Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 10:29 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,362 times

Advertisements

Sigh! - Never mind, just never mind. I'm leaving quietly.

Old 12-17-2008, 11:09 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
Sigh! - Never mind, just never mind. I'm leaving quietly.
Now don't go away mad....debate is healthy.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:03 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I have been to Argyle I have a friend who owns land near there. The ground is wet there and to say differently is to be dishonest.
Fine then stop trying to be dishonest.

Quote:
... $900 an acre is a good deal though again you get what you pay for. Your mill rate is low because the land is wet and most people will not take a chance building on a 20 year flood plane....your words BTW.
That is dishonest.

The mil rate is not effected by low or high land.

Each county has a mil rate for all UTs.

All UTs in this county [Penobscot] have the same mil rate.

You are so intent to spreading lies, it is amazing.

All UTs in Penobscot county pay 0.00852 mil rate, which is the highest of all Maine counties.

Quote:
... Who was paddling a kayak through the front door of his place last spring?? That would happen to most people once and they would be gone!
Perhaps.

Quote:
... If much of your land is in tree growth you're being dishonest here too as many people would not tie up all of the access and usability of their own land to save tax money. You are posting a lot of misleading FACTS here forest and you know it.
I have admitted and explained many times that my land is in Treegrowth.

What is your problem?

Why must you insist upon trying to make up lies about me?

Quote:
... You do not live in an average area, have an average home, or live an average lifestyle. Your personality on the forum is delightful and you have a lot of friends and admirers . I just think you should be more honest in posting facts by telling people your situation is unique...
Please stop trying to make lies about me.

Please, let us be honest and friendly here.

I do not believe that I have stated any lies.

You have clearly made up lies.

Please stop.

It is unbecoming.

Just enjoy our low taxes, and smile

Quote:
... by design and not to expect good land at $300-$900 an acre and cheap taxes because this is NOT the case in most of Maine! I could put up a tee pee on an acre of land somewhere and pay no taxes at all! Most people don't live like that!
Most of Maine, 52% of Maine is UT, and enjoys low taxes.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:05 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I'm going to go through this one more time.

Taxes are a lot higher in WV than in Maine. I can compare each and every tax that I have in Maine and WV and trust me, life in Maine is a lot less expensive.
Trying to explain colour to a blind person is frustrating isn't it?

Bless you.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:20 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
I don't have a dog in this fight since I don't own property in Maine yet. I just keep a camper there, south of the Volvo line. However, in 25 years of researching towns and properties in Maine, it's pretty clear to me, there is definitely a higher tax burden south of the Volvo line, which makes sense because they actually get services for their taxes paid.

Now some could argue over the value of the services received, but the fact remains, there is a difference in property values, town services, and taxes. It would therefore seem to me, one should inquire of NP's what it is they are seeking in Maine. Relative obscurity in the hinterlands with little by way of a town structure with low taxes, or the opposite. Maybe then, everyone would be considered honest in their replies on this forum?

Old 12-17-2008, 12:21 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,767 times
As a future Mainer, I've been looking into, well, everything. What I've read here, been told by people here who are from Maine, etc., the taxes are a lot easier to live with in Maine than they are here in West Texas. We don't pay state tax, but we do pay more three times as much in taxes on comparable real estate. And the county just hiked it another 18%.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:23 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Fine then stop trying to be dishonest.

That is dishonest.

The mil rate is not effected by low or high land.

Each county has a mil rate for all UTs.

All UTs in this county [Penobscot] have the same mil rate.

You are so intent to spreading lies, it is amazing.

All UTs in Penobscot county pay 0.00852 mil rate, which is the highest of all Maine counties.

Perhaps.

I have admitted and explained many times that my land is in Treegrowth.

What is your problem?

Why must you insist upon trying to make up lies about me?

Please stop trying to make lies about me.

Please, let us be honest and friendly here.

I do not believe that I have stated any lies.

You have clearly made up lies.

Please stop.

It is unbecoming.

Just enjoy our low taxes, and smile

Most of Maine, 52% of Maine is UT, and enjoys low taxes.

I made up no lies. Mill rates are set by the town in most cases assuming one lives in a town to begin with. The milrate is low on undesireable land as there is little sense in taxing the destitute.
You try being honest for a change and stop leading people astray by telling them taxes are low here in Maine and land is cheap. That is total Bravo Sierra.
Is it a lie to say you live in a wet area?, Is it a lie to say you paid far less for your wet land than most conventional comparible acreage size,? Is it a lie to say you live in an Unorganized Township with no public services far from what would be considered a major population center? Is it a lie to say you have had significant trouble raising crops on your wet land? Is it a lie to say you live in an unconventionally constructed house? Is it a lie to say you even heat your home with unconventional fuel?
Is it a lie to state your situation is unique when compared to the lifestyles of the majority of Maine citizens?
Misleading people by omission is as much as lying and there are many of us on this forum, aware of your situation who believe you are not being honest with potential newcomers to this state.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by Maineah; 12-17-2008 at 12:34 PM..

Old 12-17-2008, 01:19 PM

2,725 posts, read 6,424,366 times
I own a few properties in an Unorganized Township and one 28 acre piece in tree growth is $28.00/year. Now that there is a bargain.
Seriously, I hate to see valued members quibble-just thought I'd throw my .02 in.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
That's what I'm saying 7th. If you're in God's country, then your taxes are going to be cheap. If you're in Peyton Place, it's going to cost more. Much more. So, the answer regarding RE taxes depends entirely upon which type of lifestyle you're after.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:38 PM

2,725 posts, read 6,424,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
That's what I'm saying 7th. If you're in God's country, then your taxes are going to be cheap. If you're in Peyton Place, it's going to cost more. Much more. So, the answer regarding RE taxes depends entirely upon which type of lifestyle you're after.
Yeah, give me the mountains and small towns any day.
Now employment is another story!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine