Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 03:22 PM

Location: Hidin' out on the Mexican border;about to move to the Canadian border
732 posts, read 1,340,767 times

Advertisements

I'm from GA, too. I got used to settling for Lipton tea a long time ago. But even my Yankee husband knows the difference between tea made with Lipton and tea made with Luzianne. Community tea bags work well, too. And they can be ordered along with Community coffee, which is the only coffee I drink at home.
Corgis, WV may had split from VA during the War, but it's still Appalachian mountain country, with mountain people. Just as good a being a southerner or being from Maine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 03:32 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,421,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadling81 View Post
I love Luzianne tea also...that is one thing I do miss about being out West. We have yet to find any family sized teabags. Let alone Luzianne.
We're big iced tea drinkers, and always have a big pitcher in the fridge. Drink that stuff like water! Decaf, though...can't be gettin' too excited!
I'm trying to figure out how to make a gallon a day with those little tea bags. That's what we go through. I guess, though, that when it's NOT 95* out for 3 months out of the year, maybe we won't need as much iced tea!

Old 12-24-2008, 04:27 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,362,327 times
You'll find iced tea in Maine, but not the sweet tea of the south. I much prefer southern sweet tea. Had some with my lunch today.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:58 PM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I'm trying to figure out how to make a gallon a day with those little tea bags. That's what we go through. I guess, though, that when it's NOT 95* out for 3 months out of the year, maybe we won't need as much iced tea!
We make it a gallon at a time... this is how K taught me to do it:

at night, bring a gallon of water JUST to boiling in the tea kettle (that is a spatterware KETTLE, not one of those puny things that whistles <g>). While it is boiling, prepare 10-12 little tea bags (or 4 family size Luzianne, preferably!) by taking them out of their paper jackets and tying their tag ends together (or just staple the tags in a bunch, which is what K does).

When the water boils, turn off the gas and put in the teabags, letting the tags hang over the lip of the pot. Put on the lid and wait until morning.

Next morning, add 1 c sugar (or in our case, these days, Splenda) to you one gallon plastic tea picher. Pour in the tea, making sure to hold on to the bags so they don't get lost. Put the bags into the pitcher and let the tag end hang over the edge, to be secured in place by the lid.

Refrigerate.

He takes his with lemon...

Old 12-24-2008, 09:58 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,411 times
Maybe we should start an underground railroad for ice tea. Since the nawth, knows nothing about family size ice tea bags, maybe we should work out a method for selling those items to them yankees, and taking lobstahgrams in return???

Who knows, I prefer sun tea, that can be brewed with any kind of tea, as long as there is some sun to shine on it.

Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 PM

227 posts, read 415,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Maybe we should start an underground railroad for ice tea. Since the nawth, knows nothing about family size ice tea bags, maybe we should work out a method for selling those items to them yankees, and taking lobstahgrams in return???

Who knows, I prefer sun tea, that can be brewed with any kind of tea, as long as there is some sun to shine on it.
Trade system. Great idea!! Let's see, off the top of my head, I would like to see lobster, mussels, brook trout, smelts, and Allen's sent this way. In return, we could offer Luzienne tea, grits, and ummm I don't know, maybe gator tail??? This is only 3 for 5 (2 really, you can find grits in Maine). I'd have to think about other things that I'm sure would be a big hit. Don't knock the gator tail, people. It is delicious cooked properly.

While we're at it can we have this railroad run northwest of Portland?

Old 12-25-2008, 05:55 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,653,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spose View Post
Trade system. Great idea!! Let's see, off the top of my head, I would like to see lobster, mussels, brook trout, smelts, and Allen's sent this way. In return, we could offer Luzienne tea, grits, and ummm I don't know, maybe gator tail??? This is only 3 for 5 (2 really, you can find grits in Maine). I'd have to think about other things that I'm sure would be a big hit. Don't knock the gator tail, people. It is delicious cooked properly.

While we're at it can we have this railroad run northwest of Portland?
Well I won't knock the gator tail but the only time I had it (in a restaurant close to where I worked when I was living in Austin, TX) I got ill after. Not saying it was the meal, not saying it wasn't. I dunno... but even before that I was highly unimpressed. Should it be THAT hard to chew?? And the taste wasn't anything to write home about either.

I guess I should add that generally I am not an adventurous eater; I prefer familiar foods cooked in familiar ways...

That being said, I CAN enjoy new stuff... my next bottle of Allens will not be the pint that I bought recently to taste! <g>

Old 12-25-2008, 06:28 AM

12,845 posts, read 22,014,769 times
I actually had gator tail in Boston a few weekends ago ( at a restaurant called Oishii) and it wasn't bad. I've seen it on menus in Boston and providence but I think it'll be a while before Portland gets it.

Oh, merry Christmas everyone!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:18 AM

227 posts, read 415,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Well I won't knock the gator tail but the only time I had it (in a restaurant close to where I worked when I was living in Austin, TX) I got ill after. Not saying it was the meal, not saying it wasn't. I dunno... but even before that I was highly unimpressed. Should it be THAT hard to chew?? And the taste wasn't anything to write home about either.

I guess I should add that generally I am not an adventurous eater; I prefer familiar foods cooked in familiar ways...

That being said, I CAN enjoy new stuff... my next bottle of Allens will not be the pint that I bought recently to taste! <g>
Merry Christmas!

I have also had gator tail that was chewy but that's NOT how it's supposed to be. I'm not an adventurous eater either. I don't like raw oysters. I don't like clams all that much because the last few times I've had them they seemed extra chewy. I have never had calamari but would try it off someone else's plate. My first experience with gator tail was good. That's what I mean about being prepared properly. I know it's a cliche but it "tastes like chicken".

Old 12-25-2008, 09:44 AM

16,671 posts, read 15,665,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post

I'll be bringing a box of family size tea bags with me when we come to Maine in the spring. I like to make my sun tea in half gallon glass milk bottles. I live on it all summer, but unlike most West Virginians, I don't drink sweet tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine