Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:49 AM

2,724 posts, read 6,424,940 times

Advertisements

With the shutdown of #15 machine in Rumford, Western Maine's paper industry is in trouble.
Log driving in Maine:

YouTube - Logging in Maine

YouTube - Loggers 1906

YouTube - Logging: A Concise History

YouTube - Woodsmen and River Drivers

YouTube - Kennebec Log drive

YouTube - Log Drive Miramichi 1930

YouTube - old logging film
Mechanized:

YouTube - Timberpro TB630 with Log Max 7000

YouTube - Offroad logging

YouTube - Timberjack Walking Machine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 05:40 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,013,886 times
Reminds me of "From Stump to Ship", the documentary about Downeast loggers. I think some of DH relatives are in that one. Times are a changin'.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:20 PM

740 posts, read 1,882,136 times
We used to have several family members in the logging industry and are down to one. I can't believe all of the mills that have closed within the last 10 to 20 years.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:48 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,541,520 times
Remember all the talk of a paperless society 20 years ago? It's finally getting here.

Mills are closing and cutting back in large part to credit problems. With the economy in its current state, customers are losing their letters of credit. If they can't buy mills can't produce.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:11 AM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
Hardly real logging... but I fixed up my woods road and was able to cut about 1/2 cord of wood this morning.

It's amazing how much damage a skidder can do to the ground. It made it almost impassable for my small farm tractor. Corduroy roads are some nice.

Old 12-07-2008, 01:41 PM

1,297 posts, read 3,518,072 times
When I worked for the railroad 3 years ago a Rumford Papermill Employee pretty near thumped me, started yelling and calling me names. You see part of the problem is not production or sales but actually shipping the finished paper out. He said the railroad was supposed to provide 21 empty box cars a day for them to fill, at that time they were getting 3. They tried to haul by truck instead of trains, but there is just no way. Too far and too expensive when it takes 5 trucks for one train car.

The papermill in Old Town was the same way. I am not saying the railroads are to blame, but it is one part of the equasion. When I was there it would often take 10-12 hours to get a train from Portland to Waterville. Now come on, that should take 5 hours tops (with a train). There is no reason it should take that long. But the owner is just waiting for the Government to hand him a check to fix up the tracks because he's not going to pay for it.

Its a scam really. We need a better railroad system to get out what little we do mine, log and manufacture, but as long as that owner is in charge of the railroad here, it will never happen.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:04 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,667,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenTap View Post
When I worked for the railroad 3 years ago a Rumford Papermill Employee pretty near thumped me, started yelling and calling me names. You see part of the problem is not production or sales but actually shipping the finished paper out. He said the railroad was supposed to provide 21 empty box cars a day for them to fill, at that time they were getting 3. They tried to haul by truck instead of trains, but there is just no way. Too far and too expensive when it takes 5 trucks for one train car.

The papermill in Old Town was the same way. I am not saying the railroads are to blame, but it is one part of the equasion. When I was there it would often take 10-12 hours to get a train from Portland to Waterville. Now come on, that should take 5 hours tops (with a train). There is no reason it should take that long. But the owner is just waiting for the Government to hand him a check to fix up the tracks because he's not going to pay for it.

Its a scam really. We need a better railroad system to get out what little we do mine, log and manufacture, but as long as that owner is in charge of the railroad here, it will never happen.
Good post Brokentap. People do not realize just how bad the tracks are in Maine. I know of a place in North Yarmouth where the rail bed has been undermined to within a few feet of the tracks. The train has to pass by at less then 5 mph through that area. You don't get far at 5 mph! The railroads KNOW they can't handle 22 cars a day from one mill. They need to keep the trains short enough to pass these bad areas in a reasonable length of time without holding up traffic at the crossings too long.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:56 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,114 times
I have one brother still working the woods. Gets up 1am every day for a 2 hour drive. Long haul considering he lives up near Mooshead

Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,100,311 times
TRACKS??? YOU guys HAVE TRACKS??

Must be nice... something cool like that could make a h*ll of a difference in shipping for Eastport. What does a community have to do to get them fancy tracks? Right now the trucks bring the product into Eastport from the mill in Woodland and it's shipped out. Can you guess how many truckloads it takes to fill the hold of a ship?

Oh, wait, our tracks were pulled up years ago... now I remember... oh, and there's going to be some fancy biking/hiking path from Machias to Calais on the railbed--after the ties are all removed of course. I'm so grateful--that path is sure gonna be a big boost to Washington County's economic development. H*ll, we might even get a few more people in the hotels and B&Bs. I'm really *not* as bitter as all that sounds, but I have to say that foresight would be great thing to have, rather than hindsight.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:40 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,241,235 times
The ripping up of the RR tracks is a very short sighted thing to do. There won't be very many eco tourists hiking,riding along and through the swamps that lead to Machais.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine