Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:57 AM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiisai View Post
I forgot to add; We are not immediately concerned about electric. We have inverters to charge most of our lights during the day, and we even have a small solar panel that will charge a few small things.

We plan on getting a generator for construction, or borrowing my dad's.

We are tossing the idea of a composting toilet around. I WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM ANYONE WHO HAS PERSONAL KNOWLEDGE OF THESE!

One of my concerns is if the land is too wet, we may not be able to 4-wheel in, thus making it necessary for a driveway off of a R.O.w. or a gravel roadway.

We were hoping to do a driveway later, to cut costs. That way we could build and enjoy, then make improvements.

I have been working on floor plans (hobby of mine, I just like to draw them up). So far we are thinking 24 X 24 or 30 X 30.

Mostly we are interested in having the land to garden, raise our 2 kids, & 3 hens, practice our archery, let our Lab run about without getting hit by a car, practice .22 rifle and handgun firing, maybe even hunt. Mostly for use during the summers, and fall.

Eventually we would like to make it a retirement place, and family getaway.

I asked for a small wood stove on Freecycle, and got one, YES for FREE. Mostly just to keep the chill off, we have other ideas for heating during the winter.

We would like to be as self-sufficient as possible.

Again, would love to hear your views and advice.
Don't know about advice, but you sound like my sister. She and her husband retired, bought land in the middle of somewhere, built their own cabin that you can only access with a 4x4, and stay there more than they do at home. They don't have cell service up there and I had to wait a week for her to answer my last voice mail. But she's happy, so who cares? And she's excited that we're moving to Maine--she's already planning to visit. And, PS, she was Tri State Women's Archery champ back in 1986, I think was the year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:04 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
chi,,, recently,i drove thru athens and harmony (rte 150 north of skowhegan recently, nice area)
be sure to check out st albans, nice little town, with a pretty lake (indian lake)

if you see a town you like, be sure to stop at the town office, they can answer most of your questions (local codes and ordinances)

Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 AM

7,058 posts, read 9,078,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
Perhaps you have been into the Allen's lately?

...But it is the SELLER who actually pays the commission.
True enough...as far as it goes. The seller pays the same commission whether a buyer's broker is involved in the transaction or not. The buyer's broker [generally] gets a cut of the selling broker's commission.

The buyer's broker does not care *what* property you buy, while the seller's broker wants you to buy *his/her* property. The buyer's broker has the motivation to find the property that most closely fits the buyer's needs/wants in order to increase the buyer's chances of completing the transaction, the [unscrupulous] seller's broker might do a full make-up job on a pig if he thinks that might get you to buy it.

The same commission is paid either way, no matter how small the buyer agent's contribution might be, it is better to have someone in your corner who has at least some concern for your satisfaction. The seller's agent's interest lies first and foremost to the seller.

Frankly, I'm rather surprised at you AL, that was rather impolite, to say the least.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:08 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
It sounds to me like you are not committed to the Athens/Farmington area.

There are great bed and breakfasts in Maine and by the time you pay for lodging in a motel and breakfast for the whole crew you are usually better off at a B&B. You can learn more there too. Some are dog friendly. Be sure to ask.

Newcomers should be aware that the deer will eat your garden even if it is in 5 gallon buckets on your porch! Your best bet for a garden is to plant a few potatoes and onions. No wild animal will eat a potato plant and most don't like onions. The deer and snowshoe hare will eat the entire crop of carrots, beets, peas, green beans, radishes and raspberries. Nothing eats corn until it's nearly ripe. Then a family of raccoons will break down and eat an entire small garden of corn in one night. If you want a regular garden at your camp you'll need to fence it in with a high fence.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:28 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,933,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Frankly, I'm rather surprised at you AL, that was rather impolite, to say the least.

Aw c'mon: if you can't take a joke you shouldn't volunteer. (old service expression!)

Old 12-07-2008, 10:38 AM

95 posts, read 336,343 times
O.K. about the garden thing.

If I used a solar powered electric fence would that work, to keep out the critters?

Are they allowed?

We can use them down here, but I don't know the laws up there.

Solar livestock fence chargers

Old 12-07-2008, 10:51 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,449,610 times
Chi, where in Ma are you?

Old 12-07-2008, 11:00 AM

95 posts, read 336,343 times
Near the RI border.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:05 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,886,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
As to assessors; It is in a town's interest to keep property values as low as possible. That way the town pays less county tax to the county. Eventually the county will appeal to the state and the state will force a town to revaluate.

No, sorry. Every year the state does a sales ratio analysis on "arms length' transactions for each town and UT. This is what the county taxes are based on. It doesn't behoove the town to keep a lower valuation because that is what the state reimbursements (ie. homestead, tree growth, etc) and state aid for schools are based on. If the town is certified at 75% the the state will reimburse 75% only; 100% gets you all the entitlement. Sort of like holding back the kids allowance until he does what you want him to.

The sales ratio is what the assessor says is the right general area that these properties sold for. Not the overinflated prices real estate boon shows. Land values are based on sale values and building values are based on cost to reconstruct new, less depreciation.

Old 12-07-2008, 11:35 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,679,925 times
Electric fences can be used. When you first put them up they are fun to watch, especially on a damp day. The animals quickly learn to jump over them. Your Lab will figure it out pretty quickly too. ;-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine