Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 06:05 PM

37,239 posts, read 60,954,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Out of curiosity, how many people are going to go to the eastern most point in the United States to see if those dudes from the Subaru commercial are going to show up? I mean, they claim to do it every year.

Where exactly is the 'Eastern most point of the US'?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 06:08 PM

114 posts, read 317,634 times
So glad to see we're not the only ones who go to bed early! It's New Year's Day that we often have a nice meal (varies what it's made up of) and then just relax. I miss sledding; when I was very young, we lived on a hill in that was closed in the winter. It was at least a mile long. My two sisters and myself would sled down as far as we could before we careened off the road into a ditch, as the road was winding and usually very icy, too. Then, my sisters sometimes gave me a ride back up the hill, but often just dumped me in the ditch again. Ah, memories!
Are black-eyed peas a true pea or a bean?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:15 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,852,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Where exactly is the 'Eastern most point of the US'?
West Quoddy Head off Lubec. Oddly, East Quoddy is on the north side of Campobello. But it is further east.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:40 PM

701 posts, read 1,077,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reindeerlady View Post
So glad to see we're not the only ones who go to bed early! It's New Year's Day that we often have a nice meal (varies what it's made up of) and then just relax. I miss sledding; when I was very young, we lived on a hill in that was closed in the winter. It was at least a mile long. My two sisters and myself would sled down as far as we could before we careened off the road into a ditch, as the road was winding and usually very icy, too. Then, my sisters sometimes gave me a ride back up the hill, but often just dumped me in the ditch again. Ah, memories!
Are black-eyed peas a true pea or a bean?
I believe black-eyed peas are a bean (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but they won't be in our house New Years! my "real" southern DH won't touch 'em. ( he doesn't like greens either)

Old 12-29-2008, 09:10 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,428,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosX5 View Post
I believe black-eyed peas are a bean (someone correct me if I'm wrong) but they won't be in our house New Years! my "real" southern DH won't touch 'em. ( he doesn't like greens either)
I just had this conversation with a friend here that is originally from SC. She makes a traditional southern meal every New Years Day, called Hoppin' John. (?) It has those funky beans in it along with corn bread and some other unidentifiable ingredients. It's supposed to bring good luck for the new year. While I'll take all the luck I can get, it's a really unpleasant experience. Not quite traumatizing, but close.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM

701 posts, read 1,077,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
What are your traditions, what do you eat, etc?

We've ALWAYS eaten corned beef, cabbage, blackeyed peas & cornbread. I don't remember a single year we didn't. As I'm studying my Irish heritage, there will be some modifications to the menu to follow more closely with my roots.

We haven't done much fireworks over the last several years, since they're all outlawed inside the city limits and can't even be BROUGHT into the city limits of Houston anymore. They even go to the trouble of setting up sting ops just outside the city where the fireworks stands are all set up. They watch cars as they leave the stands, and as soon as they cross back into the city, they nab 'em! Silly, I think.

We prefer a nice bonfire. Sometimes it's too hot for a big one, but we try to made a little one and spend some "quality time" around the fire. I follow nature's calendar and the turning of the seasons more closely, so there are other times of year that are more important to me, but I do try to honor the traditions that I've always enjoyed with my grandmother and family.

I can't imagine that New Year's in Maine would be celebrated much differently, but let's see!
Elcarim, we're stealing the bonfire idea! My little ones are old enough to experience that (until bedtime) so hopefully it will become a new tradition for us. Plus Boyscouts and bonfires just go together, they are very busy gathering wood, making a pit etc........and it should be cold enough

Old 12-30-2008, 10:46 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,957,562 times
I'm going to have a peaceful, restful day New Year's Eve, I hope. Children, granddogs are leaving today. Decorations are down and I'm going to vaccuum the dog hair left from 4 very active dogs and then I have Sarah Graves newest book. I'm going to pamper myself and in the evening we'll have a big breakfast for dinner and probably be in bed long before midnight.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:57 AM

27 posts, read 60,416 times
Default New Year's Fire Celebrations

If you like the bonfire idea, then consider how New Year's Eve is celebrated in Scotland, where they have their own name for it, Hogmanay

Flaming torchparades, fireballs swung in circles by marching men in the dark of night, etc.But that's all quite safe compared with young boys rolling burning barrels of pitch down hills, or even main street, and throwing lit torches around, as was done traditionally in days gone by.

Such a pity we don't have any such tradition here....or do we?
There are quite a many people of Scottish & British descent here in Maine...myself included.

There are many other traditions as well, including First Footing, etc.
If this is new to you, you can learn more here:

Did You Know? - New Year's Eve - Hogmanay

Old 12-30-2008, 11:21 AM

37,239 posts, read 60,954,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by People-of-the-North View Post
If you like the bonfire idea, then consider how New Year's Eve is celebrated in Scotland, where they have their own name for it, Hogmanay
We celebrated Hogmanay many times while living in Scotland.

I just have a difficult time drinking that much.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:23 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,326,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgis View Post
I'm going to have a peaceful, restful day New Year's Eve, I hope. Children, granddogs are leaving today. Decorations are down and I'm going to vaccuum the dog hair left from 4 very active dogs and then I have Sarah Graves newest book. I'm going to pamper myself and in the evening we'll have a big breakfast for dinner and probably be in bed long before midnight.
Sounds like a great plan!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine