U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2007, 08:33 PM

36 posts, read 89,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaizyMaine View Post
Has anyone heard what the DEP has decided about the noise levels.....or are we still waiting on the reams of paperwork that has to happen before they do their measurements? With these last few sunny days, I can see the strobing effect you have spoken of.....not being outside much in the winter I hadn't noticed before....I can hear them, but here it just sounds like it's really windy even when it isn't.
I'm not sure Daizy... I heard a rumor that sound measurements might be on hold somehow due to the MLA having to make suggestions on who they want to be involved in the sound measurements. DEP doesn't have the equipment necessary, so it has to be contracted out.
qhmare
Rate this post positively

Old 05-02-2007, 08:45 PM

19,276 posts, read 25,723,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitlover View Post

Hey Mainebrokerman, they are right on Mars Hill mountain, you know where the ski area is, right, Big Rock?.
rabbit,,,was at the mars hill iga parking lot today ,,,i got out to see if i could hear any humming from the windmills,,maybe i wasnt close enough,,didnt hear anything,...(im over 40 so maybe im losing my hearing,,lol)

Old 05-03-2007, 12:08 PM

106 posts, read 348,727 times
Default Article from Bangor Daily News on Wind Turbine Noise Concerns

Here's an article from yesterday's Bangor Daily News:

http://www.windaction.org/news/9312

Let's hope they do more than "plan to pay closer attention" to this significant problem with noise from wind turbines!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:11 PM

581 posts, read 589,588 times
Are there any host-community benefits?

Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 AM

525 posts, read 2,212,359 times
Amen GoldenCrow! UPC is playing the game heard in Cohocton, NY, they are dirty dirty scoundels. Cohocton is practically at war with one another and UPC is on the sidelines waiting for the shakeout.

It is so sad that Mars Hill is now the poster child for "Watch out, they will ********* too" SUCH a shame, didn't have to happen if the damn federal gov, instead of subsidizing this outdated crap, would FORCE a real turbine to be engineered-one that does not reqiure 4 acres cleared per turbine, one that is not over 400 ft. tall, one that is quiet. THESE type of turbines are being invented, but it is almost too late for this first wave of turbine attack.

Everyone will see in 5-7 years that all the towers up never should have been up. If we just waited, spent the tax and subsidy money on more R&D and better, kinder solutions, we all would have options. But noooooooo, elections are coming and all these jerks HAD to jump on the green boondoggle wagon because of the war. What a shame, the baby gone thrown out with the bath water, and the good folks of Mars Hill are the victims.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:02 AM

Are you sure you guys aren't making a mountain out of a molehill?

Old 05-04-2007, 10:48 AM

I suppose it is all relative. Do some research, just search wind turbine, add NY and you will get a butt load. If you live no where near the industrial develpment, than I guess it will not matter to you. If you live near them, hear them, see them, see the flicker, see your prop. value go down, see your dream ruined because of them, see your neighbor make thousands on a lease yet it is on the prop line and overshadows your home, see your rural, quiet mountian clear cut 4 acres per turbine, clear cut for roads and transmission lines---well than it may of interest to you.

It is not only that these are already outdated-better ones are being invented as we speak-samll, quiet, unobtrusive, less expensive, more effecient-but the fact that in a free country many towns are doing these deals behind closed doors, getting their payoffs and keeping it secret. The residents whom pay the taxes and live and support the town are being given no vote, no choice. THAT is the worst part, the part that IS NOT acceptable in my mind.

I for one, do not wish to have other people suffer for someone else to make monry. These turbines as they are contribute almost nothing to the energy crisis. Wind is inconsistant, can not be stored, and when the energy is really needed, the wind does not blow, ie HOT SUMMER MONTHS. YOu know your wind, I know mine. If the wind blows over 25mpg, they are shut down for safety. These are not the answer! another generation or form of them may be, but as it stands the price is FAR higher than the gain in many peoples' opinions.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSayNo View Post

...the fact that in a free country many towns are doing these deals behind closed doors, getting their payoffs and keeping it secret. The residents whom pay the taxes and live and support the town are being given no vote, no choice. THAT is the worst part, the part that IS NOT acceptable in my mind...
Are you suggesting that bribery has taken place?

Isn't there a Planning Board? If not, who makes the final decisions?

As someone who does not live in the vicinity, I am appreciative of seeing alternative, green-energy generation developed. But if what you say is true, it's very disturbing.

Old 05-04-2007, 11:47 AM

41,478 posts, read 54,150,424 times
Default wind power distress

I am a strong supporter of any energy source that does not burn carbon. That includes nuclear fission with fuel recycle (my preferred long term energy solution) with hydroelectric, big and small, followed by all sizes of wind turbine. All of these are vehemently opposed by the NIMBY (that is meant to be pejorative) factions that are living close to the existing and/or proposed facilities. I do not think that the desires of a very few should completely override the needs of the many. Usually the very few strongly disagree.

JustSayNo – I would like to point out that wind turbines are designed to capture electrical energy and not on demand power. The energy captured by wind plants can be stored for future use just as the excess energy produced during the night by a nuclear or base load fossil fuel plant is stored for used during the day. The storage devices are either pumped storage hydro plants or ponding at conventional hydroelectric facilities. The grid dispatchers regulate this supply/demand structure to provide reasonably regular power.

I do agree with you that the large manufacturing and development companies have abused the system of subsidies provided to aid the development of alternative power. IMHO part of this abuse is designed to create an adverse reaction to the alternatives so the suppliers of the fossil fuel (oil & coal) will be able to maintain their oligopoly. They certainly seem to spend enough money lobbying congress to protect their businesses. I am not completely unaware of the abuses and am certainly no friend of monopoly.

Old 05-04-2007, 01:10 PM

TO both- I have spent the last 13 months researching and battling this issue in my town and State of NY. NY is a home rule state, meaning the local governments make the decisions. The way NY is working is the Planning Board, or special comittee that is form, it supposed to do the research, make a rec. to the Town Board and the Board votes. PROBLEM IS, in many towns across the state memebers of BOTH boards HAVE SIGNED LEASES. Huge conflict of interest. OR, family memember of board members have signed leases. Look up Cherry Valley, Cohocton, or Stamford or Bovina NY. All of these towns have a lot of info on their websites that give you a peek into the dark side of how this happens. Hell, look at Mars Hill-find out what happened in your own state! They got screwed Big-time, they had no idea these were coming until it was so far down the pipleine and they were told sorry you have no say.

Cohocton is the worst, they really are gettin gthe brunt of dirty politicians. There ordinance contains a "danger zone" of 1500 ft around the turbine. BUT, insteed of the turbine not allowed closer than 1500 ft, it is Nothing is allowed WITHIN 1500 ft of the turbine. many neighboring landowers now have swath of their land that is useless FOREVER because of their neighbors' turbines. meaning it is a dead zone-they can not build or do anything on the land within the zone....and they owned the land first and the turbines are not even up yet! Totally backwards-supproting the turbines not the TAXPAYERS.

It goes on and on in Cohocton. That is the best look into the dark side. Dirty dirty politics and dirty tactics. The wind companies know that opposition is growing, and they tell the local gov. to keep it quiet if they want the project to go through.

Regarding storage of wind power, in our state there is no way to store it.never have I seen proposed pumped storage hydro plants or ponding at conventional hydroelectric facilities. SO, here, it is in the grid when it is generated. When the wind does not blow, no energy is created except for the POWER STATION that is connected to the turbines-they spin the blades when the wind won't.

I URGE both of you take some time and search search search. This is beyond NIMBYs (the most favorite excuse for pro-wind) this is Don Q. literally chasing the windmills. I say we can do better, technology wise, morally, ethically, and politically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine