U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 7,970 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are retired and looking to relocate to Maine. We have grown children in Northern Maine, which is why we chose Maine. My husband needs to keep busy and we both worked for govt agencies til this past Oct. Hoping to find something that he could do as maintenance at a resort area or property (maybe both of us) part-time. He still works part-time here at a condo village doing maintenance and some security. Any suggestions??
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 AM

1,220 posts, read 3,695,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlnut02 View Post
My husband and I are retired and looking to relocate to Maine. We have grown children in Northern Maine, which is why we chose Maine. My husband needs to keep busy and we both worked for govt agencies til this past Oct. Hoping to find something that he could do as maintenance at a resort area or property (maybe both of us) part-time. He still works part-time here at a condo village doing maintenance and some security. Any suggestions??
My Mother and Father retired to Maine in 1969. Dad had been a school executive and had wanted to live in Maine for as long as I remembered. They moved to Belfast where my Mother's mother's family came from, and they had a wonderful life, both passing away in their mid nineties, this past spring.

So indeed what you are thinking of doing may well be a wonderful experience for you both.

Now, some questions, though. Is your husband's "keeping busy" employment, and does it provide income that you need to have in order to meet expenses? If his employment is a sort of hobby job done more for fun and earning money isn't important then that is one scenario. If he NEEDS to find employment, it is quite a different situation.

If vountarism is something that he and you need to do, then there are organizations that will welcome you with open arms. The National Park Service will be happy to have senior volunteers at Acadia National Park, for instance, and I believe that the State of Maine can use volunteers for some of their programs as well. In addition there are places like the Owl's Head Transportation Museum in Owl's Head that have a large cadre of seniors working to support the day by day operations and special events of the museum, and there are other organizations of that sort.

Finding handyman jobs may well prove tough at this point, since jobs that are available that pay anything will be more and more sought after as the recession deepens. Resort communities hire regular staff for maintenance, and there are relative few condominium communities that are similar to where you live right now, anywhere in Maine.

Where do you live now? With that information and a bit more detail about likes and expectations this forum can provide more and better information.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:35 PM

2 posts, read 7,970 times
Default retiring to maine

Thanks for the info. We do have a retirement income. My husband uses his p/t for his hobbies. We both do a lot of extra activities in Massachusetts. I've tried so many web sites looking that after a while, it becomes a blur. We will be going to Maine in a few weeks to look around. We plan on renting to see about roots, so if something comes along, we'll see about buying. We also talked about Florida, but most of our family is up north.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:54 PM

33,343 posts, read 54,743,218 times
Welcome to Maine!

I retired in 2001, moved to Maine in 2005. We like it here.

Come on up, look around, do some touring and no doubt you may find an area that you like.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:26 PM

21,347 posts, read 7,948,611 times
Quote:
Thanks for the info. We do have a retirement income. My husband uses his p/t for his hobbies. We both do a lot of extra activities in Massachusetts. I've tried so many web sites looking that after a while, it becomes a blur. We will be going to Maine in a few weeks to look around. We plan on renting to see about roots, so if something comes along, we'll see about buying. We also talked about Florida, but most of our family is up north.
If you haven't already, you may want to think about checking out Down East Magazines website... there's a gal who wrote a book/let about moving and/or retiring to Maine and you can find it through their site with their section n books about Maine. Maine vacation, real estate, shopping, dining, literary resource from Down East Magazine You may find it quite resourceful. The title is 'Moving to Maine: The Essential Guide To Get You There And What You Need To Know To Stay; 2nd Edition'. The author is Victoria Doudera. Acadian has salient information for you as well.

I was born and raised 30 miles west of Boston, but have been on the Cape for 30 years. Are you anywhere near the Cape? There's a few people on the forum from the Cape who are also making plans to move to Searsport, which is right next to Belfast. Great area for retirement imo.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:13 PM

722 posts, read 1,409,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
You may find it quite resourceful. The title is 'Moving to Maine: The Essential Guide To Get You There And What You Need To Know To Stay; 2nd Edition'. The author is Victoria Doudera. Acadian has salient information for you as well.
Victoria Doudera also wrote Where to Retire in Maine. I own both books and they are great.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:35 AM

70 posts, read 122,822 times
Quote:

Should be no doubt owlnut02, Owls Head is the place for you. You want to work at a resort, try the Samoset Resort beautiful location.

Samoset Resort, Camden- Rockport Maine

Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM

143 posts, read 237,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
If you haven't already, you may want to think about checking out Down East Magazines website... there's a gal who wrote a book/let about moving and/or retiring to Maine and you can find it through their site with their section n books about Maine. Maine vacation, real estate, shopping, dining, literary resource from Down East Magazine You may find it quite resourceful. The title is 'Moving to Maine: The Essential Guide To Get You There And What You Need To Know To Stay; 2nd Edition'. The author is Victoria Doudera. Acadian has salient information for you as well.

I was born and raised 30 miles west of Boston, but have been on the Cape for 30 years. Are you anywhere near the Cape? There's a few people on the forum from the Cape who are also making plans to move to Searsport, which is right next to Belfast. Great area for retirement imo.

Good luck to you!
Ditto on Victoria Doudera's book, Moving to Maine. I'm one of the other Cape Codders who is wanting very much to move to ME, particularly Searsport. The book was a great help in my search for Maine info. This forum has been veddy, veddy good as well.....great people and so willing to help out. Hi, Coastal!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where you been?

Old 01-26-2009, 03:36 PM

33,343 posts, read 54,743,218 times
Maine has a lot of different regions.

Travel around and you can see for yourself what fits you best.

We really like just a hair North of Bangor.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:24 PM

Location: MA/ME (the way life should not be / the way it should be)
1,267 posts, read 1,177,595 times
Just as an fyi, you just revived a multi year old dead thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine