Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2009, 09:43 PM

264 posts, read 758,575 times

Advertisements

So, we went ahead with our trip up to our house ( //www.city-data.com/forum/maine...s-van-not.html ).

The van did really well... We had a small issue on Sun (Dec 28th). We woke up and our road was a big sheet of Ice and goes slightly uphill to get to rt 188. The van just would not move and we were heading out for the day to go skiing. Our VERY nice neighbors (3 different ones) helped show us how to use the dirt piled on the side of the rode on top of the snow to use for traction as well as toss dirt under the tires and helped us get up the hill. I also now know how to call the city to ask them to dirt our road when we wake up to a road like that. I met quite a few neighbors this time as well with ones down the road a bit. Everyone up there is so very nice. Other then that small issue... the van was great in the snow... just didn't like the hill on solid ice! LOL

Only other issue we had but we made due... we arrived at our house (2 houses - 1st is a 3 bdrm mobile home which is winterized, 2nd is a small cottage which we keep running with heat etc for when we come up). So obviously we had to stay in the cottage for heat etc. Last time we came up, the water stopped working on about our 8th day, we went to the PSI gauge and saw it stopped working and my husband did something (i have no clue!) and got it working again which made the water work again. So, when I arrived... No water! I went and checked the PSI gauge remembering watching him and I told him it looked like it burnt out or something (no clue what i was talking about...) He was worried at first and I told him, don't worry, I may not know how to fix it... BUT I can survive without running water. I grew up going to my friends cabin in Pocono Mountains, PA to ski almost every weekend in the winter and she had a woodstove, electric and no water. We flushed toilets with water we got from the stream behind her cabin and managed just fine.

I told my husband... the kids have been looking forward to this trip for so long, I won't let this ruin it.

We ran to Lincoln Walmart to get enough jugs of water to drink and cook with. We boiled snow and filled our 7 gallon water tank I keep at the house to wash dishes and flush the toilet and did so again when needed. We had heat and electric so we were more then ok.

I did call out a plumber and find out it is the PSI gauge, but then it was the issue of fix it now just for this trip OR get it fixed next trip up in Mid to end of March. Since the other house is winterized and the cottage we keep the heat running anyway, I said lets do it next trip so we can have it planned out to get fixed as we arrive. I hope I choose the right thing and all else stays ok!

All in all, we had a WONDERFUL trip, the kids LOVED being up at the house and did not want to come home. They want to know when we can move up for good.

If anyone wants to check out any pics they are in my album ( //www.city-data.com/forum/membe...aine-trip.html )

We had such a nice time and can't wait till we are up there for good, but until then we'll just keep enjoying our trips up every few months! We come up every single break I have from college. I am soo close to graduating and then we are ready!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 04:28 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,884,828 times
Nice pictures. You have a good looking family there. Glad you had a good trip despite the gage and calling a plumber. We'll keep a light on for ya in March.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:34 AM

114 posts, read 318,826 times
Great snow cave! Looks like you all had fun and met some nice folks, good for you.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:22 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,096,282 times
oh! I love the pictures! And you are SO resourceful! Good for you! One of these times you're heading up we should all get together I'm glad you had a wonderful time and didn't let anything prevent that

Old 01-06-2009, 07:47 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,535,602 times
You have such a great spirit! I'm glad you had a good trip.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:34 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,378,632 times
YOu and the kids are adorable and you look so happy.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM

740 posts, read 1,881,464 times
Looks like fun had by all! Good luck with your water.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 AM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
What a great story!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:05 PM

722 posts, read 1,511,017 times
NJ2ME great pics glad you had a good time and your kids looked like they were having the time of their lives. Skiing was the highlight of winter for me as a kid, I guess thats why I still love winter, even though I only hit the slopes once a year if I am lucky.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:25 PM

566 posts, read 1,417,388 times
Looks like you all had a lot of fun. Good for you for working with what you had. That is the true Maine way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: