Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:39 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,416,402 times

Advertisements

Oh nice going Forest. Call out the moderator so the thread gets locked!!! WTH?

Old 12-17-2008, 04:47 PM

Since the thread is probably going to get locked anyway, I'm just going to bonk you over the head with the fact that, as nice as almost everyone on here is, the REAL, LIFELONG Mainer's are NOT all that interested in everyone moving up to Maine to 'TRY' their luck at living there!!!!! THAT is some of the reason for the 'pushing back' that you're getting. Take the tinfoil off your head and put on your thinking cap!

If you don't believe me, do a POLL and find out for yourself! Most real estate agents on here might talk up the state a lot because they make part of their income off people who come and buy, so there might be a slight skew to the poll, but not much! Harumph! <----there's one back, just for you!

Old 12-17-2008, 04:49 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
My father-in-law owns 40+ acres in the Cascades in Washington State. When the Microsoft millionaires moved east from Seattle and started new or second families and wanted services, his property taxes increased dramatically.

We found property taxes to be pretty high in Texas, Michigan, Illinois, New Hampshire and New York, too. Is it Connecticut or New Jersey that has the highest in the nation?
I am sure that residents from both Ct and NJ would insist that they pay the highest taxes. Just as Mainers who insist such.

RI has the highest income taxes.

Quote:
... Property taxes are low in Alabama ($125/year for a simple 3 bedroom home), but there's red ants. And it's Alabama.

The taxes on our Maine home east of Monmouth ($2445) are lower than other areas.

We would not move up to Maine if we felt we'd be a burden or a terrible addition to the state. We like and respect you all too much to do that.
You are sweet

Old 12-17-2008, 04:53 PM

467 posts, read 1,119,340 times
If you come to Maine and are still dependent upon employment, you are going to have a very tough row to hoe, especially in the more sparsely populated areas.

I would never advise anyone to come to Maine during their "working years" anymore. I'm sure it can still be done, but it is very risky and chances are the experience here will not be a good one. This is my thinking for the area that I live in. If I lived closer to Portland, my opinion may be different.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Yes Forest, I do have class, thank-you. Issues? Not so much.

These are pics of my home on the Cape. In your area, my taxes would be pretty cheap I imagine. Now, if I built this house on the coast of Maine, then the taxes on it would be about 8-10k, rather than the $2400 I pay now. I am two miles from the beach here, but have ownership of a pond lot with 17 other homeowners and I abut 1,000 acres of woods. Not much by Maine standards, but that's a BIG deal down here on this sandspit.

For my $2400 of taxes, I live within 3 miles of the FD, PD, town library, and 8 restaurants. I am within 2 miles of a package store and mini-market. 5 miles to the grocery store as we are a bedroom community - ergo, NO big stores here.

Now... I bet NORTH of the Volvo line, the taxes on this home would be close to $2400 or higher if it was NEAR the VL, but the further I got from it, the more the taxes would drop.

Capice?
Nice photos!

We are 20 miles from a state university, international airport, shopping mall, car dealerships, box stores, all that junk.

I really had never considered 20 miles to be entirely out in the boondocks before.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:59 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
My father-in-law owns 40+ acres in the Cascades in Washington State. When the Microsoft millionaires moved east from Seattle and started new or second families and wanted services, his property taxes increased dramatically.

We found property taxes to be pretty high in Texas, Michigan, Illinois, New Hampshire and New York, too. Is it Connecticut or New Jersey that has the highest in the nation?

Property taxes are low in Alabama ($125/year for a simple 3 bedroom home), but there's red ants. And it's Alabama.

The taxes on our Maine home east of Monmouth ($2445) are lower than other areas.

We would not move up to Maine if we felt we'd be a burden or a terrible addition to the state. We like and respect you all too much to do that.
Just an FYI for all of you Eastport lovers. Eastport has a very large population of European fire ants, The largest infestation in Maine by the way ....just so you know!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Nice photos!

We are 20 miles from a state university, international airport, shopping mall, car dealerships, box stores, all that junk.

I really had never considered 20 miles to be entirely out in the boondocks before.

Forest, you can't see the trees.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
You just made my point for me. Different areas charge different mil rates for the type of property they have in their respective towns...
How long are you going to sling bulls**t and call it candy?
sigh.

One location within a town in Maine will NOT have a different mil rate, from any other location within that town.

I have no idea how many times this must be said.

Mil rate does not change according to your soil type, or location.

If your in an organized town, then that town sets the mil rate. One mil rate for that entire town.

If you in a UT, then the county has one common mil rate.

Land could be ocean frontage, or hills, or forest, or potato fields; it will all have the same mil rate.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:02 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,011,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
That's what I'm saying 7th. If you're in God's country, then your taxes are going to be cheap. If you're in Peyton Place, it's going to cost more. Much more. So, the answer regarding RE taxes depends entirely upon which type of lifestyle you're after.
coastal, i have a house ten miles south of augusta (capitol)
it's worth around 200k i can throw a rock off my deck and hit waterfront,,,,my taxes are less than 900 a yr.

if i were in the next town over,,,my taxes would be much more..

ALL depends what town you are in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-17-2008, 05:04 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,568,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Nice photos!

It depends on how one live I guess!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine