Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 08:38 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,422,284 times

Advertisements

This is a destination for retirees and vacationers alike. We pride ourselves on welcoming ALL. Yesterday I journeyed out and snowshoed through the valleys of Milton Plantation. Not a sound was heard(except my panting as I climbed higher and higher). The sights were out of this world and the peace and serenity of the late winter vistas thrilled the soul! Any move to this state is a good one. You should check all necessary services that pertain to your particular situation,but remember that we have it here as other places. Hey Beekeeper ,I do believe you will find that the gangmember you spoke of was arrested last week, so we are good untill 2050,lol . Take care all and God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2007, 10:41 AM

37,441 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Vermont's highest income tax bracket is 9.5%
California's is 9.3%
Oregon's is 9.0%
DC's is 9.0%
Iowa's is 8.98%
NJ's is 8.97%

Old 03-01-2007, 06:32 PM

36 posts, read 174,870 times
Again, I want to thank you all for the replies, it means a lot to us to hear these things from the people that know. As I stated before, my wife and I are very simple people, low maintenance, and very easy to get along with. We too dislike the overbearing, pushy types, and its for that reason we want to locate in Maine. We like to garden, sightsee, and just spend time with friendly people. I love the ocean. I could spend the entire day just watching the waves roll in. Night life to us is something cooking on the grill, and a good bottle of wine. We have lived in a small town for so long, that a big city just gives us the jitters. When we go for a ride, I like to drive slow so you can see things without the blur. As far as sports goes, I love the Patriots. Sorry, but I'll always be a Wings fan . Please don't hold that against me ok. I'm into sea kayaking, and you just won't find better places to go than in Maine.IMHO Only thing even close would be way up in Lake Surerior, and I have done this too. Like most Mainers, I love helping others, and would give the shirt off my back as well. But they better like plaid flannel. I hope these few things I have told you discribes the type of people we are, and why we so dearly want to become part of Maine.
We really hope this comes to pass for us. I look so forward to become part of your wonderful state.

Old 03-13-2007, 06:48 PM

26 posts, read 113,125 times
Default That is definitely the right attitude

tym2retyr, you will be very happy in Maine. Everything you've said sounds like you will fit right in like one of us "natives".

Old 06-13-2007, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,571 times
Question Maine is a nice place to live

Once you get past some of the people referring to others from other states as "flatlanders" and those who yell out "all flatlanders should go back to where they came from", it's not so bad. This isn't as much of a problem in the cities as it is in the backwoods. Maine does have a lot to offer colorful Autumn days, ocean views, quiet forests, etc, and yes a growing crime rate, much of the crime most folks don't even know about (which may be a good thing or a bad thing). Maine has one of the highest number of heroin/narcotic addiction, with the addiction comes crime (they have to support their addictions some how). As far as gangs, or gang mentality, recently there was an apartment that was rushed by 20 - 30 people to attack 4 guys while they were sleeping. This occured in Bangor, Maine.
I guess you will have to make your own decision, but do the research first (there is no where in America that is truly safe as we all know).

Old 06-13-2007, 12:04 PM

LOL

As yet I have not seen anyone trying to use any 'flatland' terms with me.

I grew up on the foothills of Mount Whitney, just outside of Yosemite. Is it really honest to call anything on the Eastcoast 'mountains'? LOL

Anytime you go camping much above 12,000 feet most folks bring oxygen bottles. When you see someone who carries a O2 bottle so due to their attitude, then okay fine they live on a mountain.

Where I live now, it is fairly flat. I have been up at treetop level here and I do not recall even seeing any snow-capped peaks within eye-sight. So I would have to consider this area a flat land.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:52 PM

375 posts, read 608,949 times
Default What's With Bangor?

"recently there was an apartment that was rushed by 20 - 30 people to attack 4 guys while they were sleeping. This occured in Bangor, Maine."

Well, now I've crossed Bangor off my list.

Interested to know where you found the data that Maine's got one of the highest heroin/narcotics addiction rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandersinmaine View Post
Once you get past some of the people referring to others from other states as "flatlanders" and those who yell out "all flatlanders should go back to where they came from", it's not so bad. This isn't as much of a problem in the cities as it is in the backwoods. Maine does have a lot to offer colorful Autumn days, ocean views, quiet forests, etc, and yes a growing crime rate, much of the crime most folks don't even know about (which may be a good thing or a bad thing). Maine has one of the highest number of heroin/narcotic addiction, with the addiction comes crime (they have to support their addictions some how). As far as gangs, or gang mentality, recently there was an apartment that was rushed by 20 - 30 people to attack 4 guys while they were sleeping. This occured in Bangor, Maine.
I guess you will have to make your own decision, but do the research first (there is no where in America that is truly safe as we all know).

Old 06-19-2007, 06:35 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,517,647 times
Wait did someone mention Nascar...I was soooo hoping when we got to Maine that we could leave the redneck "sport" behind. Give me hockey anyday.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:26 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post
Wait did someone mention Nascar...I was soooo hoping when we got to Maine that we could leave the redneck "sport" behind. Give me hockey anyday.
exactly! I don't get that "sport" thing either....but, I also have a problem with the warm weather states toting home the Stanley Cup....it just seems so.....wrong.

Old 06-20-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramamama6685 View Post

Many of the folks that I have met seem to follow nascar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine