U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 11:17 AM

24 posts, read 63,650 times

Advertisements

We too live on the East side of Mars Hill Mountain and although the windmills haven't been a life-changing entity for us they are for most of our neighbors. There are a few things I'd like to address:

the first is that we too lost our wireless until I insisted the wireless company maintain their contract with us to provide the services for the year....whether it involved free installation of satellite equipment at the same monthly cost or whatever it took. You and I both had a signal until they made the business decision to move the tower. The wireless company was here for about 4 hours with a bucket truck and had to move the receiver onto the roof and put in a 6' antenna but we got our signal and service back. I knew, GHMare, that you had lost yours and asked how many more people he had to go see.....the young man that was here was not aware of anyone else behind the mountain that had a problem.....maybe you should prod them a little bit??

The second thing is the concern over fire.....apparently the windmill company (and perhaps the town council?? I'm not sure who and how the decision was made) decided and trained the Presque Isle Fire Department for fire control on the mountain. The local volunteer fire department (who are very good) have been left out of the tour and training completely. Now who do you suppose is going to have to pay the Presque Isle Fire Department for services? Historically it's the town. Now maybe some other arrangements have been made but as far as I know it hasn't been addressed.

I have to say that originally we supported the windmills and enjoyed them, however, we weren't aware of the many problems our neighbors were having and we do support our neighbors more.

I also have been told that our town manager has sold his home to the windmill company and it will be used for their offices etc......seems like a conflict of interest to me. He should not have a personal financial gain from this company....he should be asked to resign on that basis alone. And not reading the reports and applications he signed in the name of the town is also criminal!
Rate this post positively

Old 04-01-2007, 11:32 AM

525 posts, read 2,211,934 times
Oh Daizy, this is all behavior that is very prevalent in the development of turbine installations. There is major conflict of interest throughout the town boards in most targeted towns. Leases were signed with landholders secretly and under the table, with gag-orders attached ensuring that a leaseholder may NEVER say one negative word about the turbines, the lines, the access roads and all turbines business done on the property for which the lease was signed. Noise, flicker, interuption of servies, etc. are big issues. FIRE is also a huge issue, no town has equipment that fight a fire 410 ft. tall, up on top of a ridge with access limited to the roads that were cut. Leaving your town's dept. out is simply another political play that really hurts everyone and benefits a few insiders.

This is all so terrible what has happened to you guys. Many of our NY towns are fighting the same battles, some towns have banned them outright thanks to the huge amount of info that is out there regarding poor planning, siting, and dirty businees practices.

Your town manager sounds like he only had green in his eyes, and forgot what he was elected to do-work for the residents that pay his salary. He is not alone however-he is in good company. Lots of bad supervisors/manajors/mayors are being discovered and their true colors are finally coming out! All of this does not lesson the improprities of your manager, but at least you know he is not the only one who was easily bought and manipulated

Old 04-01-2007, 12:02 PM

117 posts, read 406,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaizyMaine View Post

I also have been told that our town manager has sold his home to the windmill company and it will be used for their offices etc......seems like a conflict of interest to me. He should not have a personal financial gain from this company....he should be asked to resign on that basis alone. And not reading the reports and applications he signed in the name of the town is also criminal!
Go figure...I am shocked UPC and the stellar town planner/manager would do such an unethical thing!

Old 04-01-2007, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post
I was thinking of you all yesterday. How did your meeting go? I do hope some resolution is found that you each find acceptable
I can't comment...yet. I will when I get the permission to.
All I can state is: if these people, UPC decide to prey on your town, get an attorney, stop them before they get a foot hold in your town.

Old 04-01-2007, 01:43 PM

525 posts, read 2,211,934 times
Thanks Rabbit, I figured part of the offer to "talk" was a silence-clause. Very similiar to the gag-orders that come with leases for landholders!

I can only imagine the crap they sat in front of you with-as they lied through thier teeth. My guess would be a non-participating landowner lease, which among other things (at least in our area in NY) includes a "keep your mouth shut and stop making trouble" clause along with some money to compensate you for your "minor inconvience."

Old 04-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Quote:
We too live on the East side of Mars Hill Mountain and although the windmills haven't been a life-changing entity for us they are for most of our neighbors. There are a few things I'd like to address:

the first is that we too lost our wireless until I insisted the wireless company maintain their contract with us to provide the services for the year....whether it involved free installation of satellite equipment at the same monthly cost or whatever it took. You and I both had a signal until they made the business decision to move the tower. The wireless company was here for about 4 hours with a bucket truck and had to move the receiver onto the roof and put in a 6' antenna but we got our signal and service back. I knew, GHMare, that you had lost yours and asked how many more people he had to go see.....the young man that was here was not aware of anyone else behind the mountain that had a problem.....maybe you should prod them a little bit??

The second thing is the concern over fire.....apparently the windmill company (and perhaps the town council?? I'm not sure who and how the decision was made) decided and trained the Presque Isle Fire Department for fire control on the mountain. The local volunteer fire department (who are very good) have been left out of the tour and training completely. Now who do you suppose is going to have to pay the Presque Isle Fire Department for services? Historically it's the town. Now maybe some other arrangements have been made but as far as I know it hasn't been addressed.

I have to say that originally we supported the windmills and enjoyed them, however, we weren't aware of the many problems our neighbors were having and we do support our neighbors more.

I have a question...why can't I get TimeWarner where I am???

Also do you know if you even insinuated there was a shady deal between the town planner and UPC they would be very, very, offended to even suggest such a thing!

Old 04-01-2007, 02:57 PM

You mean if we didn't go to the meeting we can't know anything that was discussed, but it was an "open" meeting? What does that mean?

Old 04-01-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
You mean if we didn't go to the meeting we can't know anything that was discussed, but it was an "open" meeting? What does that mean?
It means at the meetings, that Mr. T.P (town planner) and Mr. so-and-so, from UPC, said there would be nearly "no" noise. Or something along those lines.

By the way, do you have many, many sight seers driving by your house?

Old 04-01-2007, 03:07 PM

I suggested such a thing, a shady deal between Mr. TP and UPC, and people got very offended!!

Old 04-01-2007, 03:30 PM

As a matter of fact the traffic has picked up immensely.......but they are going awfully fast when they reach this point of the road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine