Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:16 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieF View Post
Sounds like a lot of fun :-) Post some ice storm pictures. They were always my favorite when I lived in Ct. You all need to move south :-)
but how in the world would we find a real estate agent.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 07:23 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Cover your wood pile, fill your wood box and lug most of it in now!

Fill the tub with water - you won't be flushing later!
The wood is covered, I don't have a wood box, I can't put 6 1/2 cords in the garage!

I don't have a bathtub anymore either, it's now a shower! We have a dug well out front that we used in '98 for flush water.

We remember the '98 ice storm.... it isn't panic it's being cautious!
There were areas in the State that lost power for nearly a month. We lost it here for 7 days.

We have a 6500 watt generator we bought shortly after the '98 storm. It will run most of the house.

I'll have to make sure the battery is up on it and we have some gasoline for it.

Old 12-10-2008, 07:33 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
Can't answer that one Actually I love Maine. Both my parents are from Maine. I just can't handle your cold no matter how beautiful it is.

Have a great day brrrrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarlicGuy View Post
but how in the world would we find a real estate agent.......

Old 12-10-2008, 07:49 AM

701 posts, read 1,083,211 times
Quote:
Sounds like a lot of fun :-) Post some ice storm pictures. They were always my favorite when I lived in Ct. You all need to move south :-)
Move South!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying to get out of the South.......Mild weather!!! The summers are anything but mild, all 6 months of it and no REAL winter (OK ,maybe two weeks of it) I will not miss the all the "house farms", constant traffic and the horrific mis-management of an enormous population increase. People think this is the promised land or something, well it's not. Family moved here from Maine, they lasted one year and moved back North, couldn't stand the summer, they felt trapped in they're house for months! and don't forget the AC bills, and we are not that far South.

I'll take cold and rural anyday and yes, I'd love pictures too!

(got a little ranty there, sorry, I'll go get more coffee now)

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-10-2008 at 09:47 AM.. Reason: language

Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
The wood is covered, I don't have a wood box, I can't put 6 1/2 cords in the garage!

I don't have a bathtub anymore either, it's now a shower! We have a dug well out front that we used in '98 for flush water.

We remember the '98 ice storm.... it isn't panic it's being cautious!
There were areas in the State that lost power for nearly a month. We lost it here for 7 days.

We have a 6500 watt generator we bought shortly after the '98 storm. It will run most of the house.

I'll have to make sure the battery is up on it and we have some gasoline for it.
I remember that one well! It sounded like a war zone with all the tree branches falling. We were without power for two weeks. I bought a generator the next day after three trips to Home Depot. What a fiasco! People that didn't have power or heat had to worry about their houses freezing up.

Old 12-10-2008, 08:42 AM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
Move South!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm trying to get out of the South.......Mild weather!!! The summers are anything but mild, all 6 months of it and no REAL winter (OK ,maybe two weeks of it) I will not miss the all the "house farms", constant traffic and the horrific mis-management of an enormous population increase. People think this is the promised land or something, well it's not. Family moved here from Maine, they lasted one year and moved back North, couldn't stand the summer, they felt trapped in they're house for months! and don't forget the AC bills, and we are not that far South.

Ranting is allowed, I try to do it on a regular basis.
In my old age I can only handle Maine winters for a couple of weeks at a time and I love the heat way down here. Yes, city living leaves a lot to be desired. But I wear my rose colored glasses everyday and just stare out at the beautiful private beach in my back yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxtrader View Post
I remember that one well! It sounded like a war zone with all the tree branches falling. We were without power for two weeks. I bought a generator the next day after three trips to Home Depot. What a fiasco! People that didn't have power or heat had to worry about their houses freezing up.
We were 13 days w/o power. With nothing but a kerosene heater and a fireplace at the time. I stooped so low as to go out to my recently deceased uncles house in West Bowdoin and 'borrow' some of his firewood as we couldn't get any delivered due to the harsh conditions. My family told me he would have been happy to know I had it and used it to keep the kids warm. Deperate times... desperate measures.

Last edited by 7th generation; 12-10-2008 at 09:48 AM..

Old 12-10-2008, 09:31 AM

3,455 posts, read 2,787,312 times
come to think of it.... days like today might be called "Procrastinators Day" where Mother Nature gives us one more day to get outside and clean up the buckets, garden stakes and other things that you should have done in September.Its her little warning that Winter will arrive soon for a few months.

Old 12-10-2008, 09:42 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,488,293 times
Gosh...down here in RI I thought we were just getting a little forecast of the January thaw! The wind is howling through the trees all around us. We only have a small 1800W genset but she runs great. 3 types of heat this year; the propane will run without power. We are all set...let the wind howl!

Oh, and that storm this weekend? Lots of RAIN! 2-4" of rain! (We have a sump pump, too!)

Old 12-10-2008, 09:44 AM

1,540 posts, read 5,563,693 times
lol wow no problem rant on. I can lay in the sun in March and sometimes in Nov. So 3 months of bad weather I can stand, but not anymore. I visit in the winter when I want to see snow. Oh one thing I hate up north is everytime I touch the car to get in I get zapped. Static electricity is awful there. Really every place isn't for everyone and you have to be happy where you are. Happiness comes from within. Some people are just not happy anywhere.

Have a great day
Debbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post

Old 12-10-2008, 10:56 AM

740 posts, read 1,882,291 times
Quote:
Happiness comes from within. Some people are just not happy anywhere.
Great qoute! I know a few like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine