U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:19 AM

117 posts, read 407,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
i always wanted a windmill in my yard, and if anyone ever had thier own private windmill, you can charge bangor hydro/cmp/ for excess power going into the grid. id set the invoice up like a phone bill, 300 taxes on it,,,,not knowing why??

...first of all these are not "private windmills" these are six-story, eye sores which hover over my property, make noise, and strobe. Other people in the area have the same experience and it's not only 3 or 4 people.

Last edited by rabbitlover; 03-18-2007 at 06:58 AM..
Rate this post positively

Old 03-18-2007, 07:38 AM

19,276 posts, read 25,723,388 times
rabbit, i've seen those windmills at a distance, and perhaps, thats where im ignorant, of how they sound, or impact on the immediate residents. we've heard of alternative energy, for years and years, and we all get frustrated, with the cost of oil/gas, so to see an effort of alternative energy, seems like a welcoming sight,(at a distance)
as far as thier cost/benefit, im not sure how the results are, so, i'll listen to anyone that lives close to them, or has facts about them. and yes, i'd probly feel differently if i lived very close to them,

Old 03-18-2007, 07:53 AM

71 posts, read 236,072 times
Default Winds of Fortune

Quote:
rabbit, i've seen those windmills at a distance, and perhaps, thats where im ignorant, of how they sound, or impact on the immediate residents. we've heard of alternative energy, for years and years, and we all get frustrated, with the cost of oil/gas, so to see an effort of alternative energy, seems like a welcoming sight,(at a distance)
as far as thier cost/benefit, im not sure how the results are, so, i'll listen to anyone that lives close to them, or has facts about them. and yes, i'd probly feel differently if i lived very close to them,
Here is a recent article in the Bangor Metro about them as an investment:

bangormetro.com/media/Bangor-Metro/March-2007/Winds-of-Fortune/

Old 03-18-2007, 12:28 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,624,959 times
Quote:
i always wanted a windmill in my yard, and if anyone ever had thier own private windmill, you can charge bangor hydro/cmp/ for excess power going into the grid. id set the invoice up like a phone bill, 300 taxes on it,,,,not knowing why??

Actually, you can't. Charge Bangor Hydro for power that is. At least not as simply as that. Maine has a "net metering" provision where if you have a source of private energy generation, if your system is compatible with the utility grid system you can put excess power into the grid. The way it works is that your meter would run backward or forward depending on whether or not you were taking power off the grid or putting it back. However, at the end of the year, if you generated more power than you consumed, you would not be able to carry that surplus forward. In otherwords, if you generate more power than you use, the best that you will be able to do is ZERO at the end of each year, and any excess power then belongs to the utility.

Now there used to be a considerable number of small privately owned hydro dams that had agreements with the utilities in Maine for the generation of power. I am not sure that there are any of them left now. Some of my clients had water power generators in their businesses, one lumber mill in particular I know had a massive GE generator that ran off the river flow through the property. That was in the 1980's and I don't know if such arrangements still exist.

I think the idea of a private individual having a windmill in their yard and delivering power to the grid would not be possible under Maine PUC regulations. Only a net metering arrangement can be had now, unless the generation capability is quite large...I believe that the thresshold is 4 mw of power, which is far in excess of any one source of generation. You can see exactly how the net metering program works by looking at the Bangor Hydro web site. The agreement to supply power and all the steps that are required to meet the terms established by the company are there.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:11 PM

36 posts, read 89,585 times
Thank you rabbitlover! I'm not alone on here after all.

I just got an added bonus to the noise, light flicker and ugly look of these monsters... I'm loosing my high-speed internet as well. Seems although the windfarm promised communications people that their fans would not interfere with communications, they do. My internet provider has to move their tower elsewhere in order to keep their services going... unfortunately, a windmill will be blocking me from the signal. It's back to dialup for me.

I just hope that it stops soon... the windfarm is just taking and taking and taking from the landowners here, and they don't seem to care.

As for our town manager, he's completely ignored anything I've asked of him. He hasn't even answered to whether or not he gets to keep internet service at the town office.

I'm sure at some point we will move, and I suppose unless I can buy several hundred acres and plant my house smack dab in the middle I'll have to be worried about what else might come in and destroy my lifestyle.

Old 03-19-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qhmare View Post
Thank you rabbitlover! I'm not alone on here after all.

I just got an added bonus to the noise, light flicker and ugly look of these monsters... I'm loosing my high-speed internet as well. Seems although the windfarm promised communications people that their fans would not interfere with communications, they do. My internet provider has to move their tower elsewhere in order to keep their services going... unfortunately, a windmill will be blocking me from the signal. It's back to dialup for me..
Yes, these people lied from the get go. I am sorry this has happened to you and you are going back to dial up.
Does the strobing make you incredibly tired and disoriented? It did it to me about two weeks ago.
Quote:
As for our town manager, he's completely ignored anything I've asked of him. He hasn't even answered to whether or not he gets to keep internet service at the town office..
Our "lovely" town manager is out for one person, himself. He's got what he wanted from the deal and is continuing to make out on the deal by renting some of his properties to these UPC people. Did you know the folks who have the wind mills on their land are only paying 4% of their property tax value?

Quote:
I'm sure at some point we will move, and I suppose unless I can buy several hundred acres and plant my house smack dab in the middle I'll have to be worried about what else might come in and destroy my lifestyle.
Eventually I will be moving from here as well. I think I will move to Houlton when I can.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:12 PM

Does the strobing make you incredibly tired and disoriented? It did it to me about two weeks ago.

We are just at the right angle that the strobing doesn't last long. I'm not sure if it will change seasonally as the tilt of the earth changes, but right now it's very brief. Really threw me though the first time I experienced it as I thought there was something wrong with the lights... but the lights weren't on.

I've felt the disorientation, but from the sound. It was much worse earlier around Christmas when they first started running them. We wear earplugs sometimes just to get a break from them now.

I didn't know that about the landowners who are "renting" their land to the windfarm. Is that just for the footprint that the windmill stands on, or is it for all the land they own in the town? That's quite a hunk of land for some of those landowners. That would translate into quite a hunk of change that the town is not getting in taxes, doesn't seem like it would make sense for the town to give a huge break like that.

I came from the Houlton area, and now that my husband and I both work north of Mars Hill, we'd probably ease further north instead of south. It's a rather sickening thought though as we truly wanted to live right where we are.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:35 PM

qhmare , I was pretty surprised when I heard about the 4% deal for the people who pay taxes on the land the windmills are on!
It does not make sense to me either.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:54 PM

rabbitlover, but is that 4% for all the land they own, or just for the footprint of the windmill?

Old 03-24-2007, 05:00 PM

525 posts, read 2,212,359 times
Hi All, GoldenCrow alerted me to this thread as I am the loudest, and most long-winded contributor to this issue in the New York Board.

First, I love your state-top to bottom and everything in between. We honeymooned for two weeks in Booth Bay and Bar Harbor and managed not to cause too much trouble! If it were not for our business we would have relocated to Maine and not Southern Tier NY.

Anyway, my small town of 800 people and some of the highest peeks of the Catskills just fought, and hopefully ended, the battle against the turbines. Honestly if it were not for the bragging of the leaseholders (secretly made deals under the table) we would have been blindsighted by them like you were. The string of the beasts would have surround my home as I live on a targeted ridge which horseshoes around. I have complete empathy and honest sympathy for obvious reasons. I will tell you one thing, or a few things. The turbines are financial boondoogles that are making a few wealthy richer and are not in any way a solution to our global problem. I think y'all know that already! Secondly, the squeeky wheel gets the grease. I understand that the Mars Hill project was done under guidlines, ordinances in our state, and certain promises were made reagrding sound. Put the town board and the wind scammers to task!! Do all the darn research you can, read the ordinance under which these beasts were built and go line by line, letter by letter. It these things are over the guidelines in any way (strobbing, noise, internet connection) call them on their lies. Make a stink. Ads in the papers, letters to the editiors, TV stations. All press is good press, but a lot of bad press is a lot of bad press. Band together and do a class action (cheeper that way) against the town, the board, and the leaseholders.

I am not trying to stir up trouble, but you guys on the mountain got screwed, and not in the good way. Our town managed to defeat the wind, an ordinace was enacted to the ban them, simply because we organized, made a lot of noise, and rallied against the back-room dealings and bribes under the tables that get these damn things put up in someone's back yard.

wind action dot com, wind wath dot com, and aweo dot com are good resources for current wind actions.

Good luck ans stay strong. Individuals have a voice that is hard to hear, a group has a voice that is hard to ignore. If our group did it (with signed leaseholders on the town and planning boards -conflict of interest anyone?)any group can do it. You do not deserve to have your whole life changed and turned upside down "for the greater good" There is no greater good with the turbines except for the wind companies making millions and the politicians getting "feel good" votes on green energy platforms. Yeah, green as in money, not in energy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine