Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 12:43 PM

440 posts, read 1,691,039 times

Advertisements

Thank you all for all your comments. We had introduced ourselves to this gentleman. When my boyfriend put the mail box in front of our home, the next day the mailman came by and informed us we had to place it on the other side of the street. So my boyfriend went to the neighbor's home because it was going to be put it looked like on his property and asked the man if it would be okay. He met the wife and returned home and said they seemed very nice. Well the next afternoon the ambulances were their and they took someone out. So later on my boyfriend called and left a message because we were concerned. The next day the neighbor called and said thank you for our concern and everything was okay...so I think we attempted to be neighborly...Gussie

Old 12-23-2008, 01:21 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,236,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American girl View Post
Five refuse to pay anything saying they can get out without it. It was most amusing yesterday to drive out and see 5 feet of plowed snow blocking the driveways of the non payers. Take that! I said silently to myself.

Now that is just plain evil....

Old 12-23-2008, 03:07 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,095,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gussie View Post
Thank you all for all your comments. We had introduced ourselves to this gentleman. When my boyfriend put the mail box in front of our home, the next day the mailman came by and informed us we had to place it on the other side of the street. So my boyfriend went to the neighbor's home because it was going to be put it looked like on his property and asked the man if it would be okay. He met the wife and returned home and said they seemed very nice. Well the next afternoon the ambulances were their and they took someone out. So later on my boyfriend called and left a message because we were concerned. The next day the neighbor called and said thank you for our concern and everything was okay...so I think we attempted to be neighborly...Gussie
It sounds like you absolutely did Gussie! I'd rather offer to help someone and be told "all set" than not offer

Old 12-23-2008, 05:26 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
this is a gray area,,,mainers not only like thier privacy,,,they dearly respect the privacy of others...so sometimes we dont volunteer,,,as much,,,maybe its a guy thing,,,men seem to volunteer more when thiers a woman in need...
try not to be so judgemental,,maybe the guy was behind schedule,,,and just couldnt volunteer..also keep in mind,,,,if a fella volunteers,,,maybe he wont place the snow in the right place,,,maybe thiers something under the snow,,the plower doesnt know, that will easily break,,,or worse,,,maybe thiers a white poodle around,,the plower doesnt see...and......

my suggestion,,,,,make some chocolate chip cookies,,bring them over,,,say hi,,,
you may have a friend for life..

Old 12-23-2008, 07:21 PM

95 posts, read 336,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
this is a gray area,,,mainers not only like their privacy,,,they dearly respect the privacy of others...so sometimes we don't volunteer,,,as much,,,maybe its a guy thing,,,men seem to volunteer more when theres a woman in need...
try not to be so judgemental,,maybe the guy was behind schedule,,,and just couldn't volunteer..also keep in mind,,,,if a fella volunteers,,,maybe he wont place the snow in the right place,,,maybe theres something under the snow,,the plower doesn't know, that will easily break,,,or worse,,,maybe theres a white poodle around,,the plower doesn't see...and......

my suggestion,,,,,make some chocolate chip cookies,,bring them over,,,say hi,,,
you may have a friend for life..

All very good points!! funny too, but true!

I love the cookie idea, that's definitely one I'd give a try!

Old 12-23-2008, 07:22 PM

I am not being judgemental.. when a guys truck is practically hitting my boyfriend in the rear end as he is shoveling that huge snow and then gets out and says nothing walking down the street waving at someone like we don't exist, I am not being anyones fool. We have our new snowblower it is awesome and we will remember this incident and say a prayer for people that lack the compassion to help others. I promise you if the situation would have been reversed he would have had his driveway cleared of snow.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:36 PM

740 posts, read 1,881,323 times
It is not common for people to plow you out for free even if they are your neighbors. I have lived in several towns in Maine and have helped neighbors on occasion, but if you do it once they expect you to do it every snow and then other neighbors may want the same treatment. This is how many people make extra income and it is very hard on the vehicle and uses a lot of gas. I wouldn't just your neighbor based on this. Most Mainers are self sufficient and taking care of snow removal is considered just like mowing your lawn and most people wouldn't expect their neighbor to mow their lawn for them for free and without asking.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:23 PM

7,058 posts, read 9,073,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiisai View Post
Plowing is a hot issue!

I have no idea what they charge in ME for that kind of thing. Down here I get $45. for a standard one car driveway, $60 for a two car driveway, and that is per plow. (I plow every 6" -8") Now the customer can ask that I only come once, but it will be at the 8", NOT the end of the storm. (I won't wreck my set up trying to move too much snow, because someone is not willing to pay.) :-(
Like I said that's what I get here.
I'm not there, so I don't know what they charge!! We usually don't get too much snow, here.
I have 700-800 feet of driveway, plus the two sides of the garage with doors and a parking area. My guy charges me $45 for the whole shebang.

Old 12-23-2008, 08:39 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,417,688 times
I agree that I wouldn't expect someone else to clear the drive for me, but I do like to think if I scratch their backs, they'll return the favor occasionally.

Maybe some of you can share the proper way to get the driveway cleared. Do most people have snow blowers or hire someone? And how often is clearing it usually necessary?

Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Whatever.. We are from the Chicago area and we both do what we think is right. No we didn't expect a handout, when you see someone in their mid 70's trying to clear a driveway.. Come on,, It was nonsense. The gas would have been practically nothing.. but then again you can make excuses.. we don't , we have to sleep at night..Merry Christmas!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine