U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 05:23 PM

89 posts, read 245,199 times

Advertisements

I have been researching Maine for quite some time and recently learned that the State is trying to legalize gay marriage.

Do you think that it will pass?

I am in a committed gay relationship for over 5 years and would love to live in a state that gave equal rights to all. We, in Minnesota, having very few rights protecting us.

Just so this post doesn't turn into a war zone I don't care as to religious theology. The question would be political equality. If the State is going give a document to two people for legal and tax rights, it should not make it available to some and not to others.
Rate this post positively

Old 01-30-2009, 06:27 PM

3,392 posts, read 6,562,371 times
I don't really agree with the statement about political equality. I consider it more of economic equality. Yes, I think that it could well pass in this legislature. They will do about anything in Augusta to distract people from looking at what they are actually doing there right now.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:38 PM

5,054 posts, read 11,758,451 times
Sensitive subject, of course. Wow, I'm NOT well known for tact around here, (SSShhhh y'all! ) but let me go on my limb and hope I word this with political correctness.

I believe that same sex marriages will become legal in all states as our country progresses as a people and develop better attitudes of tolerance and acceptance. I may be naive there, but this is my humble opinion. Some will say, now that we've finally elected our first African American President, ANYTHING is possible, and MANY things will happen just because that door has been opened, THANK GOODNESS! It's about damned time!

I also believe that the government (of Maine or any other part of our nation) has absolutely NO business in religious OR personal affairs. They *supposedly* can't meddle in church affairs, leaving citizens to worship and give money to whomever and however they choose, but they can still tell a man or woman who they can legally commit their lives to outside the church?

Uhuh. That, in my opinion, is definitely employing a double standard and is just plain wrong.

That's my 2 cents! And when I'm a legal citizen of Maine, I'll voice my opinion on paper that counts.

Old 01-30-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
Sensitive subject, of course. Wow, I'm NOT well known for tact around here, (SSShhhh y'all! ) but let me go on my limb and hope I word this with political correctness.
I am also not very politically correct - but I am trying to not get a "reputation".

I just do not know how Maine politics work... I hope it will pass (but that is my opinion).

Old 01-30-2009, 10:20 PM

2,059 posts, read 3,950,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler85 View Post
I am also not very politically correct - but I am trying to not get a "reputation".

I just do not know how Maine politics work... I hope it will pass (but that is my opinion).
maine politics dont work that's the problem.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,120,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandler85 View Post
I have been researching Maine for quite some time and recently learned that the State is trying to legalize gay marriage.

Do you think that it will pass?

I am in a committed gay relationship for over 5 years and would love to live in a state that gave equal rights to all. We, in Minnesota, having very few rights protecting us.

Just so this post doesn't turn into a war zone I don't care as to religious theology. The question would be political equality. If the State is going give a document to two people for legal and tax rights, it should not make it available to some and not to others.

Do you have some factual basis for this, perhaps in the form of a link to a creditable source, or are you just initiating a discussion on the matter?

Old 01-31-2009, 01:32 AM

Maine gay marriage law proposed - Bangor Daily News (http://bangornews.com/detail/97129.html - broken link)
GLAD - Equal Justice Under Law | News & Multimedia | News | GLAD Applauds Marriage Legislation in Maine

Old 01-31-2009, 07:06 AM

3,035 posts, read 5,455,388 times
Boy, what a hornets nest. Glad to see you didn't just start up the thread and run like h*ll. I agree with AustinB; more economic than political. From what i gather, not knowing much about it, there is no guarentee (? can't think of the right word) that in the event of a death of one the other person has no financial or estate rights. Also health benefits where one person works and the other doesn't work outside the home. Correct?

I don't believe that in this instance marriage is the answer. I think this sort of stuff is why we have lawyers. You can talk love and committment but their are heteros that cohabitate and never get married who are sort of in the same boat. My opinion is there ought to be something that satisfies all people that can't or don't get married. Such as setting up the estates beforehand. Or businesses that offer health ins. etc making it available to partners. Home Depot was talking about doing that once. Of course that was affter they caught it for the pet insurance fiasco.
Now this is assuming that I have the correct idea on it.

I'm a traditionalist and I don't see same sex relationships as a marriage, per se. I think it is cohabitation like people who don't want to get married. I also think there are a few on both sides that only bring it up to get more press for their cause. Give them a big spoon because they simply want to stir up s**t. Anyway, that's my opinion. Hope I didn't scuff any shoes.

Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 AM

19,548 posts, read 27,196,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
Boy, what a hornets nest. Glad to see you didn't just start up the thread and run like h*ll. I agree with AustinB; more economic than political. From what i gather, not knowing much about it, there is no guarentee (? can't think of the right word) that in the event of a death of one the other person has no financial or estate rights. Also health benefits where one person works and the other doesn't work outside the home. Correct?

I don't believe that in this instance marriage is the answer. I think this sort of stuff is why we have lawyers. You can talk love and committment but their are heteros that cohabitate and never get married who are sort of in the same boat. My opinion is there ought to be something that satisfies all people that can't or don't get married. Such as setting up the estates beforehand. Or businesses that offer health ins. etc making it available to partners. Home Depot was talking about doing that once. Of course that was affter they caught it for the pet insurance fiasco.
Now this is assuming that I have the correct idea on it.

I'm a traditionalist and I don't see same sex relationships as a marriage, per se. I think it is cohabitation like people who don't want to get married. I also think there are a few on both sides that only bring it up to get more press for their cause. Give them a big spoon because they simply want to stir up s**t. Anyway, that's my opinion. Hope I didn't scuff any shoes.
good post,,though my views have softened thru the years on this subject, i believe a different approach would work better than calling it "MARRIAGE"
a life "partnership" or something to that affect, because as one post mentioned, if gay "marriage" is passed, what about the men/woman living together???
"marriage" has been ingrained in most of us,,its between a man and a woman,,
put another way, if i go to the hardware store and ask for a hammer, and the clerk brings me a sledge hammer, thats not what i asked for,, it may be still a hammer in his mind,,,but two different things

Old 01-31-2009, 08:04 AM

3,035 posts, read 5,455,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
good post,,though my views have softened thru the years on this subject, i believe a different approach would work better than calling it "MARRIAGE"
a life "partnership" or something to that affect, because as one post mentioned, if gay "marriage" is passed, what about the men/woman living together???
"marriage" has been ingrained in most of us,,its between a man and a woman,,
put another way, if i go to the hardware store and ask for a hammer, and the clerk brings me a sledge hammer, thats not what i asked for,, it may be still a hammer in his mind,,,but two different things
Yes, that's what I was trying to get across. Didn't do it well. Not enough coffee yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: