Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 07:18 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,463,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Again: Factual truth is misleading?

Okay fine.

Truth for your particular situation, Forest! Again, only for you in your UT! That's fine, if that's the way YOU want to live. It is misleading to others that come into the forum looking for a different type of living in Maine.

You are retired living on a pension. NOT everybody is in YOUR situation.
It works for you, that's fine. You mustn't tell everybody looking to move here incorrect data. It doesn't make sense and I don't understand why you feel is is your duty to post information that might not pertain to them or their situation.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:50 AM

27 posts, read 60,800 times
There is clearly but one way to solve this, for the sake of the public good.

Thunderdome.

Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring.
And, that was $#@& near the death of us all.

Thunderdome's simple. Get to the weapons, use them any way you can.
I know you won't break the rules...there aren't any.

Two men enter. One man leaves.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:00 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Just to clarify a couple things.

I paid $900 / acre for my forest land. I paid more for it because it is riverfrontage. About a quarter of it is 'marsh' or wetland. I choose to place my house close to the river embankment for the view, and to get away from the road. We have 11 huge picture windows on three sides of our home, over-looking the marsh [along with 9 regular-sized windows]. We wanted to be surrounded by a forest canopy.

The 105 acres across the road cost us $300 / acre. It has no river access.

I do understand that not all of Maine is rural UTs, with low priced land. Only the majority of Maine [52%] is UT.

Old 12-17-2008, 08:15 AM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by People-of-the-North View Post

Thunderdome.

LOL

I like Mad Maxx!

"Listen all! This is the truth of it. Fighting leads to killing, and killing gets to warring. And that was damn near the death of us all. Look at us now! Busted up, and everyone talking about hard rain! But we've learned, by the dust of them all... Bartertown learned. Now, when men get to fighting, it happens here! And it finishes here! Two men enter; one man leaves" - Mister Dealgood

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls... Dyin' time's here."

LOL

So my question is: "Who's the bunny? - Maxx"

Old 12-17-2008, 08:25 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Just to clarify a couple things.

I paid $900 / acre for my forest land. I paid more for it because it is riverfrontage. About a quarter of it is 'marsh' or wetland. I choose to place my house close to the river embankment for the view, and to get away from the road. We have 11 huge picture windows on three sides of our home, over-looking the marsh [along with 9 regular-sized windows]. We wanted to be surrounded by a forest canopy.

The 105 acres across the road cost us $300 / acre. It has no river access.

I do understand that not all of Maine is rural UTs, with low priced land. Only the majority of Maine [52%] is UT.

I have been to Argyle I have a friend who owns land near there.
The ground is wet there and to say differently is to be dishonest. $900 an acre is a good deal though again you get what you pay for. Your mill rate is low because the land is wet and most people will not take a chance building on a 20 year flood plane....your words BTW. Who was paddling a kayak through the front door of his place last spring?? That would happen to most people once and they would be gone!
If much of your land is in tree growth you're being dishonest here too as many people would not tie up all of the access and usability of their own land to save tax money. You are posting a lot of misleading FACTS here forest and you know it. You do not live in an average area, have an average home, or live an average lifestyle. Your personality on the forum is delightful and you have a lot of friends and admirers . I just think you should be more honest in posting facts by telling people your situation is unique...by design and not to expect good land at $300-$900 an acre and cheap taxes because this is NOT the case in most of Maine! I could put up a tee pee on an acre of land somewhere and pay no taxes at all! Most people don't live like that!

Old 12-17-2008, 08:28 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by People-of-the-North View Post

Thunderdome.

Uuummm..........your not going to drag Tina Turner into this are you?

Old 12-17-2008, 09:39 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,362 times
I'm going to go through this one more time.

Taxes are a lot higher in WV than in Maine. I can compare each and every tax that I have in Maine and WV and trust me, life in Maine is a lot less expensive.

Case in point: WV sales tax is 6%, Maine is 5% - WV property taxes on this house which is 100 sq smaller and on an extremely small lot (I can almost reach out and touch the houses on either side) are higher by more than $150. per year. Property taxes (I think ya'll call them Excise Tax on vehicles) are almost $100. less per year in Maine than in WV.

Our home in Eastport (Yes, I did say Eastport) sits on three city lots right smack dab in the middle of Eastport and is bigger and has a ton more land than in WV and it's cheaper taxwise.

Guess I'm just tired of people spouting off about Maine taxes being the highest when they really don't have a clue about anywhere else except for perceived graphs put out by various polls or demographic companys that are woefully out of date and inaccurate by the time they are published.

I would be grateful to not be flamed.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I'm going to go through this one more time.

Taxes are a lot higher in WV than in Maine. I can compare each and every tax that I have in Maine and WV and trust me, life in Maine is a lot less expensive.

Case in point: WV sales tax is 6%, Maine is 5% - WV property taxes on this house which is 100 sq smaller and on an extremely small lot (I can almost reach out and touch the houses on either side) are higher by more than $150. per year. Property taxes (I think ya'll call them Excise Tax on vehicles) are almost $100. less per year in Maine than in WV.

Our home in Eastport (Yes, I did say Eastport) sits on three city lots right smack dab in the middle of Eastport and is bigger and has a ton more land than in WV and it's cheaper taxwise.

Guess I'm just tired of people spouting off about Maine taxes being the highest when they really don't have a clue about anywhere else except for perceived graphs put out by various polls or demographic companys that are woefully out of date and inaccurate by the time they are published.

I would be grateful to not be flamed.
By the way corgis we all live here too so we didn't dream it up! I pay $4800 a year on 2.65 acres a house and a barn. That isn't cheap!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:14 AM

2 posts, read 2,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
And how many good paying jobs are there in the booming metropolis of Eastport? The original creator of this thread did mention that she and her family would be looking for good paying jobs. Answer, none.

Eastport, Maine Population and Census Data
Eastport Demographics

Old 12-17-2008, 10:28 AM

Washington County is one of the poorest counties in the United States not just Maine. It has been that way for a long time. Places like Vanceboro have become virtual ghost towns in the last 25 years. Don't tell me I don't know anything about that area as my Mother's whole family was from the Vanceboro area and we visited them several times a year . There is absolutely nothing going on up there. Never has been. Land and homes are cheap for a reason....there's nothing there! Homes on the water may be reasonable in Washington County but again you get what you pay for. A pretty town 3 hours from civilization in a dirt poor county! If you like complete isolation go for it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine