Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 01:56 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,972,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
When you make what you give, it's hard to round it out in dollars and cents. My usual gifts to friends are candies or confections I cooked up in the kitchen or hand made soaps or birdhouses I create from gourds I grow in the garden. Depending on when I pick them, they are usually dry enough to paint and make ready for gift giving by Christmas.

The porch steps are a great place to let the dry out:

I've seen painted gourds at the Farmer's Market but I've never actually had one myself. I might like to try my hand at growing, drying and painting some gourds. Sounds like great fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2008, 08:18 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,608,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I might like to try my hand at growing, drying and painting some gourds. Sounds like great fun.
Shoot me a DM and I'll get some seeds in the mail to ya. Nuthin is easier to grow even if you've never had a green thumb a single second in your life.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:31 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,654,554 times
Quote:
When you make what you give, it's hard to round it out in dollars and cents.
That was our way when the kids were little at home. Now that I have 10 grandkids and their parents (5 families) I keep them in mind through the year when I find something. Each adult kid is getting a neat china sculpture of a mom, dad and a couple of kids that I found 5 of on sale after the holidays last year. Yep, we moved 'em to Maine!

the kids are each getting a stuffed moose (about $8) bought at Bobs in D-F last spring and a copy of the story book I am writing about the little moose's adventures.

That is about average for us, spread out over the year. If I don't have what buying I do DONE before thanksgiving, it doesn't happen.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:34 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs1885 View Post
We're spending more. I refuse to participate in the 'recession'. Best way to get out of it is to spend it if you've got it. We don't have a heck of a lot, but it's more than we've had in previous years, so we'll spend more. Besides, what woman doesn't want an excuse (helping the economy) for shopping??

LOL! You go Mrs!!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 09:00 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,753,404 times
Quote:
birdhouses I create from gourds I grow in the garden. Depending on when I pick them, they are usually dry enough to paint and make ready for gift giving by Christmas.
Beautiful AliceT!
I have seen similar here in AZ at the Botanical Gardens!
Great idea and the birds love them

Old 12-06-2008, 02:03 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
i'm cutting back this year, not because of the recession, but more importantly, its because its the right thing to do,,,,,im trying to be more politically correct, so ,,out goes the tree,,all the millions of trees cut,,(decimated),has to contribute to global warming,,
all the presents/gifts,,,, it aint right, if i give a gift to one person,,,yet cant give to all,,or worse yet , i give a gift to a person that surely doesnt need it....will that help feed one starving child??

forgive me for sounding cynical, im just bracing myself ...for whats to come..

Old 12-06-2008, 06:43 AM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
I certainly won't be spending much this year, just haven't got any extra. I spent about $50 (that I shouldn't have) back in Aug for something I saw that the other half will like, won't be much more than that. I'm expecting to get laid-off after Xmas, so I can't afford to throw cash around.

Old 12-06-2008, 07:35 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Holy crap! I'm coming to YOUR house to eat!!
Ditto'

I never went all out for xmas anyways... so it won't be to bad for me. I always worry thou about emergency. With the slow downs... we feel it here at work. I hope something great happens soon!!

Old 12-06-2008, 08:48 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i'm cutting back this year, not because of the recession, but more importantly, its because its the right thing to do,,,,,im trying to be more politically correct, so ,,out goes the tree,,all the millions of trees cut,,(decimated),has to contribute to global warming,,
all the presents/gifts,,,, it aint right, if i give a gift to one person,,,yet cant give to all,,or worse yet , i give a gift to a person that surely doesnt need it....will that help feed one starving child??

You'll be happy to know global warming is BS...Now you can celebrate with a tree.

Old 12-06-2008, 05:46 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,101,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

let me get my boots on....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine