Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Question..
Is a home that is 20yrs or younger and "Older Home?"

I always assumed that homes that are 50 to 75 yrs older .. are older homes.?

We are a very insulated home. When we hooked up our ice maker to our frig, he tapped throu the wall into the bathroom and we were amazed at the amount of insulation that was in interior walls.
I always remember to this day that we spent about 400.00 for a year of heat in our house. I know costs were down but for a 3 br home compared to 400.00 every two months.. it was a great change.

I am sorry, I apologize. I did not mean any insult.

I do not know what an 'older' home is.

I once owned a home that was built in 1840. Our apartment building that we own now in Ct was built in 1890.

If a person were in the process of building a home [like we are]; then I would humbly suggest this as an alternative method of having very nice large windows that work well.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 AM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Question..
Is a home that is 20yrs or younger and "Older Home?"

I always assumed that homes that are 50 to 75 yrs older .. are older homes.?

We are a very insulated home. When we hooked up our ice maker to our frig, he tapped throu the wall into the bathroom and we were amazed at the amount of insulation that was in interior walls.
I always remember to this day that we spent about 400.00 for a year of heat in our house. I know costs were down but for a 3 br home compared to 400.00 every two months.. it was a great change.
I wouldn't consider a 20 year old home to be an "older" home. Our place is 70 plus years old now and though it's pretty old it's relatively young in comparison to a lot of the old victorian homes along the coast and mid town areas. It's well built though with full sized dimension lumber, granite carrying columns in the cellar, huge ship lap carrying timbers and a double foundation,one granite and one concrete.
It would be nice to reinsulate the walls in our house but we don't want to drill 1000 holes in the wall and removing the inside walls to do it would be very expensive. I suspect we will eventually redo a room at a time removing the interior walls to reinsulate in the process. It will take years to complete but a house is never ever totally done!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:59 PM

1,698 posts, read 3,338,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I am sorry, I apologize. I did not mean any insult.

I do not know what an 'older' home is.

I once owned a home that was built in 1840. Our apartment building that we own now in Ct was built in 1890.

If a person were in the process of building a home [like we are]; then I would humbly suggest this as an alternative method of having very nice large windows that work well.

I agree...
When my parents built their home they considered everything; roof, walls, heating system, windows etc.

For me, the prior owners made this home to work for their needs. A summer home that had two sources of heat, insulted walls and ceiling and roof that does well.. but the windows must of been something to cut costs down.
You know.... they are nice windows , they flip in to wash and slide okay, but not insulated.

An investment for the near future for us.
In the mean time, we will just make due with our "black out drapes for night time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I wouldn't consider a 20 year old home to be an "older" home. Our place is 70 plus years old now and though it's pretty old it's relatively young in comparison to a lot of the old victorian homes along the coast and mid town areas. It's well built though with full sized dimension lumber, granite carrying columns in the cellar, huge ship lap carrying timbers and a double foundation,one granite and one concrete.
It would be nice to reinsulate the walls in our house but we don't want to drill 1000 holes in the wall and removing the inside walls to do it would be very expensive. I suspect we will eventually redo a room at a time removing the interior walls to reinsulate in the process. It will take years to complete but a house is never ever totally done!
Yeah, that makes sense. Alot of us always have "projects our homes need."
Doing a room or an area at a time is the best we can do.
Unless we are lucky enough to be on Extreme make over show.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:45 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
We began drawing the plans for our house, 10 years before we moved here. We have detailed, scale drawings of most of our home's features.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
Somewhat along these lines, how do you wash quilts? I have several old quilts that I received from my grandparents house when it was sold last year. They smell VERY musty! I need to clean them up, since we'll be able to use them in Maine. Right now, they're keeping cozy in my blanket chest that my grandfather built for me. Fitting place, but I'll be so much happier to see them on the beds.......CLEAN!

I can see that window quilts would be easier to clean, since they're so much smaller. Any suggestions? I really want to be careful not to damage them.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:40 PM

Also, do you guys remember the quilting circles? When I was 5 years old, I can remember my father building a quilting square and hanging it by a pully system in the middle of the sanctuary of our old country church that he pastored at the time. The women would get together once a week on a weekday morning, lower the big frame and sit around the square quilting and gossiping! I used to sit in those hard, wooden pews during services, bored to absolute tears with my head leaned back, looking up at the maze of colors and patterns. I'd try to count the matching swatches!

Maybe we should have our own quilting circle, sip coffee and gossip and work on everyone's window treatments for next winter.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:41 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Somewhat along these lines, how do you wash quilts? I have several old quilts that I received from my grandparents house when it was sold last year. They smell VERY musty! I need to clean them up, since we'll be able to use them in Maine. Right now, they're keeping cozy in my blanket chest that my grandfather built for me. Fitting place, but I'll be so much happier to see them on the beds.......CLEAN!

I can see that window quilts would be easier to clean, since they're so much smaller. Any suggestions? I really want to be careful not to damage them.
El, ours always went into the laundry. Although I guess it would depend upon their age and whether they're sturdy enough for the washer. What type of fabric is the inner layer? If it's the real old wool than the washer may be out of the question?
We would hang them out on the line to dry. If you don't have a line, anything will do. Well, not anything..... a pine limb wouldn't be good, but you know....a fence or a deck railing would work.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:44 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
My 26 yr old DD just signed up for a 8 week quilting class last week. I don't know where she got that gene from, cetainly wasn't me.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:45 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,383,339 times
The quilts I make are for use, I throw them in the washer. They're mainly from scrap and small amounts of fabric I put together. I'd like to do a denim quilt from old jeans. I would enjoy being part of a quilting bee. I can load 6-7 stitches, hand quilting. There are places that give quilting lessons as well as many local quilting guilds, circles and such around the State.

Old 01-18-2009, 07:48 PM

I've only made two quilts in my life - both for my babies. I'd love to learn to quilt properly and make my own treasures to pass down to my children. My mother has quilts that my great grandmother made, and I now have quilts that my grandmother made. They're priceless heirlooms to me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine