Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2008, 03:35 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times

Advertisements

The second wind farm is in Township 8 in Washington County. None of it is in Prentiss. Prentiss just happens to be where the most noise came from in opposition at the public hearings. Prentiss is in Penobscot County. You can't even see the project from the road where the noisy opposition and signs came from.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:10 PM

1,816 posts, read 3,389,791 times
I think the biggest problem is that Mars Hill has the most boring webcam you could find anywhere. Mars Hill Wind Farm At least it updates every hour.

There are hundreds of these near Tracy, CA where my sister lives. Going through the pass on highway 580 on a windy day, many are moving but quite a few are stationary. I imagine they are on timers or in need of repair or even regulated somehow. There aren't too many people who live near them except maybe some old farms where cattle graze under them. I don't see any housing projects encroaching on them yet. They've been around here since I moved to CA in the mid seventies. I'm sure they generate enough electricity so enough people can get cable and the internet for months at a time.

Old 07-08-2008, 04:22 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
The second wind farm is in Township 8 in Washington County. None of it is in Prentiss. Prentiss just happens to be where the most noise came from in opposition at the public hearings. Prentiss is in Penobscot County. You can't even see the project from the road where the noisy opposition and signs came from.
people who live near them wind farms otta feel lucky they dont live near a hydro dam 100 times the noise.you cam hear them 10 miles away if not more

Old 07-08-2008, 04:29 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMartin View Post
Name one.

I don't even have a clue what you are suggesting here. I am as far from a "jingoist" as anyone could possibly be. I don't know where you got your "aggressive lack of knowledge" but Adam Smith is not the be all and end all, not even among laissez faire economists.

Try reading some Frederic Bastiat or Ludwig von Mises.
Both Flaming Liberals....we should have known.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:30 PM

525 posts, read 2,350,985 times
Quote:
JSN,

Thank you. But please do not feel I am fully on your side either. I am FOR alternate energy generation, and I am all FOR wind towers. (It's placement, setback and noise levels that I am concerned about, and possible graft and corruption.)

I have not seen enough proof that we don't indeed have just a few "whiners" in Mars Hill. But I am listening....Something I'm sure Coaster would never do.

Nor have I seen enough proof that any graft or corruption occurred in any case in Maine, at this point in time...But again, I am listening.
Steve, if you have read all my posts, not just in ME, you would see that I too am all for alternatives. It is the methods used to put these turbines up that I am against. Just google UPC, and you will find that they are one of the WORST of these companies in terms of telling the truth about noise, flicker, local jobs (which in NY were pulled at the last minute), PILOTS, roads, etc. Look up Cohocton, NY and you can learn more.

This is, IMHO, a classic example of corporate greed-just new corporations-most of them LLCs with FOREIGN parent companies. Same old thing, just a new installation.

Obviously, the Mainer's on this board are all for Turbines all over their mountains. In spite of MUCH information being available about the tricks that have been played, the local govs. being brainwashed and paid off, etc., everyone here seem all for it. If the majority of the town votes YES, than there is nothing to be done, but the problem is votes are not taken, people do not get a voice.

At least folks who do believe all the hype have a voice on the net to share with others whom are interested in learning all the sides of this. My belief, ME is in trouble with this and 10 years from now-a lot of regrets will come from the citizens as a whole and not a single traditionalpower plant will be closed. So what was it all for?

Old 07-08-2008, 06:04 PM

109 posts, read 221,592 times
JSN,

Are you saying you have confirmed proof of bribery, or other illegal behavior on the part of UPC? Are they being sued elsewhere?

If you are only against the methods used to get them put up, then I guess we are on the same side for the most part. I would never allow under-handed tactics "in my backyard," that's for sure.

Has there been anymore proof of wrongdoing in Mars Hill?

IMO, these companies MUST be able to float their projects to the local voters based upon their merits--and I suspect lower utility rates sure as heck ought to be part of that. If they can't do that there are plenty of really rural locations in which no voters will be impacted.

We just had two MAJOR wind power projects go up within 35 miles of my house and our rates went up 50% two months ago.

Go figure!

Pardon my extreme time constraints, but if you will post links, I'll have a look...

Cheers.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:10 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,673,204 times
Maine just loves shutting down traditional power plants. The Edwards Dam just above Augusta used to generate clean pollution free power. Just last month Red Shield shut down their biomass power plant in Old Town. Maine Yankee nuclear power plant shut down. The biomass power plant in Staceyville has been shut down. The dam at Great Works in Old Town is scheduled to be shut down and there is a dam at Veazie scheduled to be shut down. These are not just shut-downs. These dams will be removed. These several examples come to mind immediately. There are others, I'm sure.

Just a modicum of research would prevent these ridiculous statements from being made. The environmental industry has an agenda. They want no new power generation by any method and they want as many existing power generation plants shut down as possible. It is important to understand that Muslim terrorists and eco-terrorists want the same things for you and me. They want us to go back to a 7th century existence.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:48 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,201,628 times
Quote:
JSN,

Are you saying you have confirmed proof of bribery, or other illegal behavior on the part of UPC? Are they being sued elsewhere?

If you are only against the methods used to get them put up, then I guess we are on the same side for the most part. I would never allow under-handed tactics "in my backyard," that's for sure.

Has there been anymore proof of wrongdoing in Mars Hill?

IMO, these companies MUST be able to float their projects to the local voters based upon their merits--and I suspect lower utility rates sure as heck ought to be part of that. If they can't do that
Quote:
there are plenty of really rural locations in which no voters will be impacted.
We just had two MAJOR wind power projects go up within 35 miles of my house and our rates went up 50% two months ago.

Go figure!

Pardon my extreme time constraints, but if you will post links, I'll have a look...

Cheers.
its about the money and nothing else.sure they could put them up in no mans land but then they have to spend millions getting the power to the consumer.even if they decided to put wind power 200 miles from now where some one some where would be crying about it.

Old 07-09-2008, 05:58 AM

109 posts, read 221,592 times
Yes, someone would. But that someone would have little standing. They certainly would not have the moral authority to complain that potentially some folks in Mars Hill might.

I mean, if it's true that some people are being exposed to 45-52 decibel sound 24/7 up there, than that's an issue.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:18 AM

653 posts, read 1,918,122 times
rmore, i like your windmills, it is very quite. i have my speaker volume up did not hear a thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMoore007 View Post
I think the biggest problem is that Mars Hill has the most boring webcam you could find anywhere. Mars Hill Wind Farm At least it updates every hour.

There are hundreds of these near Tracy, CA where my sister lives. Going through the pass on highway 580 on a windy day, many are moving but quite a few are stationary. I imagine they are on timers or in need of repair or even regulated somehow. There aren't too many people who live near them except maybe some old farms where cattle graze under them. I don't see any housing projects encroaching on them yet. They've been around here since I moved to CA in the mid seventies. I'm sure they generate enough electricity so enough people can get cable and the internet for months at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine