Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 12:04 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,303 times

Advertisements

I don't care for storm door, it is inconvenience to have to go trough 2 doors to get in to the house. Wife think we should put one in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2008, 12:16 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,246 times
Boon, my storm door is a Pella. The top window rolls down inside the door to reveal a built in screen in the summer. The storm door adds an extra layer of draft protection in the winter, and the screened window adds an element of cooling via the screen in the summer. I can't imagine not having one. I believe I got it at Lowe's and it was about $250. It cost me another $100 to have it put in, since I'm not skilled in that arena.

Plus, it's fun to be on the inside of it looking out the glass door at a storm... which you'll be doing plenty of up there!

Old 12-21-2008, 12:41 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,652,840 times
We do not have one (yet...) but are going to even if we have to do major modification to the doorway (which we likely will.)

I will want one that has lots of glass that can be removed in favor of screens in the summer, but we both are in agreement here.

Old 12-21-2008, 12:50 PM

Here's a shot of it with the top window rolled down and the screen automatically there... I described it wrong above... it's not the window that rolls down inside itself, it's the screen that does. When the top window is up you can't see the screen, but when you slide the window down, the screen appears. No messing around taking glass in and out of the door. And no worries about which one screen is for the front door! lol
Attached Thumbnails
storm door (pro/con) for Maine climate-img_2408.jpg  

Old 12-21-2008, 01:35 PM

653 posts, read 1,918,303 times
thanks CM, that remind me of hurricane season in Miami, when we put the shutters up, feel like you live in the cave, finaly we replaced all the windows and patio doors with the shatter proof kind, it is nice to see out side when you have to be in the house for long period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Boon, my storm door is a Pella. The top window rolls down inside the door to reveal a built in screen in the summer. The storm door adds an extra layer of draft protection in the winter, and the screened window adds an element of cooling via the screen in the summer. I can't imagine not having one. I believe I got it at Lowe's and it was about $250. It cost me another $100 to have it put in, since I'm not skilled in that arena.

Plus, it's fun to be on the inside of it looking out the glass door at a storm... which you'll be doing plenty of up there!

Old 12-21-2008, 01:46 PM

Smart choice for Miami, Boon. I nearly went out of my mind during the 4 hurricanes of 05 that hit south Fl. Especially Wilma because I had no power for 10 days, I couldn't get the electric shutter on the front 10' picture window back up. If I stayed there all year, I'd have done the same thing!
It was very scary to be inside during those storms and not be able to see outside, except through two very small slivers. One in the backyard and one out the front window if I lay on my tummy and looked out. (I didn't roll the shutter all the way to the bottom.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonelsewhere View Post
thanks CM, that remind me of hurricane season in Miami, when we put the shutters up, feel like you live in the cave, finaly we replaced all the windows and patio doors with the shatter proof kind, it is nice to see out side when you have to be in the house for long period of time.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:29 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,663,209 times
Hi Boon,

Storm doors are a good idea in Maine. The newer insulated steel doors are good though the steel will be cold enough for frost to form on the inside of the house without a storm door . Even if the door is wood and glass the glass will allow frost to form. The frost melts and runs onto the floor. It doesn't sound like a big deal though over time that little bit of water will ruin anything you have for a floor. Plus you'll get water stains in the paint etc. I'd get the storm door. We need to replace our rear storm door. It blew off in a storm last year and I never got around to fixing it. In that time the inner main door has become ruined from rain, snow and frost. Now I have to replace both of them!

Old 12-21-2008, 02:43 PM

276 posts, read 848,559 times
I wouldn't live anywhere without a storm door. Helps keep the snow out of the house when you are trying to get everything inside in the winter. In the summer, you just have the screen open and let the fresh air blow in and and keep the bugs outside. They are really not that much of a hindrance.

Old 12-21-2008, 02:44 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,204,524 times
i just installed the same type door coastal has a month ago, id recommend it,,,with the cold wind and snow,,i wouldnt be without one,,, when installing the latch and handle,,,go strictly by the directions,,and be cognizant of exactly where the latch is on the inside frame,,in relation to the door handle latch,,,,
i've seen some creative handi-work,,,with storm doors

Old 12-21-2008, 03:13 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,885,476 times
It's a definate neccesity up here. If I didn't have one it would be the first thing on. And Coastal is right, it is neat to look out at the storm and watch the snow flying around. Like today fro instance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine