Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper1212 View Post
Should I lay in a good supply of Masa Harina to bring with me? I can box it up and make the movers take it up with them.
As for making your own corn tortilla chips, we buy fresh corn tortillas in Mexico for that. Flour tortillas, too. I was just thinking this morning that I'll miss flour tortillas with eggs and potatoes and cheese inside with some good salsa. And I guess I'll have to get used to eating breakfast without any refried beans.
I mentioned beans here and it seems that many folks do not like beans.

It was a few days later that I noticed they were talking mostly about baked beans. I asked my Dw and she said that being raised in NE, she had only been exposed to baked beans before she moved away. So it would appear that while beans grow in NE, the exclusive method of serving beans is baked.

Now we eat a lot of beans, but it has been years since I have eaten baked beans. In fact I do not remember the last time that I ate baked beans.

Refried, or in chili, or in a salad, or ground into flour and put into bread works just fine.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:14 AM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
Peachie I saw your note in the other thread about the Christmas lights being up and wanted to reply. I was typing along then realized I better reply over here!!

I can't bear to take them down! I did take the candy canes down... they were lining the little space from the driveway to the porch. We'd gotten some very windy days, and they looked awful! I have the Christmas stuff packed away inside, but the "winter" things are still up! Someone had given us some of the snowflake lights that line the walkway, but the ground was frozen and there was no way I could get the stakes in..... but I really wanted to use them. There is a window over the kitchen sink, and I took the curtains down and wrapped the snowflake lights around the rod. It's a set of 4, and I staggered the length.... I LOVE it! It's so nice at night to have the lights off and just those on. I don't think they'll ever go outside now.
Well last night was a sad night..Steve went to the loft and brought down the containers and box for the tree. The tree is gone but I have some small things here on the inside I still have to tend too.

I enjoy the lights on the inside. They are so great compared to modern lighting.

When I drove by, Sarah says, that's "Molly's" house.. I said I know " like I was bragging I knew you
(super star)... and said, I haven't been inside thou, but I stood on her drive way. lol

The snow flake lights sound dreamy.

I think I'm going to work one set of these white lights into my "daily life someeee how. You know me... I just gotta be different.
Then.......... I'll take a picture and show you. But I gotta think about what I'm going to do with it.

"Anyone have an Off topic white light use that works???
So... Friday we all meet!
Hows Gussie? Haven't seen anything.... Did I get her a cake decorating job and now she's to busy for us??
shame on me.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:22 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Since I can be off topic, I just wanted to share that I lost a friend yesterday. We weren't close, but did a show together last mrach. He was onl;y in his 20's. There was some sort of fall involved. It took the EMTs 25 minutes to revive him, but there was too much brain damage and he died yesterday morning.

A little aside, cd is loading really slow(about 2 minutes a page) and right now it won't even let me pull up my DM from reindeer lady(I tried 3x, but internet explorer cannot display page..grr).

Catch you tomorrow!

Old 01-13-2009, 04:43 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,544,749 times
I'm sorry drama. That's sad.

Old 01-13-2009, 07:15 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
oh drama, I'm sorry. It's hard to lose someone you know. I lost a friend recently too--someone I'd known my whole life growing up--and then had as a class advisor and yearbook advisor in high school, and then saw off and on since graduation. He even came to our 10 year class reunion--reminiscent of his crash of our senior skip day at the lake! purposely so!-- I think even when you aren't "close" to people, you still feel a loss.

Peachie, that is strange that you haven't made it past the driveway!! lol... we were in such a hurry to get to Corgis in Eastport that day we never made it inside! Amy has Christmas lights in her room year round... when I had kitchen cabinets that had a foot of space between the top of the cabinet and the ceiling I had white lights up there year round--they were intertwined with fake balsam pine, and then I changed little accents to match the seasons so it wouldn't look Christmassy all the time. I loved it at night! Wish I had that space again instead of the soffits I have now (and I think I spelled that right even though CD says I didn't!).....

Old 01-13-2009, 10:18 AM

16 posts, read 28,032 times
I ran into the same thing when I moved to NE. I have yet to find a good place that serves decent well-fried beans. So, I always make my own.

My frijoles negros refritos have won many converts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I mentioned beans here and it seems that many folks do not like beans.

It was a few days later that I noticed they were talking mostly about baked beans. I asked my Dw and she said that being raised in NE, she had only been exposed to baked beans before she moved away. So it would appear that while beans grow in NE, the exclusive method of serving beans is baked.

Now we eat a lot of beans, but it has been years since I have eaten baked beans. In fact I do not remember the last time that I ate baked beans.

Refried, or in chili, or in a salad, or ground into flour and put into bread works just fine.

Old 01-13-2009, 11:19 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,219 times
I'm not a very good cook, passable maybe but I know when I am in Eastport I can always get wonderful food at Maine Stargazer's place. Great pizza and wonderful Mexican food. Just the smell coming out from the screen door in the summer is enough to make me pull in and stop for a slice or so.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:27 PM
RHB

1,098 posts, read 2,151,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I have to disagree with you and B here... As I understand corn tortillas as they are made south of the border, they are made with Masa Harina (which can be found here, in the stores and which is technically hominy flour, hominy being corn that has been processed with lye water to remove the husks, which I believe is then dried and ground to make the masa.)

At least this is how I make corn tortillas, and have served them to folks who are familiar with the real thing (having served in the peace corps in South America) who said I had it right... except that I cannot pat them out by hand but do have to roll and then cut them round with a large pan lid as a cookie cutter.
lye???? my corn flour is processed with LIME
It must be a different product, because mine also doesn't say anything about hominy...maybe if I could read the spanish on the bag it might say something other than what was translated into english.
Anyway, we used it, with the english directions on the bag, and it works wonderfully.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:43 PM

444 posts, read 928,890 times
Default Webkinz do not die!

I am so relieved. Right before we moved back to Maine, my kids told me that their Webkinz (plush animals that have virtual identities online) had died because they weren't fed on time. I was thinking this was pretty harsh of the people at Webkinz.

Well, I was going through some papers I had stuck in a file during our move, and I found the Webkinz log-in information. I am happy to report that Puggy and Bowwow are alive and well in Webkinz land!!! The boys will be so happy when they find out.

Old 01-13-2009, 12:45 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,102,570 times
lol! aren't virtual pets a hoot?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine