Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,958,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I've been reading this thread a few days and I wanted to add my smart a--ed 2 cents which may not be agreed with. First I think nanny state laws occur more frequently on a federal level. I read a few months ago where a NY congressman wanted to enact a law making it illegal to talk on a cell phone while walking on the street. Seems some moron in NYC was doing it and crossed against the light. The last time he'll do that. Alot of the stupid laws like that one (lots more off them too) take out the "Darwin Effect" of culling the herd and getting rid of the stupid ones. The herd needs culling. My only worry is someone may think I'm stupid! (The opinions exprressed here may not those of the management)

And, sorry if I step on any toes, but medical is expensive because of malpractice insurance, caused by liability, caused by lawsuits, caused by lawyers and plaintiffs. Some doctors see themselves as God and the patients are believing it too. If the Dr can't cure/fix them, sue the bas.... Solution: decrease foolish (frivolous is too nice a word) lawsuits. Do lawyers the same way as state reperesentitives. Amount by population. California can have 20, Maine 2. See how many foolish lawsuits get brought up then. IMHO

I totally agree with the need for tort reform - but the people who make the law are most usually lawyers and they hate tort reform, so it doesn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 09:54 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,183,377 times
i say we scrap the whole system and start over.get rid of every one and hire back the ones that accualy did their job.get rid of all the dead weight.put the jail birds to work.no sence in feeding them if they are not going to work.no more free rides.and the state would learn to live with in their budget.if their department ran out of money then they get time off till the state had the money to give to them.they would learn to budget or go home.me and every mainer has to budget why not them.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:14 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,138,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
I've been thinking about this for a little bit. The original topic is good. If the conversation doesn't go back to Maine being a nanny state the thread is going to end up being locked.

Your right. Check out the "ban cell phones" article, and let's discuss!

I believe that would qualify under the "nanny" question.

I did an "informal poll" on my way home from the grocery store today.
I stopped at 15 cars, but 12 of them had people talking on cell phones.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:30 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,043,489 times
I read the article.... and I understand the "hands free" issue. I kind of agree--but here's my concern... does it stop at a cell phone? or is my coffee going too? What about holding my deposit in my hand as I'm driving up to the drive-through window at the bank? What about drive-throughs in general? I've been driving for 26 years, 27 years in March. I think I'm capable of making an intelligent decision about what I can handle.

Now, the other thing I haven't been able to understand is this: why is it distracting to talk on a cell in a vehicle but it's not distracting to have a conversation with a passenger in your vehicle? or have a toddler climbing out of their car seat?

Anyway, I very rarely talk on my phone while I drive. I have pulled over on the side of the road so that I can have a conversation with someone if it's going to last more than a minute. Actually that's a necessity in many places in Maine with the coverage we have!

Oh, but as the mom of 3 teens? I want them stopped if they're driving and yapping on that phone--and if they're texting?? Well, they won't be driving anything I own.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:31 PM

:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reloop View Post
Your right. Check out the "ban cell phones" article, and let's discuss!

I believe that would qualify under the "nanny" question.

I did an "informal poll" on my way home from the grocery store today.
I stopped at 15 cars, but 12 of them had people talking on cell phones.
i was reading that this morning on my way to work then my phone rang so i had to put the paper down,and while reaching for my phone the coffee in my other hand spilt witch made me yell and in doing so my cigarett flew out of my mouth and set my paper on fire.so i had to make a split decisition.put the fire out ,answer the phone,dump my coffee on the flame.and while driveing with my knee.becouse my hands were full.so i put the fire out with the phone.lit another cig and drank my coffee.

Last edited by RANGER.101ST; 01-13-2009 at 02:09 PM..

Old 01-13-2009, 01:33 PM

so if they ban cells does that mean the police have to take their lap tops out of their cars and not talk one their phones.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:41 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,431,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post
so if they ban cells does that mean the police have to take their lap tops out of their cars and not talk one their phones.
I think it means everyone would be required to use a Blue Tooth type of hands free system. It's quite common in most other states.

Sorry about your commute this morning. What a horrible way to start the day!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:43 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,043,489 times
Nope... that must have been the part of the article that burned! EMS gets all their gadgets.... so the guy driving the hook n ladder can be yapping away while rushing through downtown Bangor to get to a school bus that caught on fire--but the school bus driver couldn't call for help because he was behind the wheel.....

(sorry! Ranger inspired story! )

Old 01-13-2009, 02:16 PM

19,959 posts, read 30,016,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollysmiles View Post
I read the article.... and I understand the "hands free" issue. I kind of agree--but here's my concern... does it stop at a cell phone? or is my coffee going too? What about holding my deposit in my hand as I'm driving up to the drive-through window at the bank? What about drive-throughs in general? I've been driving for 26 years, 27 years in March. I think I'm capable of making an intelligent decision about what I can handle.

Now, the other thing I haven't been able to understand is this: why is it distracting to talk on a cell in a vehicle but it's not distracting to have a conversation with a passenger in your vehicle? or have a toddler climbing out of their car seat?

Anyway, I very rarely talk on my phone while I drive. I have pulled over on the side of the road so that I can have a conversation with someone if it's going to last more than a minute. Actually that's a necessity in many places in Maine with the coverage we have!

Oh, but as the mom of 3 teens? I want them stopped if they're driving and yapping on that phone--and if they're texting?? Well, they won't be driving anything I own.
All good points molly, and what about the older folks holding a poodle as they drive??

and what about ,,,you can drive a motocycle without a helmet,,but we have a seatbelt in a car law??

where does it end,,,??????????????????????????????????

how many kids get injured every year riding thier bike??? i say we ban/outlaw all bikes!!! that way none would get hurt,,,,

also, i propose,,everyone operating a car/truck be mandatory to wear a helmet,,,how many folks get head injuries,,,every year...because they didnt wear a helmet while driving??

also,,,,,because more deaths are caused by obesity related illness,,,,anyone over 20lbs overweight,,,cannot go to mcdonalds,,or buy a candy bar at a store,,,
if a bartender, can be liable for ,,serving someone that has had too much to drink,,,then why not hold restaurants and stores accountable,,,for selling junk food to overweight people??

sound ridiculous??? YES IT DOES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:19 PM

3,638 posts, read 6,138,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER.101ST View Post

Nope. Emergency workers would be exempt from the law.

Will you be suing the coffee company for your doused cigarette?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine