Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 10:43 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times

Advertisements

And this is the dead of winter!! We are not believing how absolutely beautiful it is here. If we weren't convinced before, we are now. We've seen everything on Route 1 from Portland to Acadia Park and back to Bangor. Tomorrow we check out Hampden and on up around Old Town more thoroughly. We loved the feel of Winterport, but its main street is Rt 1, which we know will be congested all summer. If we can find another similar main street town off of Rt 1, I believe we'd be in Heaven! Belfast is where we're staying in an attempt to stay mid-coast among the towns we'll most likely want to choose from. We have not seen Damariscotta yet, but intend to later in the week. Belfast has a nice downtown, but it's a little bigger than we're desiring.

The other thing that bears mentioning brings up a comment on these boards that I've seen a couple of times about Mainers being "aloof". The people we've encountered on this trip have been, by far, the nicest and most polite people we've ever met. Every wait person, clerk and fellow customer in line have not only smiled and been extraordinarily friendly, but most have randomly struck up conversations with us. It beats all I've ever seen! When you smile and wave at people in Texas, they look at you like you're an alien! This is simply incredible. Our 5 year old daughter even asked today why everyone was being so nice to us. That was sad! We're really having a hard time with the thought of going back to the rude and careless people we've always been surrounded by now that we know a whole other world is waiting for us!

Any quick suggestions on more main street type towns we can check out? We're looking for a popluation of approx 2500-5000 tops. We only have 3 more days to tour the state and want to make the most of it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 05:23 AM

53 posts, read 261,625 times
I am glad you are finding Maine to be so kind to you. It is beautiful.. albeit the warmth is a bit "unseasonal". It should be about 10 degrees cooler... and the past two weeks should have been abot 30 degrees warmer! A big "swing" for us the past couple of weeks.

Winterport is on 1A... it is busy, but not as busy as Route 1, which takes you from Belfast up over the bridge at Verona into Bucksport.

Depending on where work will take you.. Stockton Springs is nice and central between Belfast and Bangor, though the busy Route 1 takes you right through it. Turn off onto one of the streets on the river side and poke around down in there. Also, just north of Bangor is Orono (college town) but Main Street there gets busy too.

I just can't remember where you said you wanted to be located. "Main Streets" can get real small off the beaten path, but if you position yourself properly, you will have quick access to the big towns and the small. I have found Bangor to be just the right size for me and well located. Small town "feel" with big town ammenities... including great schools.

Tell me a bit more about what you are really looking for, now that you have seen some of what we have to offer here.

Old 03-14-2007, 05:52 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
elcarim,,,,another mainstreet, off rte 1?? wiscasset and damariscotta are nice, but congested in the summer,,,,thomaston is very nice,(just south of rockland)
it's great to hear your compliments of maine and mainers,,

Old 03-14-2007, 06:00 AM

Hi there. We want to be within an hour of Bangor, preferrably on the ocean or pretty darn near it. Our "ideal" town has views of sea and mountains. Not sure if it exists, but we're looking! We want a smallish, main street community that our kids can grow up in, surrounded by close friends. It would be nice to be in a place where everyone knows most everyone in the community. And we love the history in this place. It really speaks to us! I'm sure we'll find that in any town we choose here.

We also want to be in an area that is not run down, like a few we've seen this week. Most are just old, and that's wonderful, but the town needs to be concious of upkeep.

We will be renting the first couple of years until we get more of a feel for the area we think we want to be in, then we'll invest in a home. We want to avoid Portland as much as possible,though it beats Houston by a landslide. Still, it's just too urban for our taste.

Thanks for all the help!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:16 AM

53 posts, read 261,625 times
To get an ocean view (frontage) and avoid busy Route 1.... and to be within about an hour of Bangor, you want to be looking down around Castine, Blue Hill, Stonington, etc... you'll find pricing a bit higher the closer you get to the ocean, especially with a view or frontage. Point your car that way! Let me know what you think.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:24 AM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
If you truly do not need to be on the water, consider Corinth or Unity.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:58 AM

30 posts, read 145,699 times
Default Welcome to Maine !

Glad you made it up here Elcarim, and I'm thrilled at the reception you're getting from Mainers. That is how it's always been for me in the 10+ years I've been here. I opted to buy land with a view of Mt. Katahdin, it was a tough choice between the water and that mountain view!! I am about 45 minutes north of Bangor and the ride there has become very routine and no big deal, we can do it with our eyes closed (but we don't!). We usually end up going at least once a week for something, but if we want to see a movie or go to the mall, we definitely have to head to Bangor/Orono. Hope you enjoy the rest of your stay .
Godspeed.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:48 AM

1,594 posts, read 4,096,836 times
I've been hearing wonderful things about Bucksport lately, especially its small town atmosphere and cozy downtown. It's on the Penobscot River, tidal, with a very nice walk along the river and boat landing. Route 1 goes along lower Main, but the upper part of the village is quieter. It does have a paper mill at the north end, so if that's a factor, be warned.

For another visitor's take on Bucksport, check out Ted Bastien's online comic strip, "Bugsport," at http://tedsstudio.com/bugsport/ He and his family have vacationed in nearby Orland four or five times, and they love the place.

Belfast is pretty close to perfect regarding your requirements. I think it's a pretty neat town.

Old 03-14-2007, 09:03 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
It sounds wonderful! I am so glad to hear the enthusiasm in your posts.

As I am headed up to Maine come May, and going in particular to Belfast, I wonder if you can share where you are lodging. Last time I was in town, I stayed at a terrific, but rather expensive B&B off the main street.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:23 PM

The papermill in Bucksport ruins it for us. It's ugly and smells bad. I think we've narrowed our choices down to Belfast or Damariscotta. They are both equal distance from two major paid Fire/EMS departments for DH to work with. They also both offer the main street feel we're looking for and wonderful townsfolk who have been so extremely friendly and helpful.

Thanks for all the info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine