Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 08:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,593 times

Advertisements

I caught an ad on tv yesterday for a company called Maine Woodland Properties - a real estate developer based in Portland. They are offering gated community wooded lots in Machiasport. I did some research already on the town and a Better Business search on the company, and am contemplating taking the drive there this weekend for their "tour" of the area. Beach access 2-acre lots start at $34K.

Does anyone have input on gated community living/restrictions, or this company?

Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,581 times
Gated community? Maine's idea of a gated community is a cabled off dirt road.
As far as Machiasport goes I have been there a few times I have never seen a beach Although one may exist. I would do more research If I were you For all I know this may be legit

Old 06-28-2006, 11:42 AM

53 posts, read 261,625 times
Did you make the drive? There aren't too many gated communities around here... not much need for it. Even in Bar Harbor you can pretty much drive up the driveway. Here in Bangor the King's have a wrought iron fence around thier property as much for looks as anything as the gate is always open.. except on Halloween!

Old 04-10-2007, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 40,689 times
Default Lots for Sale in Machiasport

Here's their website: mainewoodlands.com/property.asp. Am I allowed to give that?

Old 04-03-2008, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 4,258 times
Default gated community

Hi there,
I will be moving to Machiasport in June. We are building on oceanfront property on indianhead Road. I have a beach. The gated community is called YOHO Head about 4 miles beyond us. They supposedily are putting in a golf course, dock for boat anchorage, and have ocean front lots. We looked here about 8 years ago. Lots were about 2 acres. My lot is 10 acres and I paid 20,000 less then at YOHO, at that time. There are some lots available on my road and in some other areas before me. This is a great area. Close to Machias and UMM. I fell in love the minute I arrived and can't wait for the move. We will be retiring here. Hope that helps, Take a ride and fall in love with Downeast!
mary

Old 04-03-2008, 07:48 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Machiasport is too close to the Navy's Ultra Low Frequency Antenna Array in Cutler for my tastes. The jury is still out on the health effects of this array. Think HAARP (Alaska) for similar site comparisons. I wouldn't want to live anywhere near it. That's just me. For study materials Google- Very Low Frequency Cancer. Lots of reading on the subject. Twenty-nine 1000 foot towers!

Last edited by Maineah; 04-03-2008 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: additional info

Old 04-03-2008, 08:56 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,490,642 times
Yep, we looked there. It is entirely too spooky. Any kind of radio transmitter that can reach a submarine anywhere in the world is something I would want to look at closely. They claim it travels through the center of the earth to reach submarines. That's two million watts of RF power at extremely low frequency. Because of the frequency of the radio waves, the skin of the human body does not shield the cells. VLF electromagnetic fields are believed to reduce the bodies ability to fight off cancer. Think about it, if the radio wave can penetrate through the entire earth, what protection does the skin offer. I doubt you would ever hear the government talk about this. When the array location was chosen, very few people lived in the Cutler area. Sort of like Nevada and Utah where they did above and underground nuclear tests in the early 1950's.

Last edited by maine4.us; 04-03-2008 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: omission

Old 04-03-2008, 09:07 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maine4.us View Post
Yep, we looked there. It is entirely too spooky. Any kind of radio transmitter that can reach a submarine anywhere in the world is something I would want to look at closely. They claim it travels through the center of the earth to reach submarines. That's two million watts of RF power at extremely low frequency.
I bought a bunch of radio tubes from a retired HAM operator in Machiasport several years ago. His radio shack looked right at the array. He was moving away from the area as his wife had died from lymphoma which he blamed on the antenna array.....naturally there's no direct proof he said but he just didn't like the idea of living near it anymore. I think it's real spooky looking with all of those towers looming out there. I'd feel much safer living in sight of a nuclear power plant. At least the radiation at one of those facilities is contained. I have a feeling the proximity of the array has something to do with the relatively low shorefront property prices in the area.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Having spent 20+ years as a submariner, those transmitters play a very important role.

VLF can go right through water, but it can only carry a very few letters per minute, it is a slow form of comms. However even VLF can not go down to the very depths of the ocean. It's signals do wrap around the planet very nicely, but they just do not go down very deep into the water.

Having always heard of 'Cutler' during my career, that was one of the first places that I had to go and tour when I retired and moved up here. An amazing antenna farm.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:16 PM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
... I'd feel much safer living in sight of a nuclear power plant. At least the radiation at one of those facilities is contained. I have a feeling the proximity of the array has something to do with the relatively low shorefront property prices in the area.
I agree that the radiation from the power plant is well shielded, I have spent a lot of time living very close to nuc power plants, today's tech is pretty good in terms of shielding them.

And there is no method of shielding VLF, up close like that.

10,000 miles away and with x___x foot of water over you is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine