Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 10:41 AM

357 posts, read 1,019,432 times

Advertisements

i think it is the best advice. My gravels driveway is ruined after the snow plow, the driveway was regravels and pack down past summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
After driving a really Big plow for the last 11 yrs. , I think this year I will just sit at home and watch it melt .
But I am sure My Wife and Daughter have " Other " ideas .
Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 11:43 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
I recommend a 4WD Kubota with a snowblower on it. With this wind I can point the chute straight up and some of it might come down in Mainewriter's yard. That's a long way from here.

The advantage is that I don't get frozen snowbanks that no pickup can move. Come February, I become quite popular when people whose driveways are too narrow to plow any more call me to open the driveway up. That Diesel snowblower chews right through those frozen snowbanks and blows them back into the woods.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:39 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
We set out with the snow blower this morning but DH tried to power throught the end of the driveway where the plow had left a pile and lost a shearpin, as we don't have an extra on hand, I gave a call to a neighbor who came up and plowed us out. Our Daughter and three Grandsons are coming tomorrow so, Thursday we'll go to town and I'll pick up some spare shear pins.
My Dh isn't particularly handy, he just knew the "thing wouldn't work" so, I went out and diagnosed the problem and called Wares to see if they had some replacement pins, they do and will have them for me.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:57 PM

Now, don't blame hubby. Sometimes shear pins just wear out. They are an important safety device in case you scoop up a rock or stray cat. I carry a half dozen or more shear pins in my pockets because I don't want to shear one when I'm over a mile from home. I blew out a neighbor's driveway this morning. We got a foot last night and today. The wind is moaning through the bleak and barren hardwoods. My neighbor just gave me a generous jug of Bailey's Irish Cream and just in time too.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:16 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Last winter I was using the front bucket on my tractor to push and then pick-up and carry away the snow. But sometimes I did gouge the driveway underneath.

This winter I have been doing more in terms of packing it down. We had a nice base built-up. But with 2 days of warm rain, all of our snow disappeared.

Last night we got 8 inches of fresh snow, but there is very little underneath it. So I today I was packing it down yet again.

Hey there was talk of sunshine and girls serving drinks with umbrellas, when do they arrive?

As for shear pins, I eat lots of them on my roto-tiller. I have never tried throwing a stray-cat in there to see how that would effect the shear pin though. NMJM thanks for that idea.

Old 12-29-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Now, don't blame hubby. Sometimes shear pins just wear out. They are an important safety device in case you scoop up a rock or stray cat. I carry a half dozen or more shear pins in my pockets because I don't want to shear one when I'm over a mile from home. I blew out a neighbor's driveway this morning. We got a foot last night and today. The wind is moaning through the bleak and barren hardwoods. My neighbor just gave me a generous jug of Bailey's Irish Cream and just in time too.
I do get a wee bit impatient with the DH 'cause he tries to "Bull" his way through things he oughtn't to. I'm gonna pick up a half dozen shear pins in town. I have been running the 'blower but, I wasn't able to this time. I understand we're in for a bit more snow Friday night into Saturday so I arranged for Hazen to plow us out this weekend also.
That Bailey's would be right nice in a cup of coffee this evening! Enjoy!

Last edited by msina; 12-29-2009 at 05:03 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 04:58 PM

2,059 posts, read 4,203,660 times
the bast way for me is to plow.ive seen them pore bas#$%^ out there in the snow and wind lookin like a snow man cold snow blowin up their a$$.im all good on that! my truck has heat,a radio,cup holder,ect.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:08 PM

MSINA, Ever the mistress of understatement:
"I understand we're in for a bit more snow Friday night into Saturday."

"A bit more" doesn't begin to cover it. Getting Hazen lined up ahead of time is very good strategy.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:42 PM

Update:

The National Weather Service rarely uses the term "VERY HIGH IMPACT EVENT". They also rarely use all caps. Tomorrow is the only fair day for the next week. Those who plan will shop to meet their short term needs tomorrow. It will be the safest time to do it for a week.

"From the National Weather Service...

LOW PRESSURE WILL DEVELOP OFF THE MID ATLANTIC STATES THURSDAY NIGHT AND BEGIN
MOVING NORTH AND EAST AS IT INTENSIFIES. BY FRIDAY AFTERNOON THE STORM WILL BE SITTING OVER THE GULF OF MAINE. THIS STORM HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BE A VERY HIGH IMPACT EVENT. THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL REMAIN NEARLY STATIONARY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. THE EXACT
TRACK AND INTENSITY OF THIS STORM IS STILL UNCERTAIN. THE STORM WILL BE SLOW TO MOVE OFF TO THE EAST ON SUNDAY AND MONDAY."

Old 12-29-2009, 08:14 PM

Well,........... this is Maine and it is winter! We'll pick up a few more things at the store tomorrow and happily await the kids arrival in the afternoon. The more snow we get, the longer the Grandbabies (and their Mommy) will stay! I have their beds made up and a pile of gifts for them to open and they have tons of clothes and toys here so as the saying goes,......... let it snow let it snow let it snow!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine