Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2008, 12:27 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
My girls said, "He looks like plastic! Something must be wrong with their camera!"

Wonder how long we'll be able to keep the magic alive for them?
whatdo ya mean??? magic.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:33 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Elcarim - "egg nog, Kahlua, Captain Morgan, Peppermint Schnapps, Grenadine, Triple Sec, Wine"I have mixed a lot of things in my life.Those are not ingredients that I would wish to see mixed, ever.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:36 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
That's funny! My six-year old still believes, but I think the eight-year old has heard rumors at school. He's been good about not telling his brother, bless his heart!
Well, when my 7 y.o. saw the picture of Santa flying, she burst out, "You mean Rudolph is REAL???"

I just looked at her kinda dumbfounded! I wasn't sure how to answer that. I never knew Rudolph was in question. My 8 y.o. hasn't made any indication that she's starting to question. I think deep down, they really WANT to believe. And in my house, the magic will continue regardless of how old my kids get or how crazy they think I am! If they're here on Christmas morning, Santa will have left them a gift.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:37 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,655,274 times
Quote:
My girls said, "He looks like plastic! Something must be wrong with their camera!"

Wonder how long we'll be able to keep the magic alive for them?
It IS plastic... or a sort of it... the thick protective covering they have to put over the lens when they are shooting pictures that high up in the atmosphere, to keep the lens free of ice and keep it from cracking in the cold! You can tell them your friend who studied astronomy at the university said this (as I did...)

(very observant youngsters you have!)

Old 12-24-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Well, when my 7 y.o. saw the picture of Santa flying, she burst out, "You mean Rudolph is REAL???"

I just looked at her kinda dumbfounded! I wasn't sure how to answer that. I never knew Rudolph was in question. My 8 y.o. hasn't made any indication that she's starting to question. I think deep down, they really WANT to believe. And in my house, the magic will continue regardless of how old my kids get or how crazy they think I am! If they're here on Christmas morning, Santa will have left them a gift.
OK im lost WHAT MAGIC?????

Old 12-24-2008, 01:23 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
You're never too old! Santa leaves a gift card for each of my girls rather than stocking stuffers.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:24 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
OK im lost WHAT MAGIC?????
The reindeer. Only the magic ones can fly.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:27 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,424,082 times
Oh, my grown girls still asks......"Where's my stocking from Santa, Mom?" She knows that Santa knows where to find her!

Old 12-24-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom View Post
That's funny! My six-year old still believes, but I think the eight-year old has heard rumors at school. He's been good about not telling his brother, bless his heart!
believes in what?? i went back to where the magic talk began and i still dont get it .

Old 12-24-2008, 02:23 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
Ranger some people, kids and adults alike, don't believe that Santa is real.... and for them, the holiday just isn't the same--the "magic" is gone. For some people the magic goes because their friends tell them there is no Santa, and for some the magic goes because they don't get exactly what they want at Christmas, so they stop believing.

Here's something we read at our house every year:

Dear Editor!

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.

Papa says, "If you see it in The Sun it's so." Please tell me the truth: Is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O'Hanlon
115 West Ninety-Fifth Street
New York, New York

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men's or children's, are little. In this great universe of ours man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect, as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! How dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus. It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias.

There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal life with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies! You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas Eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if they did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that's no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You may tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, fancy, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernatural beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God he lives, and he lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

Last edited by mollysmiles; 12-24-2008 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: if you have to edit due to copyright, I understand, but I couldn't find a copyright on this :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine