Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 01:58 PM

27 posts, read 60,772 times

Advertisements

A stretch of Rt. 3 going out of Ellsworth toward Mount Desert has been
changed to a one-way road.
When did this happen?
I hadn't been down that way in a couple of months, but discovered it today when I saw traffic in the far left lane seemingly driving toward a head-on collision; then I realized the road-paint had been changed and saw a one-way sign.
I know the summertime traffic heading to & from the Bar Harbor region can be a bit heavy, and that it bottlenecks in the region which is now one-way, yet I can't help but think there will be trouble of another kind next summer when the tourists discover a one-way road not shown on their maps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 02:05 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,661,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by People-of-the-North View Post
When did this happen?
I hadn't been down that way in a couple of months, but discovered it today when I saw traffic in the far left lane seemingly driving toward a head-on collision; then I realized the road-paint had been changed and saw a one-way sign.
I know the summertime traffic heading to & from the Bar Harbor region can be a bit heavy, and that it bottlenecks in the region which is now one-way, yet I can't help but think there will be trouble of another kind next summer when the tourists discover a one-way road not shown on their maps.
Their on board "navi" systems will be updated long before next summer. As long as it's one way out of town rather than in to town then it's ok.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:08 PM

642 posts, read 1,255,397 times
There have been lots of near misses since the change to one way traffic on the first day of school in September. Myrick Street is more confusing to me that the one way portion of Rte. 3. Something had to be done and I'm waiting for a full tourist season to pass before I pass judgement.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:21 PM

27 posts, read 60,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Their on board "navi" systems will be updated long before next summer. As long as it's one way out of town rather than in to town then it's ok.
I suppose the luddites who have not embraced travel under the watchful eye of satellite-surveillance will muddle through somehow.
After all, I did.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:51 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,237,647 times
The state says that more traffic comes down rt 1a than comes up rt 1 now. I still feel that the real bottle-neck now is the main street intersection at the bridge. The whole of main street traffic must stop if some body wants to make a left turn onto state street. The traffic then backs up across the bridge onto bridge hill.

Myrick strett will be a really big mess this winter, when nobody will be able to read all the street arrows. There should be some nice accidents with the traffic crossing lanes there.

Old 12-16-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinB View Post
The state says that more traffic comes down rt 1a than comes up rt 1 now. I still feel that the real bottle-neck now is the main street intersection at the bridge. The whole of main street traffic must stop if some body wants to make a left turn onto state street. The traffic then backs up across the bridge onto bridge hill.

Myrick strett will be a really big mess this winter, when nobody will be able to read all the street arrows. There should be some nice accidents with the traffic crossing lanes there.
You are soooo right. Myrick Street on a dark drizzly night is wretchedly difficult to travel on and if the lane lines are snow covered....watch out. And the Bridge Hill situation is always difficult. Sometimes traffic is backed up two miles on the Bucksport Road.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,461,765 times
Boy oh boy, I hadn't heard anything about that but it sure is good to know!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:48 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,932,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by People-of-the-North View Post
When did this happen?
All of this is nothing, and I mean nothing compared to the exercise in "chutes and ladders" that the traffic patterns around and through the Maine Coast Mall has become.

This is what happens when people who design highways grow up playing computer games without supervision.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadianlion View Post
All of this is nothing, and I mean nothing compared to the exercise in "chutes and ladders" that the traffic patterns around and through the Maine Coast Mall has become.

This is what happens when people who design highways grow up playing computer games without supervision.
It would be LOL if it weren't for older drivers who are struggling so with it. I reserved comment until I had a few weeks under my belt and now I feel justified in saying it is a hateful mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine