Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 PM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times

Advertisements

Some days it's sooooooooo freaking hard to shut up.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:50 PM

468 posts, read 758,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
...it IS NOT ILLEGAL TO CARRY AN UNLOADED GUN IN MAINE PEOPLE! You may get all nervous and upset , run indoors, hide the children and pets, and think we're all criminals or crazed killers but YOU are the ones who need to assimilate and explore the culture of your adopted state.

Hear, hear!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:46 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,665,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Writer View Post
Some days it's sooooooooo freaking hard to shut up.
I just hope you were not planning to defend the anti's!

Old 04-04-2011, 08:53 PM

625 posts, read 791,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
That "when in Rome" line was used in the deep south to defend lynchings and segregation; it was used to justify the oppression of Poles, Irish, Italians and other immigrant communities; it was used to justify a host of societal problems that finally were addressed.....from dog and rooster fighting to incest to child and spousal abuse.

I am not saying that hunting fits into the same catagory.....but I am feeling that just because something has "always been done that way" doesnt make it right or sacred or sacresosanct. I moved to Maine "from away".....but I have not given up my beliefs, convictions, values....and would not expect anyone else to.

I certainly appreciate that the custom of draping dead dear or goats or whatever else got shot....is less prevelent today. I know that hunting is legal....and will continue to be so....but the display of the carnage is upsetting to many others...why go out of ones way to offend and upset others. It is so unnecessary.
Your comparing people lynching people to hunting! You say not but then why even bring it up?

You moved here thats the way it is here.

Up here it is not less prevalent. It is a way of life. Every local palce that checks animals posts pictures of both the animal and sometimes the hunter as well. Nobody who hunts goes out of there way to offend anyone! If your offended by this then moving to a place steeped in hunting and the outdoor lifestyle in general then maybe you should l have thought about that before you moved here. We did not come to you and hunt you came to us.

The fact is our lifestyle has been under attack more and more from those who do not even live here based on what THEY think.

We do not hunt to make you go eww. We hunt to put MEAT in our freezer. Wholesome Meat that the government nor any farmer has filled with god knows what mix of chemicals.

That said when a person persons make a effort to tell me what I am doing as taught to me by my father him by his and him by his and so on is wrong or in any way upsetting then I have to say to bad!

There are lots of places in the USA that have no hunting tradition. You woudl feel much better living there where you woudl never have the chance of seeing a dead animal. You could buy all your meat from the store all nice and clean free from the reality of how it got there.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:40 PM

12,836 posts, read 22,009,846 times
I'm not getting involved in the debate in the last couple of posts. However, am I the only one who finds it a little ironic (and a lot sad) that many of the people griping about outsiders' perceptions, notions and attitudes toward Maine are same people who use the state of Massachusetts' name as a derogatory term ("Massachusetts North")?

Get a grip. I've met some people here (MA) who are incredibly ignorant regarding all things Maine. I've met plenty in Maine (even Southern Maine) who are just as ignorant about everywhere else on the planet. Ignorance regarding other places is (unfortunately) to be expected no matter where you are. I don't know what's so "puzzling" about it. Enjoy where you live and move on.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:04 PM

326 posts, read 433,722 times
Gosh, now I am the one PUZZLED with the attitude towards Maine!
I have never hunt, and believe I never will (I think it is gruesome), however I eat meat, and would love to taste some game meat that was hunted down by some friends (no hypocrisy here). But why this strong attitude for & against it? Hunting is not forbidden in ME and never will be. Having guns is according to our constitution, a right. Although I never owned one and I am pretty certain I never will - and yeah...you would look mighty silly caring one in the streets of a city. No need to feel like this right is gonna be taken away because the people from away has moved in.
Relax fellas!
On both sides of the aisle. Geez Louise!

Old 04-05-2011, 12:52 AM

468 posts, read 758,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainerWannabe View Post
Gosh, now I am the one PUZZLED with the attitude towards Maine!
I have never hunt, and believe I never will (I think it is gruesome), however I eat meat, and would love to taste some game meat that was hunted down by some friends (no hypocrisy here). But why this strong attitude for & against it? Hunting is not forbidden in ME and never will be. Having guns is according to our constitution, a right. Although I never owned one and I am pretty certain I never will - and yeah...you would look mighty silly caring one in the streets of a city. No need to feel like this right is gonna be taken away because the people from away has moved in.
Relax fellas!
On both sides of the aisle. Geez Louise!
Oh, I don't know. I've seen many places where a fair number of new people move in and things become outlawed. Please, don't be so sure of it being otherwise. Rural America is FULL of stories of being overrun by expanding cities. Stories such as zoning being enacted or dramatically increased in scope and scale. Taxes being raised to support curbside trash collection rather than running to the dump/recycling center yourself, laws being enacted against the discharge of firearms especially (even if they can't outright take the gun from you.) Laws go up against RVs or unregistered cars being stored in front yards (or even side and back yards!) Clotheslines become banned. Boards of health start counting how many cats and/or dogs you have, never mind how many roosters you have cooped up. Some towns have fought back with things such as right-to-farm laws - to protect long time farmers against the yuppies moving in, screaming about the hogs, and then outlawing plowing, spreading manure with the honey wagon, etc., etc. etc. People move in, land gets posted "no hunting."

I'm sorry, but it happens ALL too often.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:36 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,539,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
I just hope you were not planning to defend the anti's!
Me? Anti hunting? The woman who really does own more camo than dresses? That's kinda funny! Nope, not me.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 04-05-2011 at 07:27 PM..

Old 04-05-2011, 07:41 AM

7,395 posts, read 13,098,774 times
Beltrams, I wish I could disagree with that last post of yours, because it bothers me so much, but, unfortunately, it's very true. In addition to what you've said, I'd also add that we're now in a position of having to protect waterfront (ocean) access so that those who make their living on the water can actually get to it! It's not good.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:51 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,381,005 times
I have to add my 2 cents (sigh). I'm an animal lover, I don't hunt but, I'm from a family that has always hunted and have enjoyed my share of game meat. I also understand population control in some animals/areas. Just as I have no issue with animals raised for meat, I have no issue with hunters. Locally we have a coyote contest that thins out the coyote population. While thay're not used for meat (of course) they can become overpopulated, killing not only deer and other natural food sources but also peoples pets and livestock. There have been many instances of coyotes accross the country attacking small children.
Legally hunting game is a tradition that keeps the population under control and feeds many families. Taking a good sized deer is cause for celebration as that means that family will have meat for the winter and there will be less starvation of the deer that year.
(steps down from her soapbox)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
View detailed profiles of: