Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 08:36 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,664,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
The People's Republic of Vermont should separate from NE and become it's own landlocked continent! lol TOTALLY FREAKING WHACKED up there!

RI.... there's a lot of simple folk down there... I don't mind them so much... CT is just an extension of NY with bad roads. lol
My daughter lives in VT. When I go to visit she cringes. She always thinks I'll shout out at some passing weirdo! It's a strange place that's for sure! I could not live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:57 PM

467 posts, read 1,124,851 times
The first time I ever heard about the "volvo line" was on this forum. But I had heard the distinction between the two Maine's being described as Northern being the "real" Maine" vs. Southern which is really just an extension of Mass. This is probably an even more hurtful way to describe the division. I once used this analogy with a relative when he visited Ogunquit and didn't have time to get all the way up to Acadia. Even though I had said it jokingly, as I reflect back on it, I feel ashamed for having actually fallen into the pitfall of trying to divide up this Great State by making that remark. I truly love ALL of Maine. If I have to make even a short trip out of Maine I still get all teary eyed just crossing that bridge and the return trip across the bridge always makes me feel like I'm home again right where I belong. The end of Oct. DH and I made a trip to White Mtns in NH and I realized how homesick I was for Maine and we had only stayed ONE night! So for all you folks in Southern Maine, I need my fix there every few months or so. Same as up in Moosehead, and Baxter area too. We're all the LUCKIEST people in the world to be here in Maine. And I'll sign off for the evening with one of my favorite lines from the movie Cidar House Rules. "Goodnight you Princes of Maine, you Kings of New England"!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:18 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
the notion of two different Maines doesn't bother me as much as the way people act about it. Yes, there are vast differences between the two areas of Maine (North and South); but that isn't limited to Maine. Every state has extreme differences between different sections (many times, it's more extreme than the differences in Maine).

The disagreements on this forum and in the real world tend to go far beyond the realistic differences between the two areas and end up bringing out the ugliness and ignorance in people. I love Maine, both parts of it, but both sides need to get over their differences. It's ONE state and it always will be.

Having lived in other parts of the country, I can't get over how petty some of the disagreements over Northern and Southern Maine are. The people in Northern Maine who argue about this tend to think Southern Maine is wealthier, snootier, more urban and crazier than it really is; while the people in Southern Maine who argue this tend to think Northern Maine is more conservative, rural, and crazy than it really is. There are some differences-- N. Maine is a bit more agricultural, rural and conservative (and slightly lower income) than S. Maine is but Southern Maine is hardly an ultra-liberal, uber-rich megalopolis either.

There are some differences between the areas... every state deals with them, and most embrace the differences. Maine is geographically diverse; embrace it! it's part of what makes Maine so interesting. Get over the freaking "Volvo-Line" it's going to continue to exist here just like it exists in some form everywhere else.
True though how often do we read in this forum those from Southern Maine whining about their high taxes?

Insisting that all of Maine has high taxes.

Clearly denying reality.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:26 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,721 times
Taxes in southern Maine compared to the rest of the state are high, but they weren't 10 years ago. Augusta got a brilliant idea to follow Mass. and other coastal states and value their waterfront properties higher. But I'll take the highter the taxes with a waterfront view over canoeing through my livingroom. TYVM But if it works for you, that's great. That's what makes the world go 'round.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
FOREST,

READ MY LIPS! I'm not denying the vast differences between northern and southern Maine or the people that live in either area. What bothers me is that all of your references toward the southern part of the state are so negative.
It was not my intent to say that Southern Maine is bad in any manner.

Quote:
... None of us from the southern part of the state have ever made any negative posts regarding northern Maine.
I disagree.

I could easily point out the instances of this in most threads on this forum.

And I jump in constantly to point it out.

"Well Maine is so expensive, ... " And what do I post? The truth. that Maine is cheaper than anywhere else that I have lived stateside.

"Well Maine has such high taxes, ..." And I jump in to stop the lies and point out the reality, that most of Maine enjoys fairly low taxes.

Now if you happen to live in one corner of Maine that does have high taxes; I am sorry.

I am sorry, that you decided to live there.

I do apologize for you decision to live there.

But every time that you insist on throwing mud onto Northern Maine doesn't someone need to stand up and correct the situation?

Someone starts a thread asking about moving to Maine; how many posts happen before the dis-information starts?

And it is all about Northern / Southern Maine.

I apologize that these two parts of Maine are so different from each other.

I am sorry.

What less can I apologize for?

Quote:
... I guess I just don't understand why it's so damn important for you to have to define it all the time.
Because folks keep slandering Maine.

Quote:
... IMO, it's misleading to others looking to come to Maine to live
Yes it is,

Please stop doing it.

Quote:
... Why is it so important, tell me so I can stop wondering what your agenda is and why.

BTW- stop dreaming, the state will never split into two. Get over it.
I do not think that I have ever preached that Maine should split. I have discussed when elected Maine politicians have urged it.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:39 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,202,228 times
Quote:
Taxes in southern Maine compared to the rest of the state are high, but they weren't 10 years ago. Augusta got a brilliant idea to follow Mass. and other coastal states and value their waterfront properties higher. But I'll take the highter the taxes with a waterfront view over canoeing through my livingroom. TYVM But if it works for you, that's great. That's what makes the world go 'round.
ya but forest has a great story to tell his grand kids.i would choose the canoe over higher taxes any day.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 PM

387 posts, read 607,679 times
WOAH WOAH WOOOOOOOAH! I didn't know my wondering something/the original post would end up being an argument, so I'm calling for everyone to settle down. I didn't mean anything by it. I love the state as a whole, and I was just sayin'. I love it all, from my town (Fort Kent) to Portland, because the other states I've been to (Texas, New York, New Jersey, Mass. N.H., Vermont, Penn), they don't have the same "FEELING" you do up here. Maybe it's because I don't live in those places, but they didn't feel like "home" to me.

Just forget about the Volvo line and bask in the beauty of our great state! I'll probably spend my whole life here.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:40 PM

Quote:
LOL

Yes well it was my mistake.

I should have bought land up higher, maybe on the side of a slope.

I did make an offer to buy one sloping property in Liberty Maine. But it failed a perc test. 20 acres and all of it had ledge.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
ya but forest has a great story to tell his grand kids.i would choose the canoe over higher taxes any day.
LOL

And photos too!

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconiator View Post
WOAH WOAH WOOOOOOOAH! I didn't know my wondering something/the original post would end up being an argument, so I'm calling for everyone to settle down. I didn't mean anything by it. I love the state as a whole, and I was just sayin'. I love it all, from my town (Fort Kent) to Portland, because the other states I've been to (Texas, New York, New Jersey, Mass. N.H., Vermont, Penn), they don't have the same "FEELING" you do up here. Maybe it's because I don't live in those places, but they didn't feel like "home" to me.

Just forget about the Volvo line and bask in the beauty of our great state! I'll probably spend my whole life here.
We aren't fighting! We're just razzin' each other. It's close to a full moon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine