U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 07:03 PM

36 posts, read 89,582 times

Advertisements

Oh my dear JustSayNo,

You are completely on the money that we were blind-sided. There is talk of lawsuits, but honestly, I just don't see how it will make a difference. I don't know if I'm giving up, or just looking at it realistically. I can't see how a company that has now thrown $85 MILLION dollars at this "project" will actually do anything to make me happy.... because tearing the eyesores down is the only thing that would truly make me happy. I just can't see that it would happen though.

I guess at least we are able to be used by residents of other towns in other states to prove that noise IS an issue, as well as all the other things the windmills bring along. Small reward for us though.

I have to admit, I take great pleasure in hearing those things doing their grinding sound like they're ripping up gears... anything that costs the project more money gives me a little satisfaction. One was doing it yesterday... I can only hope it breaks down soon. There's another small reward for me!

Congratulations on fighting down the big wind before it got to you.
qhmare
Rate this post positively

Old 03-25-2007, 07:14 AM

117 posts, read 407,025 times
Qhmare~I feel the same way.

BTW these things are not merely six stories high, they are twenty-six stories high

To top it off the turbines can catch on fire, and there is no fire supression system in these things.

How can a town like Mars Hill fight such a fire if God forbid one of these things caught on fire

Old 03-25-2007, 10:08 AM

525 posts, read 2,212,285 times
Believe me guys and gals, I feel just awful that you are going through this, and I feel guilty that we narrowly escaped a disaster and you did not. I really do, though I know the words sound and feel hollow. I want you to know that you are not alone in this, there are folks like me on one end (just defeating it) and folks like you on the other (completely screwed by the under-the-table push through) and there are folks in between us all at different stages in this hosile process. My point is you are not alone.

I understand completely just how devastating this feels. But, that is why I posted. I realize it feels like a David vs. Goliath situation-but look how that fable turned out! I know the wind company has spent millions, and will make millions more off your backs, and that is the very reason for all of you on the mountain to stand up and make a huge stink. This is America for God's sake you have every right to think and feel the way you do and you have every right to yell it from the rooftops. IF the turbines are running out of the guidelines that were set forth for the installations you DO have legs to stand on. Granted, decommissioning them is not likely-but the noise is your Ace in the hole. If I remember there were clear noise levels above ambient that were set forth prior to the first beast being put up. If you guys on the North and East side of the mountain are experiencing levels above that pre-termined level that is the weak spot-the installation is running outside of the ordinance and with a good lawyer can be shut down until the offense is corrected AT THE WIND COMPANY'S EXPENSE. Believe me there are law firms that will take this case at a reasonable to pro-bono cost!

Unfortunately, this battle requires time-for research, for commitment, for fortitude. Every town meeting stand united and voice the problems in a calm logical manner (if it become emotional, your comments are disregarded-believe me I have seen that). Write every newspaper, every TV station. Do your research-read ever single piece of paper you can get your hands on regarding the installation and the approval process.

I know that none of you want to have to do this. That is how we felt. WHY should we have to fight for our lives? Why should we have to do all the work, spend all the time, etc. Well, it is a choice. Take it or fight it. YOu CAN fight it, or at least make it as difficult and as ugly as you can. You guys are the ones that are suffering and have had your whole life changed FOREVER. The rest of the residents, some have posted on this thread, obviously don't CARE because they are not living UNDER these beasts. Their lives are not effected 24/7 like yours are. You deserve the right to your voice and opinions just as much as they do theirs. Just because you have different opinions does not invalidate either. But you are paying a heavy price-when everybody else isn't. That makes you more important. I imagine their are a few other residents that are opposed to this aside from you guys. Try to get everyone together and talk about this. Form a group, form a plan. Lots of other towns have done this-there is tons of info on the web. Just google wind turbine and add words like alliance, grassroots etc. and you will find lots of sites with lots of info and experience you can use.

I am not trying to bully you or make you feel guilty. I just want you all to know that you are not alone, you are not selfish and you are not a NIMBY (all of which I am sure you have been accused of). You have a right to not accept this, you have a right to your life, you have a right to stand up and say "this is WRONG." I know this country has become very apathetic and many folks just don't want to bother anymore. That is the exact reason why when a group stands up and makes noise it is noticed-because it is not the 60's anymore-government is not entirely used to being questioned, though with the war that is beginning to happen again.

I will be thinking of you all, please if you have any questions or ideas post them-there are people who can help with whatever we know and have experience. Together, you CAN make a difference!

Last edited by JustSayNo; 03-25-2007 at 10:18 AM.. Reason: dreaded typos

Old 03-26-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
Believe me guys and gals, I feel just awful that you are going through this, and I feel guilty that we narrowly escaped a disaster and you did not. I really do, though I know the words sound and feel hollow. I want you to know that you are not alone in this, there are folks like me on one end (just defeating it) and folks like you on the other (completely screwed by the under-the-table push through) and there are folks in between us all at different stages in this hosile process. My point is you are not alone.

I understand completely just how devastating this feels. But, that is why I posted. I realize it feels like a David vs. Goliath situation-but look how that fable turned out! I know the wind company has spent millions, and will make millions more off your backs, and that is the very reason for all of you on the mountain to stand up and make a huge stink. This is America for God's sake you have every right to think and feel the way you do and you have every right to yell it from the rooftops. IF the turbines are running out of the guidelines that were set forth for the installations you DO have legs to stand on. Granted, decommissioning them is not likely-but the noise is your Ace in the hole. If I remember there were clear noise levels above ambient that were set forth prior to the first beast being put up. If you guys on the North and East side of the mountain are experiencing levels above that pre-termined level that is the weak spot-the installation is running outside of the ordinance and with a good lawyer can be shut down until the offense is corrected AT THE WIND COMPANY'S EXPENSE. Believe me there are law firms that will take this case at a reasonable to pro-bono cost!

Unfortunately, this battle requires time-for research, for commitment, for fortitude. Every town meeting stand united and voice the problems in a calm logical manner (if it become emotional, your comments are disregarded-believe me I have seen that). Write every newspaper, every TV station. Do your research-read ever single piece of paper you can get your hands on regarding the installation and the approval process.

I know that none of you want to have to do this. That is how we felt. WHY should we have to fight for our lives? Why should we have to do all the work, spend all the time, etc. Well, it is a choice. Take it or fight it. YOu CAN fight it, or at least make it as difficult and as ugly as you can. You guys are the ones that are suffering and have had your whole life changed FOREVER. The rest of the residents, some have posted on this thread, obviously don't CARE because they are not living UNDER these beasts. Their lives are not effected 24/7 like yours are. You deserve the right to your voice and opinions just as much as they do theirs. Just because you have different opinions does not invalidate either. But you are paying a heavy price-when everybody else isn't. That makes you more important. I imagine their are a few other residents that are opposed to this aside from you guys. Try to get everyone together and talk about this. Form a group, form a plan. Lots of other towns have done this-there is tons of info on the web. Just google wind turbine and add words like alliance, grassroots etc. and you will find lots of sites with lots of info and experience you can use.

I am not trying to bully you or make you feel guilty. I just want you all to know that you are not alone, you are not selfish and you are not a NIMBY (all of which I am sure you have been accused of). You have a right to not accept this, you have a right to your life, you have a right to stand up and say "this is WRONG." I know this country has become very apathetic and many folks just don't want to bother anymore. That is the exact reason why when a group stands up and makes noise it is noticed-because it is not the 60's anymore-government is not entirely used to being questioned, though with the war that is beginning to happen again.

I will be thinking of you all, please if you have any questions or ideas post them-there are people who can help with whatever we know and have experience. Together, you CAN make a difference!

Fortunately, there is a fight. I wish we had the knowledge and ability to have stopped them, but our wonderful and stellar town planner, not the town counciler said a number of times, "This is on private land there is nothing you can do about it..." Honest to God I want to spit when I see that guy in town. This being a small town and all I see him often crossing the street and not looking one bit guilty because he is making $$$ off of this. Some of the neighbors are forming an association to do something.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:58 AM

106 posts, read 348,713 times
Ghmare & Rabbitlover -- I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through in the Mars Hill area. It's a heartbreaker. Like you, in NY we won't get to vote on this massive development project -- something that will radically change the nature of our town for generations. We don't have a say in whether or not we want them, how close they can be to our homes and property lines, what is an "acceptable" level of noise, what happens with the money. It's such a scam.

By the way, the wind sales people say that there is no noise issue! But now that they are building them in areas where people live (rather than out in the California desert or in the middle of Texas) they are finding out that they ARE a big nuisance. Proper siting of these 400' tall (and taller!) machines is critical, and they should not be allowed to build them near people's homes.

Getting together with your neighbors is a good idea, and as JustSayNo said -- you can make a difference. Keep your spirits up and good luck.

Remember, too, that it's easy for people to be critical of your concerns as they sip a latte made from organically grown beans at a cafe in Portland. So many people are letting themselves be manipulated by corporations who've co-opted the "green" message. Once you take the time to understand the issues, you'll see that this is big business -- really big business -- funded with our tax dollars and taking our natural resources out of our communities and leaving us with very little in return. The wind sales people manipulate our desire to want to do something good and twist it into what will make the most money for their corporate stock holders. Fortunately, more and more people who consider themselves environmentalists are waking up to this issue.

Old 03-27-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenCrow View Post
Remember, too, that it's easy for people to be critical of your concerns as they sip a latte made from organically grown beans at a cafe in Portland. .

GoldenCrow... this really made me giggle!

I really appreciate what you and JustSayNo have said on here. It's so nice to hear that there are people who don't think we're just whining and complaining. I got home very late tonight, but had a message that the windfarm corporation wants to meet with us (the north and east side residents) on Friday. I am not sure what it's about, but we'll see what they have to say.

qhmare

Old 03-27-2007, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
I am not trying to bully you or make you feel guilty. I just want you all to know that you are not alone, you are not selfish and you are not a NIMBY (all of which I am sure you have been accused of).

Thank you JustSayNo!
It's nice to have a vote of confidence from someone outside where we stand. Thank you for the pep talk!

qhmare

Old 03-28-2007, 07:34 AM

We are here for you guys even though we are far away!

Friday should be interesting. Stand firm with the shylocks, they are smooth as silk and slippery as a snake. They know they have been caught "dipping into the till" and will some prepared with lots of talk. From experience, I find the best way to talk at them is calmly and organized. Emotions and yelling and crying (all of which you want to do I know) just allows them to walk out with "what a bunch of whiney NIMBY losers" Don't fall for the "suffering of a few for the greater good" don't fall for the tactics they use all over this country!

I will do some digging. Can't wait to hear what they have say

Old 03-28-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Ghmare & Rabbitlover -- I'm really sorry to hear what you're going through in the Mars Hill area. It's a heartbreaker. Like you, in NY we won't get to vote on this massive development project -- something that will radically change the nature of our town for generations. We don't have a say in whether or not we want them, how close they can be to our homes and property lines, what is an "acceptable" level of noise, what happens with the money. It's such a scam.

By the way, the wind sales people say that there is no noise issue! .
They have lied...at times the wind mills sound like an airport or sneakers in a clothes dryer!

Quote:
But now that they are building them in areas where people live (rather than out in the California desert or in the middle of Texas) they are finding out that they ARE a big nuisance. Proper siting of these 400' tall (and taller!) machines is critical, and they should not be allowed to build them near people's homes..
Exactly. Build them but keep them away from people's homes.

Quote:
Remember, too, that it's easy for people to be critical of your concerns as they sip a latte made from organically grown beans at a cafe in Portland. .

And Lord knows they are from Boston so they really would'nt understand what it's like to have the ecology of the area violated! I left Connecticut to live up here because all of Boston and New York was moving into CT. !

Old 03-31-2007, 09:55 AM

I was thinking of you all yesterday. How did your meeting go? I do hope some resolution is found that you each find acceptable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine