Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 08:22 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,811,924 times

Advertisements

would I like caribou
i'm looking for a kick back quite life. i'm sick of the city. I have been looking at caribou alot and it looks quiet and kick back. whats the crime rate like medical aka hospitals and shopping
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 09:58 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,904,275 times
We live in Caribou. It's laid back and a really nice town. Crime is almost nonexistent. The hospital is very good. There are some smaller shops, a big supermarket, and a budget supermarket. There is also a Rite Aid and a Family Dollar. Then of course there is Sleeper's, which is pretty legendary. It's 100 years old, and is a combination grocery/clothing/sporting goods store (with a few other things thrown in).

Old 10-11-2014, 12:13 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
First of all, I'm assuming you either have already secured employment in the Caribou area, or don't need employment, because Maine is a poor state and northern Maine one of the poorer parts of the state. There are very few employment opportunities up there. It is a small city (by Maine standards) in northern Maine. I loved living there. But you have to like living in a place where winters are long and cold, and most of the big city things don't exist. There is a small hospital there. The closest "large," full service hospital, is around 170 miles away. There is a small supermarket in Caribou, which was one of my favorites of all time, but it is small. The closest "big" supermarket is about 15 miles away. There are a couple of fast food places there, and a couple small diner/restaurants in town.

I'd say, that before you consider living in Caribou, you should investigate the climate. Winters begin in November and end in April. 30-40 below zero temperatures in January and February are not uncommon. Then, I would advise that you rent there for a year. If you like it, there is not better place to live in Maine.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangorme View Post
First of all, I'm assuming you either have already secured employment in the Caribou area, or don't need employment, because Maine is a poor state and northern Maine one of the poorer parts of the state. There are very few employment opportunities up there. It is a small city (by Maine standards) in northern Maine. I loved living there. But you have to like living in a place where winters are long and cold, and most of the big city things don't exist. There is a small hospital there. The closest "large," full service hospital, is around 170 miles away. There is a small supermarket in Caribou, which was one of my favorites of all time, but it is small. The closest "big" supermarket is about 15 miles away. There are a couple of fast food places there, and a couple small diner/restaurants in town.

I'd say, that before you consider living in Caribou, you should investigate the climate. Winters begin in November and end in April. 30-40 below zero temperatures in January and February are not uncommon. Then, I would advise that you rent there for a year. If you like it, there is not better place to live in Maine.
I don't know how long it was since you lived here, but the biggest supermarket is pretty good sized. (It is about to be taken over by Hannaford). And there are a lot more places to eat than four.
As for jobs, I don't know if the OP is looking for work. Our unemployment rate is a bit higher than the state and national average.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:58 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,200,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I don't know how long it was since you lived here, but the biggest supermarket is pretty good sized. (It is about to be taken over by Hannaford). And there are a lot more places to eat than four.
As for jobs, I don't know if the OP is looking for work. Our unemployment rate is a bit higher than the state and national average.
Unless Paradis's has grown to the size of Graves or Walmart in Presque Isle in the last five years, it's pretty small. The population in Caribou has been stable during the last decade, so I don't expect an expansion. I think it's important to not overstate things. Yeah, there may be more dining spots in Caribou than four (didn't check the yellow pages), but my point was that it is pretty limited.

As far as jobs go, I'm certainly not going to overstate that. Don't come to Maine without a job unless you have another means of support, anyplace in Maine.

I did forget the movie theater in Caribou, and the Burger Boy (one of my favorite summer places to eat).

In any event, if the OP has a means of support, give a shot. Rent for a year and see if you like it. I lived in Aroostook County for 11 years (three in Caribou) I really enjoyed it.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:10 PM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
Here's what I have found since moving to Caribou 3 months ago....the people are very nice and friendly, Sleeper's is great, Shop n Save is average. If you have pets, call Pet Vet (mobile) and stay away from North Country Animal Hospital. As far as restaurants....Burger Boy is great but it closes in early November. There is a good restaurant in the Caribou Inn and Convention Center, but every other place I've tried has been awful. Caribou is not a place with a typical downtown. You pretty much have to drive everywhere.

Old 10-11-2014, 08:11 PM

Well, no place is as big as the Super Wal Mart grocery. The Shop and Save is about the same size as Graves in Presque Isle.

As for the downtown, we live in it, and I actually have always thought of it as kind of quintessential. Which these days, does indeed mean "not typical". The list of things we can walk to is pretty long. One of the things I really like about the town is that its downtown hasn't been lost to sprawl.

Old 10-12-2014, 02:36 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,217,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I heard that too, Hannaford is buying out paradis for total store ownership
this includes all shopnsaves north of milinocket , also brewer and Calais

if I won the lottery, id be looking for a place around caribou- big sky country

people are awesome!!

I've got a question for you- anyone that presently lives in caribou, or Aroostook county,
it is often said aroostook county is the poorest county in the state with the lowest ave income

can you name one area that would be considered a slum???

ive heard for years how this area is the poorest of the poor, yet when you drive around the outskirts of town, I see the most well kept and manicured lawns/yards
these folks that may not have a lot, really take care of what they have

Old 10-12-2014, 05:18 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,231,835 times
I disagree about sprawl. With the exception of the PO, Cubby, movie theater, and Sleeper's dollar store, everything else is on the other side of town.

Old 10-12-2014, 03:41 PM

You must mean Bennett Drive, which does have alot. They are trying to really "connect" Bennett and the Main Street area, I mean figuratively, since they are not far apart. But Bennett has been there for fifty years. When I think of real sprawl I think of places like Presque Isle, Bangor, Augusta, etc.
Oh, and the Sleepers store downtown is no longer a dollar store.
Reno's, Burger Boy, Napolis, SW Collins, Family Dollar, city hall, the courthouse, Shop and Save, the library, Dunkin Donuts, three banks, the Legion, the Chamber, Maine Dance Academy, a bunch of offices and a bunch of other shops are all right downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine