standards and comfort threshold of the rest of the people of the State. We pay a proportionally higher tax for our higher standards and have no desire to lower them in order to claim we have beat the system.
While this post may be very unpopular to some in this forum, it is exactly what I tried to relay to Forest via DM last week.
I agree it is not in the best interest of this forum for a member to post that everything in Maine is affordable to all. IMO, not everybody is looking to live in a UT or in a very remote area. Many people looking to move to our state still need to have many services available to them. Many still need to find employment within a 50 mile radius. Different standards, different comfort levels.
IMO as well, it is misleading to post in a public relocation forum that the taxes in Maine are lower than most states. That the COL is less in Maine, not everybody can live with what Forest finds comfortable.

Whether you like it or not, Maine needs people to move in and contribute to its economy.

While Eastport is a wonderful little seaside town, small tight knit community - mentioned here almost daily as the ultimate destination. Of course is is, for a lot of people it's a dream come true. They've found a great place to retire. To post daily that everyone looking to move to Maine should consider moving there is misleading as well. Not every young and growing family would be able to find employment there and be able to take care of their family's. Sure, Eastport needs the economic stimulation too, but imo it would be a difficult endeavor for some. The wages in Maine in general aren't comparable to other places throughout the state and /or country. Otherwise our younger generation would not be leaving the state to find employment in other areas. If they could afford to stay, they'd love to stay.

Last edited by island mermaid; 12-17-2008 at 05:55 AM.. Reason: sp

Old 12-17-2008, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Actually my taxes are low here due to a couple of reasons, and you missed each of them.

My land is in 'Treegrowth' status, which locks in the assessed value.

It has nothing to do with: desirability or wet/dry; or location.

Another factor which causes my property taxes to be low is the 'mil rate'.

Mil rates are low here. Mil rates are low for the majority of Maine. A simple and plain truth.

'Treegrowth' land, in a low tax state; combined causes my land [and most of Maine] to have low property taxes.

Quote:
... MBM for you to cheer on forest beekeeper in his attempt to mislead, yet again, the unsuspecting visitor to the Maine forum looking for answers to tax rates, land prices, building costs etc. is to abandon the premise of your own vocation.
I am not misleading. Factual truth can not be misleading.

I am attempting to correct dis-information that others present.

Quote:
... While I commend forest’s attempt to make the best of the land he lives on, the fact is it is undesirable land by most anyone’s standards. The fact that you pay very little for tax on that land reflects its' location and the fact it is mostly swamp land.
I choose flat land next to a river.

I was also looking at hilly forest land with higher elevations selling for the same prices.

Again you misunderstand why the taxes here are low.

It may be considered "un-desirable" to many.

There is no tract housing in Argyle.

However tract housing would be un-desirable to me.

Quote:
... We pay a proportionally higher tax for our higher standards and have no desire to lower them in order to claim we have beat the system.
This has not been my experience.

Living in many other areas of the nation, I have experienced much higher taxes than what Maine has.

Even when Maine did have a high 'tax burden', that status was dependant upon comparing a low average household income to the total of taxes paid.

Raising incomes in another state, does not equal raising taxes here.

It is a bad comparison.

What happens to folks who earn low wage incomes, but are stuck living in high tax states?

Not everyone in California earns $200,000 / year. Some Californians are farmers, working fulltime pumping gasoline to support their farm.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by island mermaid View Post
... IMO as well, it is misleading to post in a public relocation forum that the taxes in Maine are lower than most states. That the COL is less in Maine,
Again: Factual truth is misleading?

Okay fine.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine