Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 AM

37,241 posts, read 60,963,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I don't know enough about hunting to be a contributing voice to this thread, but in my limited knowledge, it seems to me that if you shoot a deer on your own land, you shouldn't have to pay anyone for it. It's consuming IT'S food from YOUR land, right? Then, you will take the deer and pay for someone to butcher it for you, and I would think there would be taxes involved in that part of the process. You're feeding your family, feeding the processors and feeding the state tax authority. Not to mention the fact that the state is already taxing you for owning your land and "your" deer in the first place. Yet, they want more!
I have been told that it is a good idea to carry a license all year around. So I do.

If animals are eating your crops, or if they are harassing your livestock, then you do not need a license; to shoot them.

My 'crop' is my trees, so ....

It appears that most of our neighbor's have full chest freezers, and I guess that most of them have a license some years too.

In theory your not supposed to shoot within 100 yards of your house, but that seems to only apply to hunters.

We target practice near our house all the time.

If your shooting animals harassing your crops or livestock; then it appears that shooting from your porch seems to be okay.

I do not really know, more than what folks tell me. I have not 'gone' hunting yet. Though I do have a license.

Our freezers are too full.

We need to eat what we have to make room for more meat, before I actually go out 'hunting'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM

2,059 posts, read 4,181,925 times
what a crock they cant work with the money they allready get so they gota up the fee's greedy bunch of son!@#$%^&*.hay i have an idea augusta im not being taxed for the bathroom breaks i take each day wana look in to that and let me no what you think.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:02 AM

139 posts, read 360,836 times
I will stop buying my license and start up more photography! It's more fun and less messy!

Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 AM

3,638 posts, read 6,136,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Living View Post
I will stop buying my license and start up more photography! It's more fun and less messy!
It won't provide your daily requirement of protein however...

Old 02-06-2009, 10:34 AM

502 posts, read 1,729,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
I have been told that it is a good idea to carry a license all year around. So I do.

If animals are eating your crops, or if they are harassing your livestock, then you do not need a license; to shoot them.

My 'crop' is my trees, so ....

It appears that most of our neighbor's have full chest freezers, and I guess that most of them have a license some years too.

In theory your not supposed to shoot within 100 yards of your house, but that seems to only apply to hunters.

We target practice near our house all the time.

If your shooting animals harassing your crops or livestock; then it appears that shooting from your porch seems to be okay.

I do not really know, more than what folks tell me. I have not 'gone' hunting yet. Though I do have a license.

Our freezers are too full.

We need to eat what we have to make room for more meat, before I actually go out 'hunting'.
My experience in southern maine is that you can't just shoot animals that may be eating a crop. We had to contact a game warden and attempt a couple other non-lethal methods first. They then gave us permission, but we had to contact neighbors and let them know what was happening since the shooting was going to be after dark.

We never did shoot the deer. Seems they know when you are watching.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:45 AM

6,614 posts, read 13,457,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowfax1997 View Post
My experience in southern maine is that you can't just shoot animals that may be eating a crop. We had to contact a game warden and attempt a couple other non-lethal methods first. They then gave us permission, but we had to contact neighbors and let them know what was happening since the shooting was going to be after dark.

We never did shoot the deer. Seems they know when you are watching.
You're right. There's a permit with specifics required to do this legally.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:56 PM

37,241 posts, read 60,963,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
You're right. There's a permit with specifics required to do this legally.
Thank you.

I had been told otherwise.

Thank you for setting me 'straight'

Old 02-08-2009, 06:59 AM
JC3

296 posts, read 820,199 times
Speaking of raising license fees, which is in my opinion just another tax increase, coming soon...saltwater fishing licenses. The last "free" means of fishing will be going by the wayside. Maine and other NE states have not jumped on the bandwagon but will be doing so soon.

They say if they don't "tax" you, the fed govt will and no money will come to the state. And what does the person get for this fee? Nothing from what I can see. Supposedly some way that the govt can contact you for fishing stats and info. I would gladly call them for FREE and provide them with info if they want it that bad.

The sportsman evidently doesn't pay enough as it is. We are taxed when we purchase equipment for hunting, fishing, trapping..etc..etc. We are taxed when we buy gas if we go to do these activities. We are required to have licenses which we pay for. We are already providing revenue for businesses and stores by these purchases. In some cases rental fees for ice houses and the cost for cabins or places to stay.

If the monies for these fees or increases add wardens or give back something of substance to the sportsman who is paying for it, then I could buy the "increase", if wardens are cut or services by fish and game or other agencies are cut, then they shouldn't need extra money.

As far as I am concerned, it is all just another "tax" increase and like many of these tax increases, nothing changes and you receive nothing in return.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:45 AM

3,466 posts, read 7,194,810 times
I own enough land that this doesn't affect me. Course any deer taken from out there would taste terrible.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:56 AM

502 posts, read 1,729,740 times
While i resent another fee, the ocean fishing license should be jumped on by the state and keep the money here rather than send to the feds and maybe get a little back. Their reasoning though is flawed - make people pay for a license so they can keep track of the fish caught. Yeah right. If they wanted to keep track of the fish, just create a website that people can enter a record of their catch. Are they really going to be on the ocean stopping people and checking catches? Or is someone really going to be calling me randomly to see what I have caught? yeah right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine