Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 03:26 PM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times

Advertisements

Ok, As of July 31, 2009 Amtrak's Downeaster service from Portland to Boston will lose it's federal funding. The line costs over $13 Million to operate and Maine paid about $1.5 Million of that with the fed kicking in the rest (Mass and NH don't contribute). Like most other mass transit lines worldwide, Downeaster is subsidized and runs at a deficit (this is normal).

My question is, what's going to happen after July 31, 2009? Has the state pledged to fund the whole thing? Mass and NH will not pay (Mass and NH are working on their own rail lines and budget woes) and state budgets nationwide are being slashed.

This is a weird situation because Brunswick is planning on building a station (construction may have already started) and the state wants to expand the Amtrak service and Saco just expanded their station. However, there hasn't been any pledge of funding yet from anywhere (that I've heard of anyway) which means as of right now, there are no funds to operate the Downeaster beyond July 31, 2009.

Why build new stations and expand current ones if funding isn't yet in place to continue the service? If they DO plan to continue service, where is Maine going to get the funding to keep operating it?

I've been following this for a while, but I can't seem to figure out what in the heck is going to happen come August? Anyone have any insight? I'd hate to see Maine lose rail service to Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:21 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
Soon, the passengers pay the real price of this "convenience."

Old 01-28-2009, 08:57 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,097,338 times
I wouldn't mind paying the real price for this important transportation link, as long as vehicle owners (yes, including me) were also required to pay the "real price" for their "convenience" of driving personal vehicles. Start with the billions spent on the ethanol subsidy boondoggle so we can all burn E10 gas and get lower gas mileage. Maine's share of that money alone would keep the Downeaster going and underwrite the track improvement and operations for service to Brunswick, Lewiston, Augusta, and beyond.

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-30-2009 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: removed political statement

Old 01-30-2009, 03:31 PM

No intention of starting a disagreement here, but essentially, no one knows what's going to happen after July?

Any way this is funded by the potential stimulus?

This is one of the strangest situations I've ever seen in regards to a transit project. It seems like just about everyone expects it to keep running... even to the degree where prospective stations are about to (or have broken ground) and current ones have expanded. Yet it's going to require a huge chunk of money from the state (while budgets are being cut) and that money has yet to be secured.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:05 PM

89 posts, read 260,902 times
Amtrak Downeaster funding may be in limbo (http://www.theforecaster.net/story.php?storyid=17704 - broken link)

PORTLAND — Under Gov. John Baldacci’s proposed state budget, funding for the Amtrak Downeaster may hinge on the federal government’s willingness to broaden the use of transportation dollars for rail operations.

Last edited by 7th generation; 01-30-2009 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: do NOT post copy right material

Old 01-30-2009, 04:13 PM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
Of course Agusta won't fund it. They can't afford to pay attention!!! And Pingree will say anything to stay in Washington. And I'm for almost anything to keep her out of Augusta. Money will come from somewhere. But really, it takes longer and is more expensive than the bus from the same station.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the article Chandler!

It reiterates that there is no degree of certainty that funding will be available for this service. I hopeful that there is, but that article doesn't offer much in the way of hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Of course Agusta won't fund it. They can't afford to pay attention!!! And Pingree will say anything to stay in Washington. And I'm for almost anything to keep her out of Augusta. Money will come from somewhere. But really, it takes longer and is more expensive than the bus from the same station.
It's funny you mention the bus scenario. I've been involved with a rail project in South Eastern Massachusetts (South Coast Commuter Rail) and mentioning the bus service argument that you did was common among non-commuters.

Rail, just about anywhere in the U.S. is slower than bus service (the Acela from Boston to D.C. being the lone exception). It's also more expensive to take the train. However, rail has higher ridership numbers (particularly in the Northeast) than bus services that do the same routes (note: higher ridership in terms of percent of capacity used as well as actual numbers... trains obviously carry more passengers than buses). The reason for this is comfort and reliability. Trains are more comfortable... it's a smoother ride with more leg room, elbow room and freedom to move around. There are conveniences like snack cars and large enough bathrooms that buses don't have. Many people take advantage of their time on the train to get work done that they couldn't do on a bus or car (writing on a moving bus is tough).

Rail is also more reliable due to the fact that it's not subject to obstacles in the road like buses are (The Downeaster is an exception to this rule.. it's often 1/2 hour or more late as it is second priority to freight rail in Maine and NH and is second priority to local commuter rail trains in MA... it often has to stop and allow trains to pass). Traffic Jams, Road Construction and Accidents all make bus service a gamble that most of the time, trains don't worry about. For those reasons, people are willing to pay a bit more and ride a bit longer on a train to take advantage of the additional comforts.

just looking at the numbers though, it's difficult to see why anyone would take rail over a bus (aside from the novelty of riding on a train).

Old 01-31-2009, 11:47 AM

89 posts, read 260,902 times
I certainly hope it does continue to operate - and I think it will.

I was looking forward to "escaping" to Boston for a day or so when Portland started to seem too small. That way I could come back and appreciate living in Portland.

80 days and counting...

Old 01-31-2009, 11:56 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,888,747 times
It is nice to ride that train to Boston. Takes a while but it is relaxing and the scenery is nice. Beats driving into Boston. Would like to see it stay running even if I don't use it that much.

Old 01-31-2009, 12:27 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,384,753 times
I like to take the bus to Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine